Reload this Page >

Gardens behind the Spanish Steps?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:11 AM
vivaldi

I saw a passing reference on a website to the gardens behind the Spanish Steps. Is this true? Anybody been here? Worth a few minutes to rest or get some peace and quiet? What is the best approach or entry?

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only gardens I can think of behind the Spanish Steps are the Borghese and it certainly is one of the highlights of Rome.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:36 AM
vivaldi

jody, I thought the same, but the website made it seem like there was a small one immediately behind the church at the top of the steps.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:46 AM

I wonder if they meant the Pincio gardens which are near Triniti de Monte, walking toward the Pza de Popolo? They too are worth a visit..and are so close to the Borghese that I always forget that they are 2 seperate places really. They too are worth a visit if just for the views.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:49 AM

About 300 yards north of the church of Trinita di Monte at the top of the Spanish Steps is the Villa Medici. Its gardens are open to the public and are very lovely and serene with some nice views of Rome.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:10 AM
dln

I came across this website while foraging for other Rome info, but it's really worth a look. It's the site of a professional photographer named Giovanni Rinaldi (www.giovannirinaldi.it). He has gorgeous photos of the Villa Medici and its gardens. That's nearby the Spanish Steps.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM

I'm pretty sure you are referring to dal Pincio gardens. It was quite beautiful--a great place to take a 'passagiata' in the evening. One weirdo squatting naked near a bush on which his recently laundered (in a fountain) clothes were hanging out to dry. My teen daughters thought he was a rather interesting find.
Fabulous view over the top of Pzza. del Popolo and beyond to the Vatican.