We will be visiting Bavaria during the
last two weeks of May using public transportation. We have already booked
hotels in Bamberg, Nuremburg, and
Munich (final four days).

I now have to decide whether to spend 4 nights in Garmisch-Parten or two
nights there and two nights in Fussen.
We want to see Neu and Hohen Castles
and wonder if we can take a bus to
Fussen from G-P or even a commercial bus tour from G-P to see the castles. Has anyone had experience with doing either of these day trips?

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed in G-P and did the castles in a day - but we had a rental car. You can take a bus, but make sure you understand the routes and times.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Füssen will be cheaper and closer to the castles if that matters to you. I prefer Füssen to Garmisch because it's much less crowded and less of a ski resort town. Garmisch is a lot of fun, but I find it comparable to staying at a Disney property whereas Füssen is more "genuine". The restaurants in the latter aren't trying so hard to cater to American servicemen and tourists. Füssen's pedestrian zone is much cuter (or should I say "charming&quot than the spred-out Garmisch-Partenkirchen environs.

Personally, I'd spend two nights in Füssen and the other two nights just North of Garmisch in Oberammergau - a bit kitschy but again, a friendlier, more interesting little town. Honestly, you can't go wrong staying anywhere in that corner of Germany.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM

I too would choose Fussen over Garmisch. Garmisch was fine, but Fussen is much smaller and much more charming. We daytripped to Garmisch, but we had a car so I can't give information on public transportation.

Tracy
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I pretty much agree with what Otzi wrote. Fuessen is a charming old town and only 10 minutes way from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Only variance from Otzi's advice would be after 2 nights in Fuessen spend 2 nights just south (20 minutes or so) from Garmisch in Mittenwald. Not saying Oberammergau isn't nice, we just love Mittenwald. It's the postcard perfect Bavarian village with a mountain backdrop, plus the train station is just a 5 minute walk to the old town and pedestrian zone.

Paul

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM

It it were I, I would base myself in Oberammergau. It's kind of centrally located. Linderhof is only 20 minutes away, by bus. Hohenschwangau (Neuschwanstein) is about an hour away by bus. You can also get to Ga-P by train or bus and from there by train to Mittenwald.

I think that in general, rooms are a little more economical in Oberammergau. Try Gästehaus Richter (www.gaestehaus-richter.de). Room are about €30 per person and Frau Richter speaks good English. It's only a block's walk from the train/bus station, and a few minute's walk into town.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks Larry - you just gave me my home for three nights next December. It looks perfect.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies.

I think that we will go to Fussen for two nights and Oberammergau for two nights. The Gaesthaus Richter looks wonderful. If the weather is good, we will be able to go to the Zugspitz or Mittenvald as a day trip from Oberammergau.

Pat
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Do you drive? Driving around G-P even around the Black Forest region is soooo easy. Add to that a GPS and the car can possibly drive itself!! Strongly encourage you to think on driving. There are mountains towns in that region, i.e. Ettal that will take your trip to the next Wonderful level.