From Salzburg to ?

Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

From Salzburg to ?

We are beginning our 2 week trip in Munich (2 nights) then driving to Salzburg (2 nights). Before we go to Rothenburg we thought about spending 2 nights in Fussen. Now I am wondering if we should spend 1 of those nights in Innsbruck. Any other places we should consider instead of Innsbruck? Is Fussen worth 2 nights? We would prefer someplace where there are lots of shops and restaruants we can stroll through. Thanks..
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

You might think about one night in Fussen and one night somewhere in between, like Mittenwald. Mittenwald is a village as opposed to a city but know for its violin makers.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

known for its violin makers.... sorry.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM

Hi,
In my opinion, Fussen and Mittenwald (as mentioned above) are both much nicer than Innsbruck. I'd pick one and stay 2 nights though. Plenty to keep you occupied in either place for just 2 nights/1full day.
Fussen:
Fussen is a very charming old town.
Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau castles
Tegelbergbahn (cable car ride) and luge ride
Wies Kirche (amazing church @ 30 min. away)

Mittenwald:
Mittenwald is an absolutely gorgeous village.
Karwendelbahn (cable car)
Zugspitze (Garmisch, less than 30 min away)
A luge ride is located at the edge of town.
Ettal Monestary

Enroute to Rothenberg from either, a worthwhile stop (IMO) is Andechs Monestary. Great church and nice beer gardens in a postcard setting.

Paul

Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM

You'd be making a big mistake (IMO) if you bypass the beautiful Berchtesgaden area!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Well, let the weather be your guide. When we were in Salzburg last May, I tried to fit Berchtesgaden in. But it rained every day and on the day planned for B-gaden it POURED, I mean it came down in buckets, and the mountains were covered in thick clouds. I took the bus to B-gaden, tried to walk in the deluge, gave up and took the next train back to Salzburg. Will have to try again when Mother Nature is more cooperative.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

The towns mentioned are probably lovely for strolling and restaurants and beauty.
Having said that: Innsbruck IS indeed just a big city HOWEVER; the Old Town is Wonderful for strolling the walking streets, lots of restaurants, shops etc and it is fairly compact. Cars can be parked about a block away. There is a beautiful Best Western (and don't get excited about that being too modern). IT's right in Old Town, in a 400 yr. old building, where Mozart once stayed (and other famous people).
Kind of fun!, and comfortable room.
(the Althaus or something like that??)
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
ira

Hi tuc,

We are doing something similar.

We will drive from Salzburg to Fuessen via St Johan in Tirol and Innsbruck, arriving F in late afternoon.

We will stay for two nights at the Zum Hechtenm seeing the castles, etc on the 2nd day.

The Zum Hechten is offering 2-night specials, 1/2 board for 99E pp.

See http://www.hotel-hechten.com/

Apr 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We decided to go ahead and stay in Innsbruck. We are starting our 2 week vacation in Munich for 2 nights, then Salzburg for 2 nights. Then on to Innsbruck for 1 night followed by Fussen for 1 night. After Fussen we are headed to Rothenburg for 2 nights, then to the Rhine valley for 1 night, then dropping car off in Cologne and taking train to Brugge for 2 nights. Then finishing off the trip with 3 nights in Paris. We have only the hotel in Brugge and Paris to book. I'll be posting a new thread on hotel suggestions......