Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dozens of Athens restaurants fined for price-gouging!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These owners did not wait:

<b>http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-07-27-athens-gouging_x.htm</b>

This brings up an interesting question. Do you think these Olympics will be succesful or not? Many tickets for most events are still available, unheard of in the last 2-3 olympics when this close to the opening ceremonies.

Anybody has a theory as to why this is happening?

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:37 PM

I thought perhaps the threat of terrorist activity might have an effect on the numbers of people attending the games. Also the economy is still a bit shakey here in the US.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think the terrorist fear most likely. Olympics have been targets before.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Maybe people are staying away to protest the fact that authorities are poisoning stray dogs using glass-laced meatballs!! They figure they need to get rid of them fast... because they didn't act early enough to deal with the problem in a humane fashion.
Seems the restaurant owners in the article are about the only ones there who decided to do things in advance!!

There was another thread on here a day or so ago about attending the Olympics, and most people said they'd rather watch on TV, if they were interested at all. The crowds, heat, logistical problems and security concerns will all keep people away.
My husband is there now to work atthe Games and I am quite worried for his safety.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Hotel owners as well will jack up prices for this event. I can wait until after the Olympics to visit Athens. I too feel it is mainly because of the terrorist threat.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Atlanta tickets were available throughout the Olympics.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Yes, gracie, and there were tickets at available at all the other Olympics that I've been to. It actually is kind of neat because it gets some people out to watch sports they normally wouldn't - for example I went to biathlon and luge in Calgary in '88. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I agree! I went to tennis and archery. Basketball and women's volleyball. Several track and field events. Greco-Roman wrestling (which I loved and didn't expect to!) Several others. I was invited to the Opening Ceremonies rehearsal. As usual, I think only opening and closing ceremonies and the swimming and diving finals are sold out. If I hadn't just started a new job I would seriously be considering heading that way!

I saw some of the construction for the Calgary winter games the summer before. I remember how weird the ski jump looked in the middle of the summer in the middle of nowhere (well, I'm sure it was in the middle of somewhere, but it did look very strange and completely misplaced!)
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Hi again gracie - yeah the ski jump etc is kind of in the middle of nowhere... actually just right on the western edge of the city, although that's changing with urban sprawl. But the Olympic Park there is a busy place all this time later, with lots going on all year round. My family lives close to there so I always see it lit up at night as I fly in - it's kind of my landmark.

I'll be heading over to Athens in late August, AFTER the games, to meet my DH for a holiday on Santorini and Mykonos. I chose to avoid the games this time and will be in London while they're on. (But I've gone on about it so much everyone on here likely knows by now)!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Let us know about your trip. I want to &quot;do&quot; Athens and Santorini and am deciding whether or not to add it to my next trip (Italy) or schedule two trips. My friend stayed at Canaves Oia and ever since I saw her pictures I've been dreaming! I'll probably try to stay at the Hilton in Athens on points.

Have a great time, eh?

(Sorry about that feeble attempt at humor!)
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Thanks gracie, I got the humour . I mostly am looking forward to seeing my husband... he's only been gone 3 days and it'll be 5 more weeks of worrying until we reunite. My 2 nights in Athens will be piggy-backing on my husband's stay at the Hotel Plaka. In the one conversation I've had with him he says it's nothing fancy but is clean and the air conditioning works!
We stay at Chromata on Santorini and Rochari on Mykonos.
I will most definitely be doing a trip report when I get back mid-September. Folks on here have been so helpful - I have become quite obsessed with the Fodor's forums.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM

I'm surprised anyone's surprised.

Greece is the smallest country to host a summer Olympics since 1952.

It has to sell seats to people in its wider hinterland - the EuroMed region - To them, Athens is that unpleasant, polluted, ugly dump you change in to catch a plane or ferry to somewhere nice. And it's over a thousand miles from anywhere with a travelling population.

With the Olympics on, is now that unpleasant etc city that's full of construction works.

The stories are that there are actually fewer people travelling to Greece than usual.

From a commercial point of view, putting the Games in Greece was a foolish idea.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:34 AM

&quot;From a commercial point of view, putting the games in Greece was a foolish idea.&quot;

I said as much to the ancients, but would they listen?

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:41 AM

By the way, I just read the article. As long as cafe/hotel owners charge the same rates to everyone (as opposed to selectively nailing tourists) I don't really believe in the concept of price-gouging. I'm open to alternative thoughts, but it seems just to be an extension of the concept of charging what the market will bear.

I have no problem with the government urging Games attendees and others to buy packed lunches from cafes further away from the Games sites, or with providing special subsidized-cost shuttles from outer hotels to the venues, as a way of spreading the wealth around to other businesses.

AA - There was more buzz than usual about whether the venues would be ready on time. This can't have helped ticket sales. But I would have to see the numbers to determine if this is more than just in the imagination of the article author. Mexico City must surely have been hot, for example, as hot as Athens. Wonder how those ticket sales went, for example.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM

Terrorists??? Maybe..to me, more likely the &quot;reason&quot; things aren't selling might be:

A) People think it is too expensive
B) People think it is too expensive and not worth it when they can watch it on TV
C) People think it is too expensive and not worth it whether they can watch it on TV or not
D) People would rather go to to see Greece and not have to hassle with the Olympics, the crowds, the inflated prices, etc.
E) People who don't travel due to fear of terrorists have trouble getting as far as the Safeway much less all the way to Greece.