FYI: good books for world-traveling kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A long while back, someone was asking for book recommendations for kids/teens who would be traveling to Europe. As a middle school reading teacher who also loves to travel, I've been on the watch for more of these. I found a series that I really like, aimed at teen girls, called SASS (Students Across the Seven Seas). They are written by various authors; a couple of the titles are "Pardon My French," about a girl in France, by Cathy Hapka, and another is "Getting the Boot," about Italy, by P.G. Strauss. Different from much of the popular fiction for this age-group, these books are clean, light-hearted, and have a positive message, about self-esteem, relationships, and other cultures. I even learned a few things I didn't know about the countries in which they take place, and teen girls definitely would. These books are enjoyable whether the reader is going to be traveling to the location or not. There are 4 or 5 of these out right now. I would've loved reading books like these as a teen, especially if I was going to get to go where the book was set! Hope someone can use this info.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks; I will look for those for my teens!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM

any suggestions for an 8 yr old boy?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

Although my nieces are not even close to being teenagers yet (5 and 2) I always send them books for gifts and bring them back something interesting from my travels in hopes to bring the world to life for them! And a bit of aunite spoiling them!

I'll keep these books in mind for when they get older and hopefully they will be able come with me on my travels as they get older...I love being an aunt!

And I had to reply to the this post seeing as my nieces names are Sara and Allison.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM

Thank you, sara.

My globe-trotting 13-year-old granddaughter will love these!

Byrd
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Not what the poster was asking for, but for pre-schoolers, A Spree in Paree has lovely pictures and a simple story. My 3 yr old granddaughter loves it.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM

Any suggestions for elementary/middle school boys?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM

Boys might be interested in "The Journal of Scott Pendelton Collins: A WWII Soldier, Normandy, France", which deals with the experiences of a 17 year-old fighting in WWII (Scholastic Publishing, ISBN 0439050138). For a lighter read, try "Night of the New Magicians", in which Merlin sends a boy and a girl back in time to the World's Fair in Paris in 1889. (Random House, ISBN 0375830359). Another one a boy might like is "The King in the Window", about a 10 year-old American whose father is a journalist in Paris (Miramax ISBN 078681862X).

For Italy, "Pompeii: Lost & Found" is beautifully illustrated, and gives a representation of what daily life was like in the city buried by Vesuvious (Random House, ISBN 0375828893). "Stones in Winter" is a story of a Venetian 10 year-old boy who is in error taken captive by the Nazis, and takes place in Venice, Germany, and the Ukraine (Penguin, ISBN 0141306009). "The Thief Lord" has a 12 year-old protagonist, and he and his 5 year-old brother leave their mean aunt (almost a la 'Lemony Snicket')in Venice to seek out an 'Artful Dodger' kind of character, whose nickname serves as the title of the book (Scholastic ISBN 043942089X). In "The Mystery On Observatory Hill" a brother and sister spending the summer in Germany try to find the clues to solve a mystery left by a German professor who perished in an influenza epidemic, with the assistance of a new German pal, Peter (Publishers Group West, ISBN 1578602351).

A book coming out in July may appeal to middle-school boys, and deals with Germany (home of the subject of this "biography&quot, Greece, Turkey and archeology. It's "The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug Up Troy" about Heinrich Schliemann (Random House ISBN 0763622834).

I think all of these would be good reads for middle-schoolers, and most of them deal with male characters. Hey, they don't call me The Bookchick for nothin', baby!

BC
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM

For the younger elementary kids try the Magic Treehouse series. The kids travel to different times and destinations via a magic treehouse. My son enjoyed the books on Venice and Paris and many others. There are probably 30 book in the series.

Travelatte
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM

For slightly older elementary kid - there is the Time Warp Trio series. Similar idea to the Magic Treehouse series - but with 3 boys and geared to then next reading level up.