General Strike called for 29th June!!

Jun 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

General Strike called for 29th June!!

The unions have announced a strike for the 29th June, as of now there is no way of knowing who will respond to it & join the strike.
Anyone with plans for visiting ancient sites that day should have a plan B so that days can be juggled & these visits made on the 28th or 30th.
I would expect some, or all, of the public transport systems to take part, but not taxis.
All of the above can be worked around once we know exactly who is on strike.
The 2 biggest potentials for disruption are ferry workers & Air Traffic Control. I am hoping ATC workers wll take the same stance as last time & refuse to join the strike because of the tourist season.
As soon as any of them announce participation (or not) details I will update, but I suspect this won't start to be known until at least the middle of next week.
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Obviously the Greek unions don't realize or care how precarious the country's financial situation is.
Jun 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Let's not go crazy about this...
Just avoid the center of Athens on the 29th. Rent a car, go to a beach nearby (Varkiza, Lagonissi - Grand Resort Hotel, Saronida, Anavyssos, Legraena, Sounion), enjoy the sea and the sun, have a "kalamaraki" (fryed squidd) or "htapodaki" (octopus in oil & vinegar) at a traditional taverna, drink some ouzo, enjoy the sunset and come back in the evening (if you're staying at a hotel in Athens center). You won't even feel that there's been a strike.
Have fun!
PS: If you go to Sounion for a swimm, go to the beach right beneath the archaelogical site and rent a sea-bike! It' s must!
Jun 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM

On the contrary, I definitely think that they are clearly demonstrating just how much they DO care.
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

bettyk,
you said <>

This is not meant as a political discussion thread, I am only trying to help people make or rearrange plans & to be prepared.
Just to put things in perspective this will be the 7th day of general strikes in SIX MONTHS! It seems more because of previous negative media coverage, but no worse than many other countries this year, BA etc in UK, strikes in France etc, not to mention volcano problems!
Let's keep to facts as they emerge & try to help people make alternative arrangements where necessary.
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM

We have just returned from Greece. They are in a very complex situation now however one night over an ouzo our hotel owner told us that these strikes are intended to send a message to the government that the people want government corruption to end and past officials to end up in jail. That will go a long way to taking car of Greece's debt and economic problems. As Brotherlee says the people do care.
We walked by a demonstration in early June and everything was under control and daily life went on uninterrupted just steps away from where the demonstration took place. Lets pray that the foreign anarchists do not come to Greece this time.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Just to let you know that I've not disappeared! As of yet there are no confirmed participants, I am checking whenever I can!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:24 AM

I was reading that the Greek government has promised to compensate all travellers who are delayed by strikes - have you heard about this yiassas?
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

I have heard about it, not 'compensation', but actual room & board costs. Here's a report in English,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10372235.stm
As this seems to be a new decision I will see if there are any further details in the Greek press.
Now everyone will be hoping for strikes to extend their holiday!
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Still no confirmation from anyone as to who is taking part, still checking all union/Greek news sites as often as possible.
The Air Traffic Control is the biggest concern, but reading through their last announcement again they inferred that they wouldn't take part at all over the summer season. Let's hope they stick to this!
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Will the ferry to Rhodes be affected?
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM

We are supposed to fly on June 29 at noon! We plan to get to the airport tonight to avoid any transportation hassle tomorrow due to strikes. Is there any other word on ATC or airline/airport workers joining the strike? Does anyone know how the airlines usually handle this-Do we just go to the airport for our scheduled departure time and then wait for the strike to end or...? Any advice welcome! Thank you!
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM

I'm in Folegandros now. Local people here have never heard of the strike! The word in the islands is that if your ferry starts or ends in Piraeus then you could have problems because they will be blockading the port. But if it doesn't (ie if your ferry is between other islands and doesn't involve Piraeus) you should be OK.
I don't know anything about airports as there isn't one here.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

My understanding of announcements so far:
I hope some of fluent Greek speakers will check this all for us, but it's the best I can do at the moment, but it gives you an idea & puts your mind at rest as regards International flights, which will NOT be affected.
So far I have found this re ferries from/to Piraeus,
<>

The Supreme court are making a decision right now as to whether to declare the strike illegal. Please note that the majority of seafarers unions voted NOT to strike.

I have also found that journalists will be I strike, so no news on TV!

ATC not striking, but OSYPA (Federation of Civil Aviation) are, which could create problems for domestic flights only.

My attempt at translating this page re Athens transport,
news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=1231050276
It's my understanding that buses will operate from 8 am to 8 pm , the Trolleys from 07:30 am to 10 pm, while the Electric Railway and Metro from 10am to 4pm .
The tram will operate from 6 am to 12 midnight, but Railway trains and suburban would be immobilized , and 24 employees out on strike. It will only move the trains of the 'social needs'.

Timetables OSE affected today and Wednesday because of the strike. For this reason passengers should check the local offices of the Agency.
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks Yiassas. I found this useful info too.
http://livingingreece.gr/2010/06/27/...reece-june-29/