Reload this Page >

Looking for recommendations for audio books-on-CD for long summer drive

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi --

We're planning a long (for us) car trip this summer thru NM and AZ, so I'd love to have your recommendations for some audio books to help keep us amused. This would be for husband and myself and 9-yr-old boy/girl twins. We read a lot together and have already worked thru the first 4 Harry Potters, most of Beverly Cleary's works, and most of the Laura Ingalls Wilder set, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Even having read the Harry Potter books, the audio books are amazing and would be fun for you. Jim Dale reads them, and he just does a wonderful job. It's like listening to a movie!

I don't know whether your boy would like them, but the Anne of Green Gables audio books are also good.

I recently listened to and really enjoyed "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. One of the audiobook companies has this book read by the author, so it's worth looking for that one if you can find it.

I've started listening to Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books. I'm not in love with the narration style, but the books are good, and kids tend to enjoy them.

Chronicles of Narnia would be another good choice - 7 short books in all, I believe.

These may be a bit old for your kids, but it depends on their reading level. I really enjoyed listening to "The Bartimaeus Trilogy". It's a series about a boy magician and one of the spirits he summons (Bartimaeus). They were recommended to me as being good for Harry Potter fans. They are about magic, but quite different in style and feel from the HP books.

Because of Winn Dixie by kate DiCamillo was a cute book for kids, but easily enjoyable by adults as well.

Though it is heavy, I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" when I read it at age 10. If your kids are mature enough to handle the issues it brings up, I have also really enjoyed listening to it.

"The Cricket in Times Square" was an enjoyable listen as well.

You might also look into some of the childhood classics like "Tom Sawyer", "Wizard of Oz", "Alice in Wonderland", etc. I haven't specifically listened to these, but they are great books!

All of the books that I've listened to I've gotten through my library. If your trip is short enough to check them out just before you leave and return them when you get back, it's a great, and free, option!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, those are great ideas! Anyone else?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM

Definitely consider the rest of the Harry Potter books that you've not already read/listened to. Jim Dale does an outstanding character reading, and though I love the books dearly and have read them numerous times, I still love listening to them on audio when in the car.

Something that's more adult oriented but still enjoyable for the younger set, at least in my family, have been a couple of Bill Bryson books. He's a humor-travel writer who reads his own books on audio--in our family, the 10-14 year olds enjoyed A Walk in the Woods, which is his story of walking the Appalachian Trail, and In a Sunburned Country, which is his writing on Australia. Both are fascinating, funny, wry, and touching by turns.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM

Tom Sawyer-- we took it on a road trip to Hannibal Missouri and it was great.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM

Check the children's department of your local library & ask them for ideas.