Galicia reservations

Feb 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Galicia reservations

Hi,
My wife and I are planning to rent a car in Santiago at the end of Aug. and drive the coast roads through A Coruna. Is it foolish of us to think that we can do this without reservations or should we book ahead.
Also we would appreciate any hotel or town suggestions. We like quaint, non-touristy places.
Thanks

Feb 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Sounds like a nice trip. I did something similar once, on the northern coast of Spain in late August. We were a family of four (two young kids) and we always found something, though once, in town of Ribadesella, I think we got the only room left in the town -- a four star suite that (and this was 10 years ago) cost us well over $300, but it was a spectacular place. It is high season, and schools start up in Spain much later than in the US, so you will run into lots of tourists.

When you say the "coast roads through A Coruna" do you mean the province or the city? In other words, are you planning to go around Fisterre, Muros and the Rias altas? Or further north around A Coruna? As far south as Pontevedra or further? If you give me some idea of part of the country as well as time constraints, I will try to help with some suggestions.

For instance, there is a georgeous, inland, not too touristy river canyon area, called the Canones de Sil, with an incredible Parador called Santo Estevo. It's down near Ourense. Definitely qualifies as quaint and out of the way, and the hotel is built in a remote monastery with three different cloisters. It's something else.
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM

I am afraid I cannot help because I have not been there in august. HOWEVER, I can assure you that is an you will not be disappointed with the people, the scenery and the food. Whatever it takes, do it!!
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ireynold and Weber, for your replies. To clarify: I meant the province, not the city. We'd like to go as far South as Muros, and stop in a couple of towns north of there as we will be flying out of the La Coruna airport. We have only one week, and hope to get in some relaxing beach time. Any suggestions?
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Gallegos go to Malpica for a rest at the beach.
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM

I have always reserved from America and will do so aagin for a trip to Galica in July. There was a topic on one of the European boards and it was generally agereed that is cheaper to rent from America, rather than when in Europe.
Feb 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM

squidink writes: "... the province, not the city. We'd like to go as far South as Muros, and stop in a couple of towns north of there as we will be flying out of the La Coruna airport. We have only one week, and hope to get in some relaxing beach time. Any suggestions?"

I stayed at VilaGarcia de Arousa on the coast my most recent pilgrimage to Santiago (25 Jul 2005). It has a nice beach. It was peak season but I had made advance reservations there and in Santiago's Historic District.
Don't even think of finding suitable lodging anytime in August without advance reservation.
BTW
A friend enroute to Lugo told me when he returned that he wished he had flown into and out of Santiago airport rather than a'Coruña: more flights!
Feb 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM

squidink,
I wouldn't risk going without reservations at the end of August because families will still be on vacation. As Ireynold says, you may find *something* but it may be the most expensive suite in the house!

Take a look at the offerings on
www.turgalicia.com site. When you find something you like (quaint, non-touristy), check to see if it also appears on www.toprural.com and check the reviews. Top Rural has a great list of inexpensive lodgings of charm.
We use it all the time.
Feb 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM

A few places come to mind in the lush Pontedeume area:

Casa do Castelo de Andrade
Casa Grande Fontao
Casa Lourán

They're not on the beach, so they don't get booked so quickly in high season. Totally "non-touristy".
Feb 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Hi, squidink,

The route from Muros up to A Coruna is a pretty short distance for a week of traveling, but there are some very pretty spots from Santiago out to Fisterra and up north towards A Coruna. I've walked from Santiago to Fisterra, and I thought that Cee was a lovely place. Fisterra itself has some nice beaches, the very evocative lighthouse on the point, and some great seafood.

Years ago, I remember stopping at a place slightly outside of Cee (on the way to Fisterra) and walking on a sandy path to the water. There are georgeous sandy beaches with few or no people all along the road from Cee.

Some of the walkers from Santiago head to Muxia first and then south to Fisterra. I've heard (and seen pictures) that it's beautiful, though it is the place where the most damage was done from the oil spill a few years back.

If your plan is to lounge and enjoy the beach, a base in Cee or Fisterra would be perfect. If you are planning on travelling and touring more, you could easily start your circle up to A Coruna by heading further south from Santiago at the outset(say to Pontevedra, a lovely town, or even Baiona, right near the border with Portugal, which is more touristy but a very nice place) and then working your way back up. The distances are very small but it just depends on how much actual touring/driving you want to do.

Feb 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. To be on the safe side, we've decided to make reservations before we go.