From Schipol,Taxi or Connexxion?

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Schipol,Taxi or Connexxion?

I'll arrive in Amsterdam at 9:00 AM but my body will absolutely KNOW it's really 3:00 AM.To get to my hotel, do I fork over the money for a taxi b/c it's quicker and easier or will the Connexxion Shuttle be just as quick and easy?
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM

The Connexxion is easy enough -if- it passes by your hotel... but they sit out front and wait for passengers a while... it's about 12€ one-way.

A taxi will be fast, direct, and cost about 30-35€

You could take the train to Centraal for 3-4€ (15 minutes) then a taxi for +/- 10€
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM

We took the train into town and it was a snap! I can't imagine that you would need a taxi, but I guess everyone is different. My husband and I are in our mid 50's, and we had no problem whatsoever using the train into Amsterdam and then using the trams to our stop.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Connexxion worked perfect for me! Cheaper than a taxi & no worries trying to figure out public transportation (ya ya, I know the train is supposed to be easy as pie, but traveling alone jet laggged and still needing to get from Central Station out to my hotel in Leidseplein by tram or a taxi... well Connexxion was just great.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM

BTW, if you're 2+ people together, then might as well spring for a taxi instead.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

A jet-lagged sally is not a pretty (or quick-thinking) sally, so Connexxion it is. I'm arriving alone, but returning with my daughter so there will be 2 of us heading back to the airport. I'm thinking a taxi might be more reliable for that trip (time wise)...Whatdoyathink?

Another question, just to be sure: The 30/35 Euro for the taxi is for the ride and not for each passenger?

And, thanks everybody. I appreciate you.

sal
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:30 AM

That's what it cost the 2 of us to return to the airport last time we flew out of Amsterdam. (April 2004)
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM

i managed it solo and jet lagged so you can too sallyjane! after you exit the airport you stand on the curb where there are various transportation options. i asked an airport worker who directed me where to stand. actually i guess there was some signage because i remember seeing a long list of all the hotels the bus route served (jet lag, like i said!). anyway the bus came, you pay the driver, he took a list of which hotels the people needed to go to, and his route then included only these hotels (not all the ones on the list). it didn't take too long to get to town, and was a nice little tour of the city on the way. i took it back as well. my hotel front desk sold me that ticket and told me the pick up time (if i remember correct). but with two people, yes i'd take a taxi instead. ask your hotel to call one for you.

that's the long version, but since you sounded a teeny bit nervous thought i'd give you the details. my philosphy of remembering europe travel experiences is that if i don't remember much, things must have gone smoothly and been pretty easy (how did i buy that train ticket to Venice? ~LOL).
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the details, suze. Not nervous, just practical.I have hypogyclemia so I have to stay prepared and strive not to create too much fatique which could ruin my trip. This daughter is the one (of the two) who cannot handle it if Mom starts to crash! She can "do" Africa but not Mom's not feeling well!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Then I would recommend a taxi - it will leave the airport immediately and take you straight to your door.

Connexxion stops at selected hotels - do you know if yours is one of them? Also there are (or were) 2 routes, so make sure with your driver that his route is the one you need. If your hotel is not a stop, you need to find out where the nearest stop is, and then you'll have to hoof it with your luggage.