Gatwick plane-to-train connection time

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick plane-to-train connection time

I'm a US citizen visiting the UK/Ireland area for about a month. Part of my journey has me flying back to London Gatwick from Cork, Ireland by way of Aer Lingus. I will arrive at the south terminal at 2:15 and need to catch a train out on First Great Western (which is also in the south terminal) at 3:25. I will have 1 checked bag and will have to collect it after my flight.

Is this hour window long enough to go through any customs there may be, collect my bag and catch that train? The only other one going my way is 3hours later and I'll already have quite a ways a head of me so if it's possible I'd really love to know if this would work!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM

There's no routine Immigration control on flights from Ireland to the UK, though the local police occasionally impose identity checks if the Irish terrorists are up to their now thankfully rare old tricks. There's never any Customs check on flights within the EU.

If your flight's on time, you shouldn't have a problem.

Are you sure, BTW, the 1525 is FGW? I see it as a Southern train to Victoria, connecting by tube to Paddington which is where your train to the West really leaves from. The National Rail journey planner estimates an absurdly long time for the tube connection (because it's probably sending you on the wrong tube) - but doesn't point out the difficulties around 1630 of buying a tube ticket at Victoria. There are trains doing this every 5-10 minutes.

In your shoes, I'd sweat more over what exactly you're being told you have to do, and where you're getting the ticket from, to get from Gatwick to your final destination.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you are right that one has 2 changes and then on to FGW. Thank you so much for pointing that change over out to me. I've been so busy worrying about the time I didn't even notice that strangely ambiguous route.

Would it be better to go with the 3:03 FGW to Reading and then Castle Cary or am I pushing my luck too much with that earlier departure?

I'm using thetrainline.com
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:35 PM

What day of the week are you travelling?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Saturday
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:16 AM

1503's getting tight.

You're scheduled to touch down at 1415. Even if it's on time, there's still a lot that can wrong (like the bus taking its time) between wheels down and being on the platform, ticket in hand. Especially if you're unfamiliar with the airport.

I assume you're concerned because you're buying an unchangeable ticket. Worth the delay to be on the safe side, I'd say
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:54 AM

I'd agree with Flanner. Sometimes the luggage takes a while to make it to the baggage reclaim, sometimes your gate is far from the passport area (you dont need to go through passport control from Ireland, but need to show your boarding pass to get tot he baggage reclaim area so keep that handy!). I would buy a later ticket because there are too many variables for such a tight connection.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Slight aside - but flying Cork to Bristol with Aer Lingus would have been a better option
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

^ which is true. Unfortunately, this flight was booked before I decided my plans for the end of the trip (by my friend who will be traveling with my up until this point). When I found out we'd be parting ways after this flight I decided I'd like to check out the glastonbury/bath areas for the last few days I'm around these parts.