Galway area, small village B&Bs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Ireland next week and thinking about using Galway as a base for 3 days to tour some of the west. I would prefer a small town atmosphere after being in the city atmosphere of Dublin for the first part of our trip. We need to be convenient by bus to Galway and the town most likely to fit our needs is Spiddal. Kinvara might also be good. I've read great things about Clifden to the north or Doolin to the south but these are not easily accessible without a car (which we won't have).

Can anyone recommend lodging in Spiddal or Kinvara?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM

It's isolated: only 2-or-3 buses a day in each direction thru there; but I have stayed at An Cheibh GuestHouse in Ross'a Veal. There's no town there. The GuestHouse is a two story yellow building on the curve west of Spiddal (direction of Carraroe or Costello). I believe the Bus is the 454 from Galway or coming back from Carraroe.

I augment my bus travel with 'hitching' and I had little difficulty hitching a ride to Connemara Isles golf course from there. The Guesthouse Pub has Irish C&W Music Thursdays and Irish 'Trad' Music Fridays.

I stayed there 2-nights: a Thursday and a Friday. I caught the bus there from Galway and the driver stopped in front; then I waved down the bus about 11:00 AM Saturday for my return to Galway.

Spiddal is a pretty busy fishing port: A crew of Spanish fishermen filled the pub Friday night and the owner told me it was like that every week. The lady who runs the GuestHouse is 'Brid.'

IMHO you should stay closer to Galway, Salthill, for example. Galway is very different from Dublin: not like a big city. Salthill is Galway's seaside resort; but it's close enough to walk to Claddagh Port or even to Eyre Square. There's also good city bus service.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM

On the other side from where Ned suggests is Oranmore which has very short bus service to Galway. If you mean the west in terms of Connemara and Mayo, Spiddal or Salthill might be better. If you are considering time in Co. Clare, Oranmore would work well. There are plenty of B&Bs there.

Another possibility though bus service wouldn't be very easy, is Cregg Castle in Tuam. It's and interesting place to stay and when the owners are there (they usually are but you would want to check), they do performances by the fireplace in the evenings.

Bill
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM

Spiddal would be a good choice...located on the bay with many B&Bs within walking distance of the village. The village has services i.e. food and a small market. As well, there is bus service to Galway and a reasonably priced taxi. I often stay at Tuar Beag B&B. They also have a small rental unit which might provide a change. I'm sure that Mrs. Feeney would have a vacancy during the low season in February.
tuarbeag.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It does seem that Spiddal has the best bus connections of the towns in this area. I have sent e-mail to Tuar Beag and will hope for the best. Their website doesn't specify if they are open this time of year. Any other suggestions would also be welcome!