WMR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick Express "To Be Axed"

Here's a link to the BBC website story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...es/4676388.stm

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:21 AM

We purchased tickets on line for this service to be used in March. I looked at their website and cannot find any news. Do you know when they plan to stop service?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM

Certainly not in the next month. Probably not for about a year Possibly even longer: the operating company has a franchise till (I think) 2009, and compensation will need to be agreed.

Since the Gatwick Express is generally regarded as the most profitable rail franchise in the country, that negotiation is likely to be tough.

Do remember though, that the decision means there will be only 14-18 "fast" trains an hour from Gatwick to Central London
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

Thanks, flanneruk. How will I know if I'm boarding a "fast" train?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM

I'm not sure if there are any "slow" trains from Gatwick to London, but railway stations have indicators to tell passengers where trains go.
I cannot understand why people get so obsessed with the Gatwick Express when there are lots of other fast trains from Gatwick to London: many others are more convenient; even if you must go to Victoria, the Southern trains run every 15 minutes and the journey averages five minutes longer than the Gatwick Express.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

Geoff, I think <b>one</b> reason people may be &quot;obsessed&quot; with the GEX is the fact that it has been marketed as &quot;the&quot; convenient way to get into the city by rail.

If it really <b>is</b> the most profitable rail francise in the country then one wonders why the other companies don't start a competing marketing campaign.

If am reluctant to use all those alternatives which claim to be &quot;almost&quot; as fast and &quot;just&quot; as convenient beacuse of one issue: luggage storage.

I keep hearing from folks here that there is no problem storing luggage on other trains but I wonder what it will be like to leave Gatwick about 9:00AM on a weekday, with luggage, on trains that have started out elsewhere and may be filled with commuters.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM

On second thought, maybe the fact that the service is to be eliminated <b>is</b> a result of the competitors after all.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM

Hi there. The way I read the article is that the service will remain --i.e. will still take you from Gatwick to London -- but instead of being an express, will stop at more stations to pick up people. Seems to me that this would be like the train service from CDG to Paris Centrale on the RER -- still goes, but stops alot. I personally wouldn't worry too much.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Here is another story on the subject:
http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/st...701829,00.html

I think that the real issue is that air travelers will sometimes be trying to board already full trains not that the journey time will be five minutes longer. From the Guardian story the earliest date is June of 2007.