Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > From Heathrow to Knightsbridge - Oyster or what?

From Heathrow to Knightsbridge - Oyster or what?

Mar 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

From Heathrow to Knightsbridge - Oyster or what?

Three of us are arriving at Heathrow and will have to get to our apartment in Knightsbidge. I figured we'd just take the tube. We'll be in London 6 days, taking tube and buses, and will also be returning to Heathrow at the end. I am puzzled by the ticket vs. oyster options but decided to go for the oyster. I assume we need one for each of us, is that correct? I didn't purchase the cards in advance, so we will need to get them when we arrive. From everything I have read, you can't get them at Heathrow. Does that mean we can't use them to get into London? What are our travel/card options?
Mar 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM

I'd say get a 7 day zone 1-2 paper travelcard from a train station as it allows you to use the 2-4-1 offers on www.daysoutguide.com which will save you a lot of money.

This will need a bit of planning as you can't buy them at Heathrow and your nearest train station will be Victoria - which isn't on a direct line from Knightsbridge.

There is a bus service to Victoria but it's as quick to walk
Mar 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Uh oh, here we go with the 2 4 1 complications....Check out the offers that Alec has suggested. Then decide whether you're going to do any of them as this will really change the way the situation is handled.

If you're not going to do any of them, then the solution is simple. You will get 3 7 day travelcards loaded on an oyster card. Most assuredly available at the Heathrow tube station. You will need extensions for the trip in and back to Heathrow. The clerk will explain and put the extension fares on the oyster card and you're done.

It becomes somewhat hairier and complicated if you're going to do one or more of the 2 4 1's. It can also get more complicated if you will be travelling say to Hampton Court on the national rail.

If you intend to do any of the 2 4 1's that were described, the problem is they don't honor the oyster card travelcard. What I would do in that case and it is a trifle more complicated but follow me on this...you get 2 7 day oyster cards for zones 1 & 2 as described above. The third person gets a PAYG oyster card and loads it with 20 quid. This one will also be charged a 3 quid deposit. Okay...on the night before you do a 2 4 1, stop at your leisure at some point at a national rail station (say Victoria)...go to one of the national rail windows and purchase a 1 day travelcard for the next day off peak. That will be good all day after 0930 on a weekday. On that day when you leave the hotel, leave the PAYG oyster card in the apartment and for use of the 2 4 1 the paper travelcard (with the national rail logo on it) will suffice. White it seems a trifle complicated, the problem with buying 7 day paper travelcards at a national rail station is that those cannot get extension fares the way the system is set up. Therefore, you would have to pay the full fare in and out from Heathrow which is £4 each, plus to get to the rail station to pick up the 7 day paper travelcard, you would either have to stop at Victoria or Paddington or whatever on the way, or spend another 4 quid to get to the station to pick up the paper 7 day card. Ouch ouch ouch...

Now as I noted the further complication is that Hampton Court among other places is within the tfl London zone set up but no underground train passes by, you would have to use one of the national rail lines and they don't all accept oyster cards with extensions or PAYG oystercards. You could get there by bus which will accept oyster cards. Robespierre has explained what buses you could take, you might find his explanation or he is on this board a great deal and he might volunteer the information again.

It can't be made simpler. Of course if money is no object, you could take the Heathrow Express to and from Paddington (16 quid a pop I think), pick up your paper travelcards at the national rail station there and either tube or taxi from Paddington...or use the slightly slower Heathrow Central service but it's only slightly cheaper to Paddington.

So again let me summarize the salient points..

I apologize for the length of the response, but there is so much misinformation and confusion about this thanks to the inability of tfl to get its act together with the national rail lines. If there's anything unclear, please ask and I'll try to answer.
Mar 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM

oops it was Alan who described. Sorry Alan....I had Alec on my mind for some reason.
Mar 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM

oops in rereading my post it might be unclear...you would each get a 7 day travelcard loaded on oyster in the first situation.......
Mar 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM

"From everything I have read, you can't get them at Heathrow." Of course you can. There is a tube station at LHR . . . . .

Yes, you each need your own oyster card. If you aren't going to use the 2for1 offers - there is no need for a paper card for traveling around central London. (sometimes "bargains/deals" might be more trouble than they're worth)
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I checked out the 2-4-1 offers and we might use some but then again we might not. I think we're inclined to do whatever is easiest rather than cheapest because our time is valuable, too. So it looks like we'll go for the oyster. Now do we need 3 oysters or can we all use the same one?
Mar 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM

No, at Heathrow you'll get 3 separate oyster cards loaded with 7 day travelcards for £25.80...the extensions on each would be £1.10 non peak (basically between 0930 and 1600 and before 0630 and after 1900 weekdays and all during the weekend and £2 peak. The £3 deposit will be waived. Nice, simple convenient. Good 24/7 during the 7 day period.
Mar 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM

The 7 day travelcards which will be loaded on the 3 separate oyster cards will be zones 1 & 2....the clerk at Heathrow Station will surely be up to date on all this...probably hundreds of people pass through that way each day....almost all the tourist spots are in zone1, Greenwich is in zone 2 as is the zoo. If you should go to Hampton Court, you'll either have to take the bus (the oyster card will be fine) or a national rail train which I believe unless it's changed recently does not take oyster cards...you would probably have to purchase a zone 1-6 travelcard for that trip which wouldn't be terribly more than an extension fare on oyster...the exact info you can find out if you call tfl while you're in London but everything else should run smoothly with the 7 day cards.

Search this Thread