Gatwick to Marylebone

Aug 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Gatwick to Marylebone

I need to go from Gatwick to Marylebone. Is there a train that I can take between the two. I know the Tube goes by Marylebone, but from Gatwick, is there a train to get to central London
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM

The Gatwick Express will get you to Victoria Station, from where you'll need to take the Tube. Looking at the map, and depending on exactly where your destination is in relation to Maryelebone tube stop, you'll have to change lines on the Tube. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf There is a possibility that a bus would be a more straightforward route, so you should try the journey planner on the website.
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Is there a website that shows bus schedules and times?
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Buses from Gatwick take longer and the terminal is an inconvenient distance from onward travel. I don't think there's any through bus that goes through central London from Gatwick.

The Gatwick Express goes to Victoria, from where you would take either a 2 or 82 bus, or the tube, changing at Oxford Circus, not my favourite interchange (steps and crowds).

The simplest route is probably train to London Bridge, and then take the tube: Jubilee Line to Baker St and walk 10 yards or so (on the level) to the Bakerloo Line to Marylebone. Or it may be that your destination is closer to Baker St station anyway.
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:27 AM
P_M

Southern Trains also goes into London and it costs £5 less than the Gatwick Express. I assume Southern Trains is the route to London Bridge being suggested by Patrick London?

If you still choose to go through Victoria Station, the same applies. Southern Trains will still be £5 less than the GEX.
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that by "Is there a website that shows bus schedules and times?, fodderdodder was refering to Kate_W's "There is a possibility that a bus would be a more straightforward route . . ." about a bus from Victoria to Marylebone -- not about a National Express bus all the way in from LGW.

fodderdodder: The TFL website gives journey planning for the tube an buses. so you plug in your starting point / destination and it does the work for you.

But tell us where you are actually going. Marylebone is a good sized neighborhood and Baker St or Regent's Park or possibly even Bond Street tube stations might be closer to your destination than Marylebone.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Bond street is the area I need to go
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM

That's not difficult: Gatwick Express to Victoria Station; Victoria Station to Westminister Tube stop, change to Jubilee Line and head up a few stops to Bond Street.
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Kate_W,
Is it a long distance at the change to the Jubilee line, as I will have my luggage and laptop with me
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Kate's route is fine without luggage, but at Victoria you would have some steps and a rather confusing tube station concourse to deal with. That's why I suggested taking the train to London Bridge rather than Victoria and changing to the Jubilee Line there - it's all escalators down. At Bond St you would have some steps up from the station to street level, whichever route you take to get there.

You could take a no. 8 bus from Victoria to Bond St (or the 73 along Oxford St to Bond St station), but again, with a lot of luggage it might be a bit inconvenient, especially if you arrive at rush hour.

Don't forget to ask for the Travelcard add-on when you buy your tickets at Gatwick - that will cover the onward travel within London.