Gatwick airport

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick airport

Does anyone know how much it will cost to get from Gatwick to Kensignton - Earls Court? I'm thinking of taking the Gatwick Express but I'm not sure if that's the best way.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Southern Trains runs the same route - Gatwick to Victoria - for £9 (four adults for £20, kids £1).

A single Tube ticket from Victoria to either Kensington or Earls Court is £3 - but if you're going to be in London for a while, you should look into getting an Oyster Card and load a 3- or 7-day travelcard on it. Then the Tube fare is basically free. Even if you don't get a travelcard, using Oyster reduces your pay-as-you-go fares substantially.

Here's some lore:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...06/index.shtml
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM

The Gatwick Express costs 14 GBP. Take a Southern train from Gatwick to Victoria Station (9 GBP). Then, in order of price, take either a bus, the tube, or a taxi to Kensington-Earl's Court.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM

You could also take a Southern train from Gatwick to the Kensington Olympia station, then tube or taxi to Earls Court.

www.thetrainline.com

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Kay:

I've never, ever, seen a taxi at Kensington Olympia station. In the daytime, if there's a trade show in the adjacent halls, cabs sometimes drop 50 yards away from the station entrance. But most of the time - even during trade shows - to get a taxi you need to walk 150 yards to the main road and hail one passing.

Not something I'd like to do with luggage in the rain.

And tubes from Kensington Olympia run very infrequently.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:49 AM

From what I have read here the "best" way to get from Gatwick into London is by rail. I am repeatedly told the roadway from Gatwick into London is a heavily-traveled one so even a private transfer could take considerable time.

One way to look at all of this is as follows:

You have arrived at long last. You may be quite tired. This is not the time to try to save billions...take the train to Victoria and then take a taxi to your final destination. I understand, someone please correct me if I am wrong, that there are STAIRS to negotiate at Victoria tube stop...do you want to do that? Do you want to hassle luggage on the tube or on a bus (depending on how much luggage you have)?

I love traveling by public transport, the Tube, by rail, etc., BUT save money elsewhere and treat yourself to an arrival that suits you...civilization offers many benefits..you deserve this one.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Ditto Intrepid1
Train to Victoria & Taxi to hotel.

The taxi is relaxing and they drop you in front of your hotel. No trying to find your way out of the tube station with luggage and jet lag. If there are a few of you, then the taxi probably won't cost much more than the tube.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Make up your own mind.

Don't let anyone else impose their views on you based on how they handle jet lag, baggage, or budget.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
P_M

Intrepid1, you are indeed correct about the stairs at the Victoria tube. I leanred this the hard way.