Search

gatwick express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatwick express

There will be 6 of us arriving at Gatwick on the 16th. We thought of getting a transfer service with a large enough vehicle to transport us into town (Kensington area), so that we would be taken right to the hotel, BUT, we've been advised that it would be a 3 hour trip on a weekday morning. Does that sound right?

If so, we'll take the Gatwick express. Is it cheaper in any way to buy our tix before hand? Or, do we just buy them there at the airport once we deplane??

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM

I don't think there is any advantage in buying them beforehand. There is a "4 for 2" deal that you'll find at the Gatwick Express website:

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/

You'll see the sales booth as soon as you come out out of the passport control area.

It's too bad your group isn't divisible by four, but I suppose you could make two friends?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

You can buy your tickets ON the Gatwick AFTER boarding the train.(or least you could 2 yrs ago) It only takes 30 min or so, but IS a little hassle after arriving. ie; lugging bags into Victoria station, piling into a cab to the hotel.
We used ...........??? wonderful driver of a transfer service and on a weekday morning didn't take us near 3 hrs.(and didn't cost "that" much) From outside the airport RIGHT to the front door of our hotel , which was up by Hyde Park (north), further than Kensington. I'll look up the name, but others might have it, or perhap you do. I think they have a car for large 5 people and luggage, and I'm sure could arrange for 6!
But the Gatwick Express IS fun!..and always interesting to arrive into London at Victoria Station.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM

oops....meant to say "I think they have a LARGE car for 5 people"

(NOT, "a car for Large 5 people) sorry!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

I think the biggest "problem" would be the fact that even if the car you hire is huge it will still have to negotiate the traffic/roads between Gatwick and London.

There is no reason the transfer from the train to a taxi at Victoria has to be a "hassle" especially if you are organized, have rolling luggage, etc. You'll probably be doing almost as much hassling getting to the bag claim at Gatwick, retrieving the bags, getting through Customs, etc., in terms of walking distances, etc.

IMO you should ditch the car idea and spend the money on a taxi once you get into the city itself.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I agree - ditch the car idea.

People are so funny about airport transfers. They wouldn't think twice about getting off a plane and boarding a train at CDG or LGW to travel to a provincial capital, then get a cab to their hotel...

But if the destination is Paris or London, suddenly a taxi or car service all the way from the airport to town seems to be the minimum accommodation many will accept.

Southern Trains has a DaySave fare (valid for off-peak travel) at £20 for 4 adults, and £1 for under 16s. The trains serve Victoria and London Bridge stations.

http://go-ahead-ecommerce.com/sndays...cketDetails.do
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:54 AM

The transfer company I mentioned above (but could not remember at the time)is : www.london-transfers.com
Ray Skinner....
Nice, reliable, convenient, door to door, good price,
Very good reviews from other people also.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM

There is a train from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia, leaving at 0946, and arriving at 1037. Otherwise, there are a dozen trains an hour from Gatwick to London. The Gatwick Express is the most expensive, and saves an average of five minutes.