Audiobooks for kids to keep busy on plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, help with coule of titles af audiobooks for 9y/old girl who likes teenagers story about friendship and boys.

Also if any about Paris.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

overlooked...
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
mjs

I belong to BOT and listen often to books on tape and you might go to their web site (www.booksontape.com) to see what is available for children. I do not think there is much for children. I would however recommend the Harry Potter series. Adults and children alike will likely enjoy them very much.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM

Hi Ziana,

Any Harry Potter books (on tape) would be about boys (and girls) and friendship. You might try an Amazon search for books on tape about boys/teenagers/paris. (If your daughter likes animal stories, I highly recommend the James Herriot stories.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
ira

Hi Ziana,

I know that I am an old fuddy duddy, but why not real books?

Has she read your fodors guide to Paris, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, A Tale of Two Cities, Les Miserables?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM

I'm with Ira on this one...why audiobooks ... why not real books? Paperbacks aren't that much hassle to carry, and you don't have to worry about batteries running out. I don't know that a 9 yo girl would particularly want to read something like Les Mis, but there are bound to be books based in Paris that are suitable and entertaining. Why not have her search for some as part of the trip planning?

My nieces are currently reading a series of books by Janet Lambert that I enjoyed as a child and that my Mom read as a child (they were written in the 50s & early 60s). Very sweet stories about a couple of families of teenagers growing up on Army posts starting in pre-WWII. Certainly nothing objectionable for a 9 yo to read!

Anne
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:30 PM

I sent my neice when she was 9 an audiotape of Island of the Blue Dolphins which she loved. I'd look for something by Beverly Cleary. I recently sent my 9 year old nephew Island of the Aunts and Which Witch. These both have more magical qualities but he begged to bring them to the ski lifts with him! My 11 year old neice just finished "Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry and reports it is her favorite book.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Guys, thanks, but I am specifically asking for the audiobooks because I want her to relax on this vacation. She is straight A student, she is involved in everything in school and some community activities, so she deserves some time OFF. Really totally vacation.
Plus she is a huge worryier, she will be nervous about flying and stuff, so I need something she never had to just snap her out of worries and get curious.
(I already bought Drammamil, as was recommended here before.)

I remember but can't find here someone said there are books about Paris. I would like her to listen to this.
Or something very intertaining about teenagers or funny stories ...(not about war)

I think we don't have to be serious and educational ALL the time. Let's have time for pure fun. Kids sometimes need to unwind too.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:45 AM

Try looking on Amazon.com. Read a little about the books then you can order them or go to your local bookstore. My son 11yrs loves all the Louis Sachar (Holes) books and my daughter (13) liked All American Girl (Meg Cabot) another book is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares) but that might be too old. Have Fun
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:06 AM

My daughter suggested The Diary of Melanie Martin by Carol Weston. It's a light-hearted story about young girl on a vaction to Italy (sorry) with her family. I don't know if it's available on tape, though.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, right All American Girl (Meg Cabot) that is !

She loves it too. I didn't know if it was available audio. And I am not sure if she read 'em all. Will look.

Does your daughter loves Babysitter's club series ? THANKS
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for The Diary of Melanie Martin by Carol Weston, mberry.
Will look for it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM

Ziana,

My daughter DID like babysitters club books (I think we have about 50!), but she's 14 now and is moving on to more "adult" authors/themes, etc. One exception (or is it?) would be Harry Potter - she's an avid fan of J.K. Rowling and her DREAM is to buy the latest (I've forgotten when it's due to be published) when we're in London. I'm trying to reconcile that wish with my attempt to pack LIGHT!

We were on a west coast trip when one book was published. I'd preordered it to arrive in LA. She read it all the way from LA to San Francisco (and missed all the scenery)! Oh, well - she was happy - and you're right: it's her vacation, too.

Good luck with your trip and let me know if you have suggestions about dealing with flight anxiety (for me and for her).
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:16 AM

http://audible.com/adbl/store/welcome.jsp

Ziana: I suggest you have a look at this site - audible.com. It has a good selection for kids. For $20 per month, you can download two books from any category in various formats (CD, iPod, Plam etc.).

regards ...Ger
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, checking

mberry, I will tell alll I know, thanks
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:24 AM

Does your audio player have a headset? That will help with blocking out engine noise on the plane.

Anne O: I'm glad to find another Janet Lambert fan. I've been gradually filling in my collection in the last few years, and boy, are used copies expensive! Some go for upwards of $700. So hang on to yours.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM

Underhill..I found a complete set of reprints for about $300 a couple of years ago...my nieces love them (even though they are soooooo old-fashioned!). I'm protecting them like gold!

Anne
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM

At 9 I was more into horses and after the first one, I devoured all the Black Stallion books...still have them all 22 years later, most are autographed as Mr. Farley lived in my small hometown which I didn't know for a long time...he would wander into the local book store and sign the books and put them back on the shelf...sometimes you were lucky and got one....great books !
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:04 AM

Try chinaberry.com. It's a wonderful children's book catalog. They have some great books on tape. Careful, you'll want to buy everything!
Try your local library. They usually have a great selection.
Remember that most long haul flights have movies on the seat backs. You'll need to negotiate with her on those movies!
I've used audiobooks to fly since my youngest was about 2-3 years old. My favorite was when he was listening to a sing along with Peter Pan and started in on "yo ho ho and pirate's life for me" at the top of his lungs not knowing how loud he was because of the headphones. ( A very belated sorry to those on the Chicago-Boston route who didn't share in the humour).
Has your duaghter used the dramammine before? While calming to some it also can cause anxiety in other kids. Not a gamble I've ever wanted to take!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

What if she never did ?
I was told it'll just let her sleep for 8 hours.
Are there anything else to calm down a child?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -