From London to Chipping Warden

May 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

From London to Chipping Warden

I am interested in genealogy and will be in London this June. If possible I would like to visit Chipping Warden - a town that my ancestors came from. Are there train connections or how could I get there? About how long would it take? Would the connections allow me to get there and also get back to London in the same day? I know it is small. Thank you.
May 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM

There is no train --but you can take a train from London to Banbury and a taxi from there.

Trains leave from Marylebone stations an take a bit over an hour w/ no changes. (Or from Paddington w/ a transfer at Reading)

Easy to do as a day trip.
May 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Meant to add -- Banbury to Chipping Warden is maybe 7 or 8 mles
May 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Apparently Chipping Warden is a village about 6 miles NE of Banbury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Warden

You can get a train to Banbury from Marylebone or Paddington stations.

From Banbury http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=CHI055 runs bus services, the route to Rugby seems to run every 60 minutes, or get a taxi.

Hope this helps.
May 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM

There are 3 trains an hour with Chiltern Railways from Marylebone to Banbury, with a journey time of 70 minutes or so. There is an hourly bus from Banbury to Chipping Warden run by Geoff Amos Coaches (www.geoffamos.co.uk/).

The best time for you will depend on where you start from in London. Note that there are no buses on Sunday, when train times will also be different, and you will have to walk (about 10 minutes) from Banbury Station to the town centre.
May 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM

My God, we are a helpful lot.
May 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM

"My God, we are a helpful lot."

But I'll bet I'm the only one of the three of us who has actually been to Chipping Warden (and I'm the Yank in the room )

But I don't get (nor claim) extra credit for that -- I used to live not too far from there an one of my husband's co-workers lived in the village. I had to pick her up one time when there was car trouble
May 27th, 2011, 12:32 AM

I dont know how far you have got, but bear in mind that the actual parish records are elsewhere - in the County Record Office at Northampton, or on microfilm at the LDS Family History Centre in South Kensington.
May 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM

You may find this website helpful. Chipping Warden is over the border (in Northamptonshire) from Banbury in Oxfordshire http://www.kellner.eclipse.co.uk/gen...#ChurchRecords
May 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I knew the records were in another location - I think Northampton, but I will be bringing my teenage granddaughter with me. I don't know if it would be possible to go to Chipping Warden AND Northampton. I want to do it in a day trip. I of course have a grand fantasy of finding a family headstone in the cemetery. I do want to see the town and take some photos for my blog. I am hoping that the records are available online, if not, I may need to change my plans. Thank you so much for all of your help.
May 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Do you know which records you will need? Census returns (1841-1901) and index to Births, Marriages and Deaths after 1837 are on-line via Ancestry or Find My Past.
Parish records are unlikely to be on-line. They may have been micro-filmed and be available for searching in the Northampton Record Office. I'd advise checking with the Record Office before you arrive.
http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/e...rd-office.aspx
May 30th, 2011, 06:14 AM

It's 22 miles from Chipping Warden to Northampton which is an easy 40 mins by car but can't find a bus route. You could consider a taxi.
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Ancestry does not have the records for Chipping Warden, but I have discovered a distant cousin who has copies of many of the original records so I will forget about the trip to Northampton. Is it possible to go inside the St Peter 7 Paul church in Chipping Warden? I did see photos on Flickr and my family was there for several generations so I would love to see the church personally and not only wander around the cemetery - which I will love doing. If I go on Sunday, I have the transportation issue. Thank you so much for all your help.
Jun 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM

The general practice in villages round here is that Anglican churches are open from 9-ish to five-ish every day if they've got a full time priest.

If they haven't (and Chipping Warden hasn't), there's usually someone nearby who's a designated keyholder. They're ALWAYS (at civilised hours) happy to let visitors into the church, and usually their address (in my experience, rarely more than 5 mins' walk away) is displayed at the front door.

There's no contact for a keyholder at the church's surrogate website (http://www.achurchnearyou.com/chippi...peter-st-paul/), but you might try the local team minister, who IS listed.

Don't be reticent about just turning up,though. CofE churches are part of the community, and absolutely not just for God-botherers. Helping people find their ancestors, though it upsets some fundamentalists to be told it, is just as much part of their job as hosting concerts and lectures or marrying people who'll never go to church again till they get buried.
Jun 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM

The general practice in villages round here is that Anglican churches are open from 9-ish to five-ish every day if they've got a full time priest.

If they haven't (and Chipping Warden hasn't), there's usually someone nearby who's a designated keyholder. They're ALWAYS (at civilised hours) happy to let visitors into the church, and usually their address (in my experience, rarely more than 5 mins' walk away) is displayed at the front door.

There's no contact for a keyholder at the church's surrogate website (http://www.achurchnearyou.com/chippi...peter-st-paul/), but you might try the local team minister, who IS listed.

Don't be reticent about just turning up,though. CofE churches are part of the community, and absolutely not just for God-botherers. Helping people find their ancestors, though it upsets some fundamentalists to be told it, is just as much part of their job as hosting concerts and lectures or marrying people who'll never go to church again till they get buried.
Jun 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help. I sent an email to the diocese office that was listed on their website, but did not have a reply so today I phoned and they gave me the church warden's phone number. It has been busy but I will keep trying. I have been discovering more ancestors from there who were married in that church and buried there. I am sure I can get to Chipping Warden, but will have to make sure of the connections to return to London. I did notice via Google Maps a Rose and Crown Inn that most probably will see us for lunch or dinner - or both.
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

What is the least expensive way to get from London near Euston tube to Chipping Warden? I looked up the Chiltern Railways as suggested but it appears that it is 52 pounds each way. There are two of us. I could be reading it wrong as I am using an iPod touch for my Internet connection and that has it's limitations. Thanks
Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:55 AM

Thb standard, walk up fare right this minute (without any need for advance booking) on Chiltern from Marylebone is £25 RETURN. £28 return if I'd left an hour ago

You'll probably find you've been looking, whether delberately or not, for the utterly unrestricted fare on Great Western from Paddington. Set the search engine for Marylebone, NOT Euston, then buy a separate tube ticket. www.nationalrail.co.uk
Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I assume that if I want to buy an advance purchase I need to go to Marlebone to do so. Would this be any cheaper? Thanks.
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM

I was interested in this blog when I looked up Chipping Warden. sewitall was saying she had relatives there. I am from South Australia and some of my relatives migrated here from 2 villages very close by...Eydon and Byfield.The parish registers of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul at chipping Warden have over 800 entries of my ancestry name of LINES,apparently the largest number for any family in the district. Which leads me to ask what family name you are a descendant. I'm sure we spread far and wide...my relative John Ayers Lines set off for Australia in 1851. It surely is an interesting subject

Search this Thread