Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Naxos to AThens - options on transportation?

Oct 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Although ferry schedules not available yet for May 2010, does anyone know if there are ferries from Naxos to Athens? Alternatively, flights?
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM
wug

We were there in May of 06 and took the high speed ferry from Naxos to Athens. I can't remember if it ran every day or not but, there shouldn't be a problem getting either the high speed or the larger ferry that time of year. The schedule won't be as frequent as in the busier months but, still not a problem.

May is an awesome time to go to Greece. Enjoy!
Oct 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Yes, there is at least one ferry every day. This is a well-travelled ferry route by both Greeks and tourists. The ferries constantly carry supplies to the islands. In the past Olympic Air has provided flights but it remains to be seen if the new owners are going to do the same.

http://www.olympicair.com/Home.aspx?a_id=549
Oct 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM

we took a flight from Naxos to Athens on Olympic in June 08. None of the luggage went with us because of weight and winds from what I understood. We got our luggage the next morning. It had been delivered to our hotel. We were in Athens for 2 nights so we weren't too worried, but if you're heading out from Athens right away I'd be nervous as I heard someone say that the luggage not going with you on the flight happens often. Naxos was fantastic and we can't wait to go back.
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM

There are always two Blue Star Ferries (one morning and one late afternoon) from Naxos to Piraeus, the main Athens port. By late May there will also be at least one Hellenic Seaways highspeed, and on most days the HS Nissos Mykonos or Nissos Chios, two new and very large ferries stopping at Naxos enroute from the eastern Aegean. Naxos-Piraeus is one of the busiest routes in Greece, so you have no worries getting to Athens from there by ferry any day of the week.

Contracts for the state-subsidized air route from Athens to Naxos are pending, and no one knows for sure who the carrier for next year will be (my guess: Olympic Air, the new airline replacing Olympic Airlines). Naxos has a very short runway (2,900 ft), so strict takeoff weight limits apply.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone - as long as we know there will be something available I won't worry about it. Looks like ferry best option for a couple of our group who are flying out of Athens that night - we always try to pack light but...........
We are very much looking forward to going to Greece (my second time - first visit was to Kefalonia as a surprise from my sister for my 50th - she told me we were going to the Isle of Wight so what a great surprise. This time - Santorini for 8 nights with a group of 10 and Naxos for 5 nights with a smaller group.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Conventional wisdom is to return to Athens at least one day before your flight home. That said, I have often returned to Athens on the morning Blue Star (arrives Piraeus at 3:00pm) for flights departing at 7:00pm or later. There is a risk of missing your flight if the ferry is cancelled for weather or other reasons, though.

Blue Star ferries are as reliable as they come, and May is a month when there aren't many weather cancellations. Never attempt a same-day return on a highspeed catamaran, especially those operated by Sea Jets.
Oct 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Agree with Heimdall ... Right near where Blue Star Docks, get the X96 bus that goes to the Airport ... from 70-90 minutes dependent on traffic. Metro no faster because u have to change trains, and with bus you can just PLOP and forget it. There's a central area in bus whre you can pile luggage. 3.70€.
Oct 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I think we will go to Athens on Thursday afternoon and overnight for the Friday evening flights (gives us an evening and day there - we want to see some of Athens)
Oct 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM

Good decision!