Gatwick Express etc

Search

Gatwick Express etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick Express etc

This probably sounds a little anal and antsy but I have only been abroad once and my husband never....we will be arriving mid morning at Gatwick and taking the express to Victoria Station..we are staying at the County Hall Marriot and husband really wants to take a taxi from Victoria to the hotel...I have been trying to figure out where the taxi platform is in relation to the Gatwick Express platform..as a student I just remember bringing an inappropriate suitcase and having to lug it up many steps in Victoria Station...this time I want to be prepared! <BR><BR>Another silly question..when the airlines (we are flying US Airways) say &quot;not more than 36&quot; for your personal item do they mean the sum of all sides? When they say 62&quot; for carry on is this just the sum of the length width and depth or the sum of all sides....What is the norm for figuring luggage size...we just want to make sure we can carry everything on...<BR><BR>I am just a tad apprehensive about being in Europe with all the war talk going on (I just read a thread on the Rick Steves site about how Europeans hate Bush and how anti-American any and all political conversations will be) Nonetheless, we have saved and waited a long time for this trip and I know if we wait until everyone in the world loves Americans then we will never go...Thanks for any London advice!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:17 AM

hmathis: Don't worry at all about finding teh taxi rank. It is right in front of Victoria. Now it IS a large station - but when you get to the main concourse there are all kinds of overhead directional and info signs. You really can't miss them.<BR><BR>As for the luggage sizes - the sizes are the sum of the length, width and depth -- for instance a 21 inch rollaboard is usually counted as 42 inches (21 + 9 + 12)<BR><BR>You will LOVE the County Hall Marriott. Especially of your room is over the river - the view of Big Ben!!!<BR><BR>And do not worry about anti-American sentiment. Individual Americans are just fine (as long as you are polite and don't make silly a**es of yourselves). More Americans get into trouble for being loud mouths than for any political feelings.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis...just getting very excited and needed a little validation....I hope we get one of those great rooms at County Hall too! I can't believe we got a room there for $100....God bless priceline.com
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I think USAirways has slightly bigger carry-on allowances than some others airlines (which are usually 45&quot;, I think), but the 62&quot; is the limit for checked baggage, not carryon. These are their carryon limits:<BR><BR>Overhead Stowage--10x16x24 <BR>Underseat Stowage--8x16x21 <BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM

I was in London during the big anti-war march, and only ran into one or two people that were outwardly anti-American. Mostly, people seemed to be anti-Bush rather than anti-American. There's a difference. Now, if you are a die-hard Bush supporter, and can't go a day without wearing your &quot;I love GWB&quot; pin, you are probably setting yourself up for heated debate. But I think you'll be ok. People are not nearly as hysterical about Iraq or war in London as they are in the US. It was interesting to see the difference. <BR><BR>Just remember, you are a guest in their country, much like you would be a guest in some one's house. Avoid talking politics if it worries you. It's not like people are going to run up to you and say &quot;You're an American! We hate you, and here's why...&quot;. <BR><BR>By the way, London was only my second trip abroad. Have fun!