Search

General Questions...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Questions...

Hi,
I will be in Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome and Assisi between 10/28 and 11/9. Starting in Milan and ending in Rome. This is my first trip to Italy and I'm not sure what to pack regarding the weather. Also, is it OK to wear sneakers while sightseeing and museum hopping? My plan is to put a pair of dress shoes in my backpack so I can switch when entering a church. Last question. What is the cost of postage (airmail) for postcards? Other than a PO where can they be purchased? Thank you so much.
Carol
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Your respect for places of worship does you credit, but for heaven's sake, don't bother to change shoes to go into a church! No one cares what shoes you are wearing, as long as your shoulders and knees are covered - which should not be a problem in November.

You will be most comfortable if you dress in layers: take a cardigan or two and a rainproof outer garment.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM
ira

Hi I,

Ditto Z.

You can often buy stamps at shops that sell post cards or any tabac store, where you can buy bus tickets.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM

IME shops sell stamps but often only for domestic EU mail so find out how much an airmail stamp to the U.S. is so you have the right postage - two stamps will do it but you may be wasting a lot of money

The Vatican Post Office is a good place to buy stamps in person but i believe you must mail the stamps in the Vatican itself as they have their own post office and stamps.

The old rep was that even many Italians went to the Vatican post office to avoid the often dismal Italian post office, where periodically it seems piles of mail are discovered going nowhere

I think Poste Italiano may have improved.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody. I appreciate your advice.

Carol
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:02 AM

I never wear sneakers, whether I'm at home or traveling, unless I'm exercising or at a gym, but that said it's silly to change shoes just to go into a church. People will be way more concerned with what clothing you're wearing (no shorts, bare sleeves, etc.) than what's on your feet.

Just google the weather in Italy a few days before you leave to get a better sense of what to pack.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
J62

At Sunday mass in Assisi this past summer there was a whole troop of nuns (or is it a troupe or a flock?), in full Franciscan nun attire. They were speaking in Italian, English, and several other languages, so I assume they were visiting as a group.

About 1/2 of them were wearing sneakers of one type or another - some even had white sneakers and white socks!!

No need to change your shoes, unless of course your sneakers are the really squeeky on marble floors type.