Amazing Race 9 Week 2

Search

Amazing Race 9 Week 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing Race 9 Week 2

Some folks like a diferent thread each week, so here goes...

I've rappelled off buildings, but nothing near that high. That height would have intimidated me.

I feel like folks have been wrong about the dentist (Lake). He is just a big kid. His wife is in control.

I had to laugh when the DJs were pushing the VW because they couldn't find reverse. I had the same problem with the old VW that I rented in Cozumel last month.

I can't feel too bad about the Frosties losing - they just couldn't compete. It was nice that they stayed so supportive of each other. The local resident that greeted them, looked so sad for them.

Moscow looks great next week!

Keith
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Either people are not watching the race or are posting somewhere else.

I'm amazed at how many teams have not practiced driving a manual car. I did love the hippies pushing the car instead of backing it up.

Love/hate it when all the teams get bunched up waiting for something to open. Interesting how the first and last teams seem to fall out even with things evened up.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Climbing those stairs and then rappelling down must have ruined the legs for climbing the waterfall.

Fran and Barry made another really poor detour choice. I think they'll be gone next week. Fran did amazingly well with all that very physical stuff, but too slow to be in the race much longer.

Lake is still annoying, we just didn't see very much of him. The little we did see was enough.

I thought Eric and Jeremy were OK last week but after last night I don't like them much. I don't think they'll be out any time soon, though, because they're good racers.

I didn't notice anyone other than the frosties having trouble driving the stick shift. Finding reverse is a whole different problem. How many people have posted here (in additon to Keith!) about not being able to find reverse on a rented car in Europe?

I agree with everyone who thinks that CBS has made a huge mistake moving this show to 10pm. Hopefully, "The Unit" (not very good, IMO) will go away soon and they'll move TAR back to 9pm. It may be that the reason so few people have posted is that they taped the show and will watch tonight.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Hi. There is another thread http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34762395 I thought this episode was quite dull too. I wanted to see more of the nerdies, and where was the African American couple. They either wanted to focus on only a few people, or they didn't get footage because the roadblocks were a bit lame mixed with long bus rides, long car rides, hikes down trails. Next week BETTER be better.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

The 9PM (Central Time) start last night works much better than 8PM for me.

Keith
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM

TamaraEden, this is the thread for this week's episode.

I didn't think either the roadblock or the detour was lame. In fact, I thought they were pretty good, with a decent choice at the detour (if you were smart enough to know your limitations).
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Because of my knees, I could not have done the fire escape climb or the assent up the waterfall. I was impressed with these tasks. I do love the nerds and they actually made me laugh when the were calling to Phil as they approached the mat. They and the nerds, and the African-American couple , oh and the mother-daughter team, are my favs.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM

I just HATE that TAR is coming on at 10:00!! I have to get up way to early to stay up and watch and I find that when I tape shows, I never have the time to watch them, so I'm having to read the recaps on CBS and the threads here to see what's going on and I'M BUMMED!!!!! After suffering through the "Family" edition I was all hyped for this season only to find out they'd changed the time. I also watched The Unit and was bored so maybe it will be cancelled and they'll move TAR back to 9:00.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM

The hippies pushing their car - precious - lol. I know how they feel.

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great site for recaps & chat about Amazing Race (and other shows) is http://televisionwithoutpity.com/
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM

TWoP is great. I'm there way too much!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'm glad it's at 10 pm myself. I teach Tues night and can still make it home in time to watch, without trying to tape it.

It wasn't a particularly memorable episode though. I missed the opener so I haven't gotten to know all the teams yet either.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Oh, but I got a kick out of the hippie boys saying "Back to our roots, man" when they got in the VW Beetle!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
JJ5

IMHO, most people are going to think this RACE 9 is boring because there doesn't seem to be as many low life manipulators. I may be wrong, and the FL boys may fall into that category. But people don't seem to be as intrigued by cooporation. I'm still cheerleading for Yolanda and Ray.

Fran & Barry will probably be gone in the next few eliminations. It's on at 9PM for me but it's going to make a big difference in viewing scores being moved
to the later time. 8 Central was better.

I liked the "roots" remark too! I actually just missed giving birth in a 1968 VW bug when it was only about 4 months old - second baby in 14 months and I was waiting for it to get "bad" as the first one did. I can't look at a beetle without thinking of my daughter.

I sat in the backseat of one once from Chicago to SIU and back (7 hours each way)once with 2 other people in front- and never got into the back seat again.

I wonder if you feel the bumps in them now, like you used to. It felt like there were no shocks on the car at all.

I have a feeling that the manual transmission VW's were probably a lot harder than they looked to operate, even now.

I've rappelled near Starved RK in IL and it's easy if you don't look down.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM

While I don't think Fran and Barry are going to make it much longer I felt so bad for them when the VW broke down! They climbed the freakin waterfall! I thought they wouldn't be able to do that in a million years.

I'm glad and not suprosed that the "Frosties" were the first ones out.

I suspect Eric and Jeremy will fade a bit once they have to start thinking for themselves and stop following the leader.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

"Back to our roots, man"

LOL! So do they think they are actually 2o years older, or are they channeling someone?

Keith
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I am loving this season ... I have felt so deprived after having to settle for that lame "Family Edition". I had to laugh at the hippies and their "back to our roots" remark. Having driven a bug in high school I could relate to their "issues". Did I dream it or did one of the teams have to do the old "running start, pop the clutch" trick? I had to do that regularly with my orange VW back in the 70's.
(Yes, I said "orange&quot
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I could not stand the family edition so I spent my evening watching all the past seasons on the Game Show Network. They run them in sucession, starting at the first season. It's been great fun to see them again except for the contestants that we all love to hate.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:39 PM
JJ5

ejkonz, my guy said the same thing. He said, "You can start it with a dead battery, and went on to describe how- similar to what you detail."

Keith, he would have to be more than 20 years older. How about nearly 40 years older. Time flies, doesn't it, Keith. LOL!

I didn't mind the family edition and wish they had two forms of this show running at any one time- not just the one or the other. Two different nights- there's so little good on network TV now anyway. I would also like a 55 plus race with better detours than just the physical, maybe with maps/word puzzles/muscial oldies Rock etc. as clues??? Or maybe an all 20 to 30 year old race for the amorally savvy with no diversions or misinformation/traps or general lying disallowed. The last would be Phil-less; winners getting met by the local Police or Tribe Chief.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
JJ5

And my '68 bug was dark royal blue and NEVER could warm me up in a Chicago winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -