Notices

Gatwick Express Question

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick Express Question

Flying into Gatwick in 2 weeks. Staying in central London (near Marble Arch).

Should I purchase my Gatwick Express tickets in advance (via internet) or is it better to just wait and purchase on the train after arriving?

Is there any advantage to buying beforehand?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Just buy them on board...you can use your credit card or cash. They are the same price regardless an a person will come to your seat.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Unless you are travelling from Gatwick before 9:30am on a weekday just get the far cheaper Southern Trains service from Gatwick - it can be cheaper if booked in advance and you can collect at the station

See eastcoast.co.uk and book 6-12 weeks in advance for best prices
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Southern Trains vs Gatwick Express trains however means a world of difference in comfort - Gatwick trains are made for lots of luggage, etc.

Southern trains may arrive at Gatwick stuffed full IME because they are far cheaper.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I'm a tighwad on a tight budget - i would buy the Southern train ticket and be prepared to squish myself and my bags in the tinier seats, etc.

Or take the old Thameslink trains (renamed now to Capital Connect perhaps but not sure) but they link Gatwick to London Bridge, where you can change to the Jubilee Tube line to the Bond Street tube stop - really close to Marble Arch.

but the real point is Gatwick Express is not the only option but if going to Victoria then it is the most leisurely option for baggage-laden folk.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM

First Capital Connect trains travel from Gatwick airport to various central London stations and are about half the cost of the Gatwick Express. The journey time is usually about 10 mins extra. Check the FCC website for details, you can buy tickets at the machines or queue up to buy from a person, at the airport. Gatwick Express trains are fancier but we'd rather save the money.

Kay
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM

When you go on the FCC website, make sure you go to the "commuter train" section to get the timetable. They run every 15 minutes from Gatwick to St Pancras, the ride takes about 45 minutes IIRC.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM

FCC make other stops as well before St Pancras, I think London Bridge is one station. It normally stops at Blackfriars but the station is closed for over a year. It's a good idea to check the section on their website where it has engineering works/maintenance works, it will show any changes to the service on your dates of travel.

Kay
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I think the only stop on FCC trains from Gatwick with Tube links are London Bridge and St Pancras.

If you a really a cheap skate buy a ticket to East Croydon from the airport and also buy an Oyster Card- get off at E Croydon and pass your Oyster Card thru the reader and board the next train - when you transfer to the Tube you'd pay only 1.5 pounds for the tube ride not about 4 pounds and you'd pay less from E Croydon to London Bridge - an the E Croydon to London right would count towards any TravelCard capping off.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM

If more than 4 people with luggage, I'd opt for a private shuttle, door to door!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM

It's much better to get the train from Gatwick. Unless you are travelling on a Sunday then a car service will be slow and will easily take at least twice as long to get to central London
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. Our plans are to take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria and then a black cab from there to our hotel near Marble Arch.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 05:08 AM

That's what I usually do too. But for this trip I found a shuttle to be much cheaper than the EX fare plus a taxi