Search

Where to in east europe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to in east europe?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Central/East europe sometime in 2008. We have never been there before and there are so many choices... We will be going there for a week to 10 days. We like good architecture, historical places, and places full of activity (festivals, dances) etc. So far I have looked into Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Budapest and Krakow. We were thinking of picking 3 out of these 5 places. Any suggestions on how we could plan this? (distance between these cities are also a concern..) Any other places I have not mentioned here? We typically travel on tight budgets. Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:13 AM

Prague and Vienna are musts to me and are easy to access by train. I have never seen Budapest.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like Budapest - great views from both sides of the river, not-bad museums, not too pricey, good place to wander around. The problem with Prague, and now Krakow, is that it's overrun with other tourists. If you're going off-season and mid-week it might be better.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM

If you've only got a week, I'd also pick Prague and Vienna. Both are fascinating, easy to navigate, rich in history and architecture, but also very different. And easy to get via train.

If you have 10 days and you want to add a third city, I'd add either Salzburg or Dresden. Both are favorites of ours and can be combined easily with Vienna and Prague.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM

First, all of those cities are in central europe. Eastern europe is Russia, the Ukraine etc.

Second, in a week you can see something of 2 cities - max. I would do Prague and Budapest (Vienna is fine, but I always find it sort of triste). Salzburg is very cute - but then you're really talking about the mountain area - and you would be better off renting a car to tour some of the small mountain villages.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
kja

Hi, to_europe -

All 5 are wonderful destinations (IMHO), so the good news is that you shouldn't lose no matter what you pick. If you have a full 10 days, you might be able to squeeze 3 in - depending on what you want to see and do and your preferred pace of travel. If you have closer to a week, I agree with others that would probably do best to limit yourself to only 2. In fact, you might want to limit yourself to only 2 even if you have closer to 10 days!

The Rough Guides series usually has some very helpful information about options for trains and buses between various cities, including typical travel times, so you might want to check that source. The Rough Guides often also have good tips for reining in the costs of travel.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM

Add Budapest to your itinerary if possible, if only for the museums, delictable food, fabulous shopping, georgeous scenery ... need I go on! Both the Terror Museum and Statue Park will more than satisfy your interest in the countrys history. It's very easy to get around both Buda and Pest as both have extensive Metro and Tram systems. The Central Market is one of the best we've visited in Central Europe and Castle Hill (and surrounding areas) is a fun way to pass the day, as is visiting Margaret Island, smack dab between Buda and Pest in the Danube. Warning that it gets *very* crowded on Sundays! Aquincum, as a day trip, is wonderful if you enjoy Roman ruins.

You've gotten some wonderful advice so far which probably is making your decision even harder.

If this is your 1st trip to the region, though, you might want to limit your visit to only 2 cities rather than 4-5 to really experience the flavor of your destination(s). Enjoy wherever you wind up! Did I mention the delictable food ...
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.. I think we will pick 2 cities, and pack in one more if we decide to go on a longer trip..
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Debs.. thanks for mentioning food in your post.. I forgot about that!! We are vegetarians.. would it be too much of a problem finding vegetarian food in any of these cities? (we are not too fussy, but would definitely prefer variety).
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM

For 10 days two of these cities is all you should try. Prague or Krakow would have to one of them for a feel of old Europe. The other could be Budapest or Vienna for a cosmo visit.

Seeing festivals and concerts depends on season.

For distances get a map and/or a train timetable.

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM

I would definitely visit Prague. I was there at the beginning of June last year and it wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. I spent 5 wonderful days there, and it was the perfect amount of time to fit in some historical tours, a boat tour, and a lot of walking tours around the city. The food was quite good and beer was delightful (and much cheaper than a diet Coke). Because Prague is not using the Euro, it is still very affordable and spectacular to see!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

Not a vegetarian so can't offer any useful comments about which cities would be preferable to visit based on that.

Assuming you're from the US and as the dollar continues to fall against the Euro, Italy2006 makes a good point of noting that Prague isn't using the Euro yet ... nor is Hungary, as it still uses the Forint. Believe the Euro is targeted for 2010 for Hungary. This may influence your ultimate destinations, depending on the time of year you visit. Obviously the high summer season won't be as budget friendly as in the off season, and you may be able to squeeze in a 3rd city at that point!

If you're considering a trip to Eastern Europe (Russia, Ukraine, et), then remember to factor in the cost for obtaining a visa, which you won't need to travel to Central Europe.

ENJOY!
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM

I must chime in here re: currency/money. It is true that neither Czech Republic nor Hungary use the Euro yet.

BUT - the Czech Koruna is even stronger than the Euro! In the last year it won about 10% vs. the Euro. I don't know about the Forint (Hungary) but I expect similar development.

That does not necessarily mean that everything is as expensive as or more expensive than in countries that are on the Euro. But you get the point, don't you?

Ingo
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... how much do clean accommodations (pensions) near the city center in Prague cost? Do you have any recommendations?
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM

<i>how much do clean accommodations (pensions) near the city center in Prague cost?</i>

The answer is anywhere from $5 to $500. It is better to give your upper price and ask for room recommendations, and if you would stay in B&amp;Bs and hostels, or only hotels.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hopscotch. We would prefer accommodations (b&amp;b, private room in hostels, hotels and pensions) in the $75 - $100 range a night.