Please recommend a place to stay in Glasgow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving on a Wednesday in September from the US, and would like to spend the first couple of days in Glasgow. The first day will really be a jet-lag recovery day so I don't expect that we will be doing much sightseeing. I'd like to find somewhere that is somewhat non-stressfull to recover. For the second day, we'll probably check out St Mungos museum (and surrounding area) or the Kelvingrove Museum. I'm travelling with my husband and my elderly parents.

I'd really like to find something on the cheaper side (around $100 per night), but I can go a littler higher than that. I'd kind of like to stay out of international chain hotels, with preference for something smaller, with more local flaver and more personality.

I realize that 2 nights and one jet-lagged day won't be enough to do Glasgow right (there's never enough time and money). We haven't finalized any other plans yet for the rest of the two weeks in Scotland, but I don't think we can really budget much more time that that for Glasgow. Our current thoughts are putting us in the Outer Hebrides, and around the Ullapool area.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Not sure, but I'd like to see your responses and if you get responses on Glasgow in general. I stayed at the airport Holiday Inn once for convenience but that is definitely what you would want to avoid. Also interested in hearing about the rest of your trip. Good luck planning!
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Hi
We have stayed here several times and they are really good value - not sure about the personality side of things but they are spacious, you have a proper lounge area with sofa and TV etc. Plus if you are jetlagged and don't want to go far and find restaurants they have an oven, microwave and fridge so you could go and get some lovely food from Marks and Spencers and catch your breath before you start hitting the sites.
www.thespires.co.uk/gla_1_bed_suite.htm
The Kelvingrove Museum is superb, allow plenty of time. The cafe there is nice too for a light lunch.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Spires would be great - but while the £ has fallen, the Spires is still quite a bit above your budget.

Last summer $100 was only about £50 but now it would be approx £72. Who knows what it will run in Sept??

The cheapest rooms at the Spires are probably in the £100-£115 range ($135-$160-ish right now). If you can stretch your budget that much I'd also try the Spires.

(Accommodations in the major cities will run higher than out in the countryside so you can economize when you are traveling outside of Glasgow/Edinburgh)
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM

From my trip report:

<i>We stayed for four nights at the Old Schoolhouse Hotel (&pound;60 per night with breakfast) which is right next to the Glasgow School of Art, a major Mackintosh building.</i>
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Wow, The Spires has gone up! We paid &pound;68 and that was fairly recently, booking through our work company (Expotel).
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Actually, The Spires works out ok -- there are two couples and the 2BR suite is GBP 128 per night prepaid -- so definitely within range when split between the four of us.

If the Old Schoolhouse Hotel is now the Sandyford Hotel, thanks for the recommendation, but at the time they are not showing availability for two rooms for us.

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
GoAway: &quot;No availability&quot; doesn't always mean there is no availability. Some places don't book this far ahead so it may be that the hotel hasn't opened/updated their calendar for next Fall.

But definitely - since there are two couples sharing, the Spires would actually be a budget property.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately, the Old Schoolhouse Hotel is no longer in business.

Three months ago the owners were about to sell it to a charity for the homeless. The art school next door approached the sellers and it was they who eventually bought it. I understand it will be used solely for its own students.

The Sandyford Hotel is owned by the folks who had the Old Schoolhouse and they are now using the latter's internet address which is causing real confusion. The Sandyford is on Sauchiehall Street, the Old Schoolhouse was on Renfrew Street.

GoAway, perhaps have a look at Premier Inn. It is a national chain and they have a number of hotels in Glasgow. A double room at their Glasgow George Square hotel in September is &pound;72.

http://www.premierinn.com/

Bill
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Am I correct in assessing that the Spires is the main business district?

The other place that I've found so far is Amadeus Guest House. It is basically the same price (except for the inclusion of breakfast) as the Spires. Of the two, which would you consider better for sightseeing? It looks the the Amadeus is a little bit further out (maybe more residential?), but very near to an underground station.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Bothwell Street used to have a good number of banks and insurance companies but not so many now. Their magnificent buildings remain though but with new owners. I wouldn't consider it a business district. It's in a great location for city sight-seeing and access to the underground and main line stations too.

Oh, and as someone who knows and lives close to the Amadeus I thoroughly recommend you book The Spires. I am astonished that their rates are similar.

bill
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM

I should have thought- why don't you try the Bowster? I can't find a web site, but there are a lot of mentions on listings sites. Here's one.

http://www.list.co.uk/place/19508-babbity-bowster/

The ground floor is a fairly nice pub, the first floor is a restaurant, and the top floor- where I've never been has a few rooms. I'm told they are basic but clean, very central, well priced, and, having looked at tripadvisor too, might be worth a look

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Scotland.html
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM

I have stayed at Babbity Bowster's a couple of times, although admittedly a few years ago. The rooms were simple but pleasant and it's quite a convenient location. The food is quite good for pub food too, just don't eat the oysters which (twice) made me extremely ill, the second time the illest I've ever been. (And left me allergic to them.)

Our usual budget choice in Glasgow is the Premier Inn on George Street, which we also find convenient, but you say you don't want a chain hotel. It does sound as if what you want is a B&amp;B, but I'm afraid I don't know any.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM

I stayed at the Kelvingrove Hotel on my September 2007 trip for a couple nights. Not right in town, but not too far away. And the Kelvingrove Museum is just steps away.

Have a look at my tripadvisor review:
http://tinyurl.com/d23a8k

And my trip report (which I never finished [hangs head in shame] but all the Glasgow info is there):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35113580