Eastern Europe end of September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Oktoberfest inMunich for business for the second time and plan to spend 7-10 days after traveling. I am single, 35 and wanting to go and enjoy a good night life plus sit and watch people.

I have spent time in Paris and Amsterdam solo and enjoy traveling alone and meeting other travelers and locals. What I am looking for are suggestions on where to go, should I do multiple cities? I am open to Austria, Czech Replublic, Italy and surrounding countries. I am American, but I travel well in Europe and attempt to learn conversational languages while I am staying in a country. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Well - first you might look at a map. The areas you're talking about are NOT eastern europe - which is Russia, Ukraine etc. Of the 4 countries you named 3 would have been considered western europe and 1 (Czech Republic) central (although west of some parts of the others).

Don;t know want kind of into you're looking for. All are very popular destinations with extremely well developed tourist infrastructures and English is widely spoken almost everywhere.

As to what to see/do - you need to read some guidebooks.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

What part of Surrounding Countries do you not understand? I asked for recommendations, not corrections on my geography. I was trying to be brief on the headline, but in typical NY fashion, you had to one up things. Also, the 3 countries mentioned at best are central Europe, but if you followed the cold war at all, Eastern Bloc started in Germany.

If I want to read a guide book, I will read a guide book. A personal experience is worth a lot more than a book written by a person on a travel budget or corporate expense account. By putting my age, I was hoping to have someone in my age range recommend a city or a specific place.

Next time post a suggestion as opposed to trying to correct someone. There was absolutely nothing valuable to your post.

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Ok...here's what I would love to do, from Munich go to Salzburg and then onto Vienna and then either go to Prague or Budapest. You could spend tons of time in any or all of those places. October is a lovely time to go to "Central Europe". I think going to the bigger cities would allow for the good nite life and people watching. I think that going to University towns when one is travelling alone is fun and it's easier to hook up with groups of people.

Have a fun trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg is on my list of places to potentially see. Thank you for your fine input. So far, I am considering joining up with a group from Coniki Tours that are for 18-35, covering Berlin, Prague and Vienna. Prague is on my short list of places to go, but I am also interested in Hungary and the former Russian Federations.

Cheers!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Salzburg, and the surrounding countryside, is beautiful so I would second that suggestion. If you go from Salzburg to Prague you could stop in Cesky Krumlov, a very nice town in southern Czech.

You could always head north from Munich. We loved Nuremburg, and I think it would fit in nicely with your age (I am 29 and DH is 30, btw). From here you could check out Heidelburg or the towns along the Rhine or Mosel.

If you went south from Munich, Slovenia is a wonderful country and definitely worth a visit. Ljubljana is a small city but there is certainly enough to do for a day or two and it has a great vibe. And not too far from there is Zagreb, Croatia's capital. Often overlooked due to it's beautiful coastline, but we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon in Zagreb and I certainly wouldn't mind returning.

Munich is close to so many great places...it would be hard to go wrong. Good luck!

Tracy
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Kegger,
One thing I have noticed that constantly happens on this forum is the minute someone refers to a country such as Czech Republic, Poland, etc. as Eastern Europe, within no time at all someone is posting a correction that those countries are not Eastern Europe. I laugh because these countries often refer to themselves as "East European." For instance, when you go to the website for Poland's national airline, LOT, they advertise "Best Eastern Euruopean Airline" and I have seen plenty of tourist brochures for these countries calling themselves East Europe, so I don't know why some Fodorites are in such a haste to correct people. It'd be nicer if responses could be more positive and friendly and not sweat the small stuff.

As for your possible travel choices, I agree that Prague is awesome. I also liked Salzburg a lot, one of the cities you mention. I myself am headed to Krakow in September. Wherever you go will be great.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM

By the way, pardon the spelling error, I was typing fast.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Kegger, I have one word for you young man......

Krakow.

We just returned from there. Everyone seemed to be about your age (or younger). The Rynek Glowny is hopping at night (beautiful town square). Lots of restaurants and places to imbibe. Oh yeah, Krakow also has the most gorgeous, stunning women I have ever seen (even my wife had to agree, although she was scoping out Polish guys).

If I were 35, single and traveling alone, this would be my top spot. Thank me after the trip.

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM

kegger -

Sorry you don;t like my facts - but it is usually good to know where you're going. And if you mentioned being in eastern europe to people in any of those places they would think it quite funny.

Germany, Austria and Italy were western europe even in the (few) years of the cold war. In all the centuries before WW II Germany and Italy were wesern europe and Austria and Czech republic were europe.

A few years of Russian occupation doesn;t change the location of land masses.

Second, if you're going to join a tour group - why ask us for information?

And - it's extremely hard to give useful advice to someone who hasn't done even the most basic research - since there is nothing to respond to.

Third, as for typical NY fashion - if you mean accurate - as opposed to confused or wrong - yes, that's often the case. Also - if you mean trying to help someone by pointing out their mistaken impressions - be my guest - continue to be as mistaken as you like.

But then I've only been to europe 70+ times - since I was 19. And when I was in my 30's didn;t travel with a pack of teenagers. My step-daughters travel independently with friends their own age (19 and 22)- but would consider a 35 year old - well - old.

By putting a question on a public forum you open yourself to answers from everyone else on the forum.

If you want answers from only certain people (ie 35 year old men who travel at a certain budget point - which you didn't mention - and are thinking of joining a party tour - well perhaps those are things you should mention up front.)
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

NY thank you for your clarification. We can agree to disagree, it is our right. Thank you for the info.

I am not a fan of doing a guided tour because I enjoy doing my own thing. I like the route that the Contiki group is taking, and I might follow their dates if they match mine.

So far I am pretty sure Prague is on the top of the list, and Krakow sounds like a great time. Any recommendations on traveling by rail? Should I buy individual tickets or purchase Eurail Pass? I love seeing countryside, so flying is out for me, and it gives me a chance to relax on the train and enjoy myself.

Aggiegirl, your info was great, no worries on the typing. Tracy, you are great, thanks so much for the info. I catch myself practicing people watching in the Galleria here in Houston. I love the fact that so many people from foreign lands come here to go shopping.

My travel budget is open for the trip seeing my company pays for my airfare. I plan to eat at one top scale restaurant in each city I visit if possible, while snacking on the local flavors.

Keep the info coming and thanks again. If anyone knows of good groups on Facebook with more travel suggestions that would be great.

Cheers!
Keg

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Praga, CR, is the weekend city of choice for English party people. Lodz, Poland has been added to their circuit. Berlin and Hamburg are two more such sites. Sorry about the geography gaffe. Just for fun, layout a map of Europe and divide it into halves and thirds. Yes, most Fodorites consider everything East of Paris Eastern Europe. Why not settle on one city and get to know some people.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vienna, Prague and Budapest would make a tour of three cities with probably just too little time to do them justice. Of these I would major on the first two unless you like Spas in which case drop Prague which is a bit too touristy
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Keg,
I'm in Houston too. If you need recommendations for reasonably priced lodging in Prague, Vienna or Salzburg, let me know. I got great deals when I was there in 2006.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Any information is appreciated. I do not know if there is a personal message option on here, and I hate posting my email address due to spammers, but any information I can get is appreciated. If you want to email the information to [email protected] that is my SPAM email and I can check it, I do not care if it gets spammed.

Thanks!
Keg
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Don't miss Krakow but try to see Prague. Been to both and Krakow is my favorite. Returning to both in Sept.
I would suggest you do:
Munich - Krakow catching a cheap flight out of Munich. Then you can train back to Prague (8hrs) and then on to Munich (6hrs). Once you get to Krakow you might what to stay awhile. IMO you will.

The cold war lasted more then a few years. About 45 to be exact. Sent 3 years there in the 60's and all the Iron Curtain countries were refered to as Eastern Europe. Like it or not their still refered to as Eastern Europe.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Vlasska apartments in Prague, owned by Arcadia Residence. Relatively inexpensive for Prague, the location in Mala Strana was great. Quiet for sleeping, but only about a 10-15 minute walk over The Charles Bridge to Old Town and nightlife. Pasquale will meet you upon arrival at apartment, and if you fly in he will have a driver pick you up at the airport.

http://www.arcadiaoldtown.com/

Prague was also very, very fun.

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I recommend these places for clean and budget friendly lodging.

Vienna - Hotel Pension City, right around the corner from St. Stephan's Cathedral. Single room 60 Euro per night.
www.citypension.at/en/index.html

Prague - Guesthouse Lida, two minute walk to Metro station or tram. Nicest hosts ever and free internet computer use. Single rooms start at 800czk for the smallest.
www.lidabb.eu

Salzburg - Haus Lechner. 10 minute walk to heart of historic quarter, also has bustop across the street. Single rooms only 25 euro! This place and Lida are my best deals ever.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM

oops, I forget the link for Salzburg:
http://www.privatvermieter.com/haus-...ndex.php?mid=6
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I will be travelling to that area (whatever it may be called!) also in mid September (also solo and in Kegger's age range). Everyone, please keep the suggestions coming - not too expensive places to stay (particularly Prague and even Budapest) in safe areas/good locations. And by the way, who has a better job than Kegger, being sent to Oktoberfest for work?!