from US to Europe

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from US to Europe

I wanted to know if anyone has ever traveled from the US to Europe with a baby, and if so, how young was he or she? I may need to hit a baby forum, but when is it safe to travel by air with a baby. I am talking anywhere between 1 month and up. if anyone can send me more info at [email protected] I'd really appreciate.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
ira

HI H,

>when is it safe to travel by air with a baby.<

Consult your pediatrician.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM

hi, hobokelly,

well, we travelled in the opposite direction with our daughter aged 11 months, will no ill-effects at least to her.

In the UK, new mothers have something called a 6 week check after giving birth, after which most resume "normal life" or as normal as a baby in tthe house will allow. you might want to ask your gynachologist about travel before this time. obviously birth complications for you or the baby might mean a longer time is advisable.

also look at the airline web-sites to see what they say.

good luck,

regards, ann
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 08:39 AM

We recently traveled for almost 2 weeks with our son, 10 months at the time. We went to London and Paris. I am working on my trip report and will post it soon. I did post a few specific questions here and got great feed back. Formula brands, stroller opinions ect.

As mentioned, medically that is up to your doctor but the day to day things are easy with a few adjustments, preparation and patience.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM

You MUST consult your pediatrician. It will depend on a lot of things - including baby's age and health status, if you've breast fed the baby, if baby is subject to ear infections etc.

But - one month is awfully young to take a baby into the germ factory that is the average airliner - esp for a long trip.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM

Do you have to travel for some reason? Or this is just a pleasure trip? Can't you wait until your baby is a little bit older?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

I just took a second to google "air travel with infant" and a large number of links came up, so I imagine you can do that easily and get lots of information.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

We traveled with our 6 week old baby from Chicago to San Diego with no ill effects for her or her health. This was 20 years ago and I do realize that there are so many differences between then & now with babies. Also there is a big difference between cross country and across the "pond".
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM

I would imagine it would be prudent to wait until the baby had been immunised before heading overseas.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM
BKP

I travelled to Paris with an 11 month old. If you like, you can click on my name for the trip report. I'll echo the best advice that you have already received -- talk to your pediatrician and your obgyn. I can't imagine that either would give you the go ahead at 4 weeks. My ped. reccomended waiting at least 3 months. Waiting for your child to be fully immunized (with all the boosters and such) would be years and not completely neccessary when travelling just to Europe. Having said that though, we went before my child was 1 and therefore without his chicken pox and you guessed it -- he came down with the chicken pox as soon as we got back. Because of the incubation period of chicken pox my ped guessed he contracted it on the trip. Chicken pox in a little guy that young can be pretty serious. We were fortunate but we did tell everyone that he had the Parisian Pox!
On a less safety related note, travelling with a baby is more difficult, but we felt more rewarding. Good luck!