Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Venice to Switzerland--Where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have our basic itinerary complete for our two-week trip to Italy. I'll confer with the experts here once I fill in the details.

My question now is where to stay in Switzerland. Our last stop in Italy will be Venice and we'll go on to Switzerland from there. We want to spend 3 or 4 days in one spot to decompress from the pace we'll be keeping in Italy. I'd love suggestions for somewhere in Switzerland that's quaint, easy to get to, with beautiful scenery, good restaurants and something for the kids. There will be three adults and 3 kids (11,15 and 17). We'll be flying home after this.

Thank you!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:19 PM

When are you going? How are you traveling? Where does your return flight begin? But off-hand, I would aim for the Ticino, on the Swiss side of the lake region.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

We're going summer 2004, no return flight plans yet--waiting to decide where our trip will end to decide on the departure city. Probably traveling by train.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:28 PM

There are lots of places in Switzerland that meet your criteria. Not knowing what part of Switzerland you'll most likely be heading to, it's difficult to give advice. The nearest part of Switzerland from Venice is the Engadin valley, with St. Moritz as its major city. In that area, however, I'd stay in Silvaplana, a lovely town not far from St. Moritz with a much more peaceful atmosphere. The area is also great for hiking. For mountain atmosphere and real peace with sufficient activities for kids, though, my favorite is Arosa, north of St. Moritz.

The other somewhat close-in area would be, as already suggested, the Ticino. If you go there, Locarno is my favorite among the more well-known places. But the jewel in the Ticino, in my opinion, is the little village of Morcote overlooking Lake Lugano.

You can't go wrong anywhere you choose in Switzerland. Good luck.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to sound vague with my original question. I'm sure Italy is going to be tiring so I want our last stop to be easy.

So let me try again. I'd like our Switzerland destination to be easy to reach from Venice by train. We'd like to stay somewhere that's pedestrian friendly. We enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I'd go to Murren, right in the Jungfra. We went there 2 yrs ago on a rec from Rick Steve's Best of Europe Book and it was absolutely phenomenal. Got a room with a huge patio overlooking the best of the alps for $90 a night!!! It's a great place to enjoy and kick back and it's the best of the alps.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

donw-
Do you recall the name of the hotel?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
With kids that age, either Bern or Montreux come to mind.

In Bern, aside from the Bear Pits and a wonderful park, in summer you can swim in the Aar river and actually float along it in the tide. Lots of kids do this and it is so much fun! Bern is a beautiful city.

In Montreux, during the jazz festival (beginning to mid July), it is so lively with outdoor stalls, music everywhere, and just a great atmosphere. Otherwise, it is a beautiful town with all sorts of water sports, and nice rides on the steam boats along the river to Vevey and Lausanne. A number of tours in the near vicinity if you choose to see castles, etc., but generally a great place to just kick back.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Hello Jayne11159,

Well, I agree that Muerren would be an ideal spot for an active family -- lots of mountain scenery and charm to relax the parents with lots of alpine rambles and activities to entertain the kids. However, it does seem like quite a long haul, especially considering your note that you want this journey to be easy. The train from Venice to Muerren will be between 7 and 8 hours, with five or six changes enroute.

Some other options, in addition to the great ones you've received already, might be the small town of Poschiavo, set in its own valley south of the Bernina Valley and north of Tirano. This will be in the Italian portion of the country, and it is a cozy town with lots of hiking opportunities and a lake not far away. Flying out of Milan would be easiest for this place. Poschiavo would be 6.49 or 6.24 hours from Venice by train with two changes.

Pontresina, sitting just at the northern end of the Bernina Valley, would be another great option. Set in a wide mountain valley, Pontresina is a large-ish mountain town with many, many, many hiking and biking opportunities in the Engadin Valley, the Bernina Valley, and as far south as the Poschiavo Valley. The train from Venice would be 7.49 hours or 8.04 hours with two changes.

The towns of Lake Geneva would be cool, too. Here you can relax at a lakeside café enjoying the mountain views while your active folks walk or bike the lakeside promenades or the vineyard trails above. Getting to, say, Vevey, would take 6.38 or 7.10 hours with one change. Geneva airport is about 1.30 hours by train, and Zurich airport is about 3 hours away.

I think my best suggestion would be to go to Luzern. Another incredibly scenic lakeside town, Luzern also has many museums and attractions to entertain the kids; it also has ferry rides to four or five lakeside villages, excursions to the mountain peaks of Titlis, Rigi, and Pilatus, walks in the mountains, and walks or bike rides along the lake. Luzern is 7 hours by train from Venice with one change. The Zurich airport is about an hour away by train.

You can get rail schedules at www.rail.ch if you'd like more detailed information. There have been lots of posts on all of these destinations; just do a text search here to get more information and more websites. You might want to do a photo search at the community pages at www.webshots.com to get an idea of what these places look like.

Let me know if I can help further!

s
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:25 AM

This summer we went from Venice to Interlaken in Switzerland. Stayed at Backpakers Villa ( its not filled with college kids only ). Its a steal and a good one.

Interlaken has many recreational activities, and has easy access to great hikes and views.

We went via Milan to have a quick peek at the amazing Duomo.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I vote for Luzern for a variety of things to see and do--Lake, Alps etc.
And, easy access. Fly home from Zurich.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:49 AM

If you are flying home from Zurich, Lucerne is a perfect choice for you. Bob the Navigator pretty well covered it. I would only add that Lucerne has one of those "rodelbahn" rides - a wheeled luge down the mountain - my teenage son loved it. We all enjoyed it.

I think Lucerne has everything you want - it's not a small village but it is very quaint and lovely. Many options. And, if you are flying out of Zurich, you can check your bags all the way thru to your plane from the train station in Lucerne. (At least you could three years ago). Very convenient.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:39 AM
car

Jayne11159
certanly the two best choices are Lugano(area) and Luzern. St Morizt , Interlaken, Murren, are beatiful but slighty off your track and will not be so much fun for the kids.
Food is better in the Ticino area and amusements better in Luzern, the transport museum is great for children.
The swiss rail company offers a trip called the William Tell express journey from Lugano to Luzern involving train, ship, which was great, my kids 11 and 14 at the time, loved it.
So my suggestion is stop in Lugano 2 days and then go to Luzern for another 2 days.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Luzern sounds perfect for us. I had considered Lugano, but wondered if it have more of an Italian flavor. We're interested in experiencing the Swiss culture. The train trip sounds very do-able with just one switch. Train travel is very relaxing and is a good chance to unwide and take in the scenery. It would be esp. convenient to be able to check our bags through to the Zurich airport.

A couple more questions. Can you navigate Luzern without a car? Do you have any lodging/villa suggestions or rental agencies you can suggest?

Thanks for all your help.

Jayne
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Jayne- Emmetten(spelling?) is a small, quaint Swiss village in the mountains, near Luzerne, and easy access- That is if you prefer something smaller and not in the city of Luzerne.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:55 PM

I'll cast my vote for Luzern also. It is fairly easy to navigate without a car. You can walk to many of the places and the trams or buses can take you to all the rest! Luzern is such a beautiful picture postcard place!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM

We traveled by train from Venice to Locarno and took a quick cab ride to Ascona. It was a nice break, beautiful lake with boat trips, small manageable town with nice shops restaurants. We stayed at the Schiff right on the lake. Nice hotel and staff. We did not have kids so I'm not sure about activites. I believe there were hotels with pools.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done two trips in reverse of what you're asking. I stay with friends in the Montreux, Vevey area. You can catch an overnight train to Venice, so assume you could do the same in reverse?

Outside Geneva along Lac Leman are absolutely lovely towns, Lausanne, Montreux, Vevey, the wine regions up on the hills, smaller towns in between. Boats cruises on the lake, trams up the mountains, open air markets (different days each town).

Sorry didn't read all the details of your plans, but you can fly out of Geneva (the train station and airport are adjoining buildings).
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Luzern is really easy to get around without a car; in fact I think a car would be a bit of a hindrance.
Coming by train, the station is right there on the south side of the Reuss River. Most of the hotels are on the north side. It's an easy walk over the bridge, even with luggage. On the other side of the river, by the Chapel Bridge, are several hotel options. We stayed at Hotel des Alpes, and had a river/bridge view. It was an extraordinary view! Breakfast is taken on their terrace, also with incredible view.
From there, you can walk to most of the sites. You can also catch the lake steamer boats that will take you to the base of either the cog railways for Mount Pilatus or Rigi. If you decide to go to the top of either (it is SO beautiful!), make sure you take warm wraps with you, even at the hottest part of summer, because there's still snow up there in spots and it can get really cold. If you go up by cog rail to the top of Mt. Pilatus, you end up taking cable cars back down -- the kids will love this! From there, you take a bus back into town.

Don't miss the dying lion monument -- very peaceful. The kids would also like the Swiss Transportation Museum (it is NOT boring!)

If you don't want to walk, the buses are easy to use and fun.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM
jmw

Hi, Jayne, You're correct. Though beautiful, the lake towns of Ticino are very Italianate. Lucerne will give you greater contrast and the Switzerland you see on calendars. J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -