Secret Place in Paris? Place des Fetes

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secret Place in Paris? Place des Fetes

I read about this place on a website about Paris but to be honest, I cannot find any reference to it in a guidebook or elsewhere online. I thought someone here might know.

Apparently in front of 13 rue des Fetes at the lower end of the place des Fetes, there is a door that leads to a passage and some secret gardens. Has anyone heard of this place or actually visited? I am going to try to find it in April but not sure I want to go on a wild goose chase.

Any information appreciated.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM
jenifer

Topping for coldwar.

Sounds interesting.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I don't know about that particular spot, but there are various residential streets in Paris that are sort of secluded, meant only for the local residents, and have some gardens. The Mouzaia area of the 19th arr is one of those, but it is a little north of that particular location you mention. I wouldn't go out of my way to go up there for there, it's not unique, you can see similar things elsewhere. The ones that really are "secret" (which generally means not open to the public, maybe the gate is locked or something) you may not be able to get in. I've seen some of them as they have fairly regular tours with names like "secret gardens of Paris" or similar in Pariscope. They are in French, however.

One such area which really is nice is Cite des Fleurs in the 17th arr. YOu should find mention of that somewhere, maybe in a Michelin guide or something. It's on a map by that name, just a bit north of the Brocant metro stop. I don't recall if anyone off the street can walk up it or not without a special key for the gate, but maybe.

Other such areas that are typically on "secret garden" tours are the small streets right across the street, west of Parc Montsouris. They are lovely and anyone can walk on them (rue du Parc du Montsouris, etc). There is also the Cite Florale area near there across the border in the 13th which is also public. This is just NW of place de Rungis and should be on a good map (rues des Orchidess, Glycines, etc.).

I imagine the place up in the 19th is similar to those streets.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:30 PM

You could have a look in Thirza Valois's books on Paris Walks.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. I have Valois' Romantic Paris and saw no mention of it but will try the other book.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Here's a link to a NY Times article on Paris secret gardens. There's no mention of the one you're looking for but thought you might be interested in reading the article. You might need an ID to access the article. If so and you don't want to sign up for the NYT email me and I'll send the Word document.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/arti...52C1A9649C8B63
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic article! Many thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Adrienne: Thanks! This is just the kind of thing I love.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I don't particularly recommend this as an excursion, but if you are out there, follow the Rue des Fetes down to Rue Levert and then to the end of the Rue des Envierges, where there is a nice view of the city above the Parc de Belleville.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM

This is one of the most interesting Paris threads I've seen in a long, long time.

No, I didn't see that mentioned in either Thirza Vallois' "Romantic Paris" nor her "Around & About Paris".

Any more?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM

If you go into www.pagesjaunes.fr and put in 'rue des fetes' and '75019', you will get some listings (but not one for # 13). Choose one, like the restaurant at #17, go to its photo, then "walk"
to the left a couple of doors up the street. You can see a photo of a doorway and a metal gate. Neither looks like a place you could wander in, though...
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut: Thanks for the site.

I was able to see 12 rue des Fetes but not 13 either. What a mystery! Well I will be there in April and I suppose have to find it myself.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:06 PM

This is exciting. I checked my Paris par Arrondissement map and there is a Jardin du Regard de la Lanterne listed.

It is near the little point rue des Fêtes makes with rue de Pt. St.-Gervais off the Pl. des Fêtes. It actually looks like it's on the corner of rue A. Thierry and rue Compans. Think I'll try that on the yellow pages and see what comes up. It is a listed garden though.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM

http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/

In the pages jaunes (above) type in 3 rue Augustin Thierry and you'll get three views of the little park. I don't think the surrounding area would be worth the trip. There are many much more attractive parks in Paris with lovely surroundings instead of highrise apts.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Adrienne: Thanks for the very intriguing article. I'll be taking a printout of it with me to Paris in October. It was really thoughtful of you to share this information with the rest of us.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Hey Adrienne, I'm so glad you posted that article, but I must say that between this thread & that article I'm now obsessing over all the tiny green spaces on the Plan de Paris. I don't think this obsession is ever going to let up. Every time I think I've done everything in Paris and gotten it all out of my system, something new & intgriguing pops up.

SalB, that's a nifty website for Les Pages Jaunes. I use www.pagesjaunes.fr all the time but I didn't know about this link to it. It's really cool, isn't it? As you're clicking the arrows to see subsequent photos you can note the arrow on the map moving with you as well so that you can tell which direction you're going! Tres cool!!!

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Hi Beatchick - I'm with you on the Paris obsession. It seems like that's the one place I can never have enough information on. If your obsession leads you to compile a list of all the parks, gardens, etc. let us know. That's an entry I'm missing from the Paris section on my web site and one I'd like to complete soon.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Oh, Adrienne, you know me only too well. That's EXACTLY what I plan to do in between studying - ar ar ar!!

I didn't know you have a website!! What's the URL? You may e-mail me that info if you wish.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Are we sharing Paris obsessions now? My wife gives me grief because I keep a map of Paris in our master bathroom. Not framed, mind you...just an ordinary map of Paris that I go over almost every day, searching for something I haven't seen. Only 11 more months until I can return
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM

LOL!! Zeppo, it appears we are sharing Paris obsessions now! I keep a mapbook & whatever latest Paris guidebook I happen to have. Right now it's the Cadogan Guide to Paris.

I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to get to go next Christmas with my children.

Oh, God, please let the months pass quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -