Gellert Baths

Jan 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Gellert Baths

Has anyone been to these baths? I note it is 3000 ft for 4 or more hrs. What about an hr or two? Is this posssible? Do men have to wear a cap? Would be interested in any recommendations/suggestions.
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:17 AM

We were in Budapest two years ago and we used the Gellert Baths. I do not remember how much we paid, but for us, two hours was enough. Please be aware that it is their custom to do this in the nude. We were aware of this in advance, but choice to wear suits. Although we were certainly the minority with suits on, we felt comfortable in them. I would strongy suggest getting a massage. They are extremely reasonable compaired to the US,and mine was wonderful. The massages are also done in the nude, although I asked for a towel, none were given to me, so be prepared. We did not have to wear bathing caps.
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM
Jed

A few years ago my wife had a massage at Gellerts which she described as 'awful'. She didn't mind the nude bathing.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM

You can spend a shorter time there. You are asked to pay the full amount on admission, and get a (modest) refund if you leave early.

Nobody bathed in the nude when I was there and most people did not wear caps. I did not ask for a massage.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:06 AM

I had a massage at Gellert Baths a couple years and it was awful, the lady giving me the massage was clearly uninterested and I felt like a (naked) slab of meat on a cold hard table in the middle of a crowded room. On the other hand the friend I was with had a great massage. Guess its luck of the draw. A couple of hours in the baths is probably more than enough. I think we stayed for maybe a half hour. The outside pool was closed when we were there but the coed inside one was nice. Can't remember if the men were wearing shower caps.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM

I was there 10 years ago, so I can't comment on the price. At that time, they gave you a little cloth that had a strip to tie around your waste. The flimsy cloth covered you in "front." There was no one wearing caps.

I had what they called a massage, which was a big gruff man with an industrial bar of soap rubbing me down with it. Then got hosed off. I felt like I'd been through a car wash. If there was a more traditional massage, I didn't know about it. I did also have a foot massage, and that was heavenly.

Prices were so unbelievably low then that I wouldn't have quibbled over a refund. Not knowing the value of a ft anymore, perhaps the cost has gone up.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:11 AM

The Gellert Bath used to be pretty. Now it's old and worse than that the water, IMO, was cold.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM

you wear a cap when you swim - I didn't wear one when soaking in the hot pools. I was given a small apron like cloth to wear but your back side is completely exposed. There are separate soaking pools for men and women, thus you can go semi-nude. They don't like people walking around totally naked. Only tourists wear bathing suits - go local, go with the apron. As for the massage - they're pretty good if you tip the massage person in advance personally. Don't give your tip to the anyone else but the person who will do the massage. They use a soap for the massage - which can be a bit drying to the skin - bring lotion to apply at the end of your visit. Yes the massages are done in the nude - but anyone else getting a massage is nude (except the massage therapist) so it's no big deal. Be sure to take a cold plunge afetr soaking. The Gellert Baths are beautfiul but I liked the Rudas baths better because of the setting and more varied water temps. The outdoor pool at the Gellert is quite pleasent in the summer.
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM

I am not totally certain of this but I think at the Gellert, there are two different areas for massage. There are the massages that occur in the baths, which people have been describing with mixed (mostly less than favorable) terms and another section where you can go just for a Thai massage. I think this is on the second level but not sure but probably worth checking out if you want massage.
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM

My DH and I went to Gellert last year. We eadh went to changing rooms and met in the middle pools (like you see in the pictures). we enjoyed it but liked Széchenyi Baths better. Gellert was a little more toursity feeling than Széchenyi. Try both if you can. we didn't wear caps nor remember seeing others in them.
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Cana anyone tell what time of the morning the baths open at the Gellert. I would really like to try them out but my husband is totally disinterested. Therefore, I thought I could go fairly early one morning whilst he goes mad taking photos. He is a keen amateur photographer and drives me mad sometimes, spending 15-20 mins setting up for each picture.
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Info. Gellert Baths seem to get poor reviews compared to the Szechenyi but all the pictures I see of the Gellert show the fantastic indoor pools while the Szechenyi pictures always show just the outdoor pools leading me to believe the indoor pools arn't much to look at.
We will be there in late May so the outdoor pools will probably be too cold to enjoy.
Which of these two baths do you think will provide the best visual experience as well as allowing us to soak in some hot water for a while?
Feb 16th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Feb 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM

We stayed at the Gellert in October 2000, and use of the baths was included in the room rate.

We went several times, and enjoyed the outside pools.

We were five couples, and, believe me, none of us went nude, but some of the men did report on the little "aprons" when they went to thee men's pool inside.

I think they were given little shower cap-type headgear, too.

The Gellert pools at that time were peautiful, and staying there was one of the highlights of our trip.

We loved Budapest.

Byrd

Feb 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM

I went to the Thai massage which is, indeed, upstairs. You have a towel for modesty if you want it, no one cares. You are in small areas which are curtained off from each other. My massage was very nice, very soothing, nice music, some nice tea and a lively little woman who was very good. Although just when I would get very relaxed she would whisper in my ear, is there anything else you would like?
I am not sure what she meant, but over all it was a pleasant experience.

I think this area is a little more expensive but still reasonable. The bath area was included in our room price.