Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7-day paper travelcard- buy it at Heathrow?

Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read many posts about the question of which kind of card to get, and I think this sums it up- it's from one of the posts a few months ago...

"The only other question is what sort of Travelcard to get - An Oystercard from a Tube station or a paper card from a train station. The cost is the same, there's a refundable deposit on the Oystercard and is easier to use out of zone but the paper Travelcard does give the 2-4-1 offers so even if you only use it once for the offers you save money."

We'll be in town 4 1/2 days, so a 7-day card seems to make sense, according to previous recommendations here. If all things are equal, I figure why not get the paper card- we may want to use the 2 for 1 discounts.. Can we get it upon arrival at Heathrow- I take it there is a National Rail station right there? I actually have our Oyster cards from last time I can bring, even if they need to be topped off for the ride into town. (We're going to Leicester Square.)

(A little added info: we're staying the night at an airport hotel and then going to town the next day from the nearest tube stop to the hotel, not from Heathrow- that's why we'd go by tube and not by rail.)

Does this sound like a good plan?
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM

Heathrow does not have a National rail station ticket office..you cannot get a National Rail travelcard there...you do realize you can get one day paper travelcards at National rail offices so you can follow your plan...perhaps a tad more money than you might wish to spend although not earth shaking but how about this...(I don't know where you're staying n central London but fill the oyster card with say 15 to 20 quid and use it any day you're not doing a 2 4 1. If you plan ahead, say you want to do a 2 4 1 the next day, at some point duirng the previous day you can stop off at a national rail office and pick up a 1 day paper travelcard for the next day and on that day use the national rail card. That will work too but many feel it's too convoluted and what the hell, just get the 7 day card and be done with it but you will have to, at some point, make a special trip to a national rail station which might be around the corner from your hotel in central London.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

So if I don't get the 7-day card, and do your first plan above, I'm using Oyster PAYG some days, and using 1-day paper travel cards other days- I'll save money using the 2-for-1's, but then don't get the savings of a 7-day card. Doesn't sound like a great trade-off, plus then I have to run around to rail stations!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM

nv1325....4 1/2 days with oyster card caps will probably come out cheaper than a 7 day travelcard if we leave 2 4 1's aside for there's surely to be a day there where you might only use buses or only take one return trip on the tube, do some walking, whatever.

Having said that, the difference simply will not be all that great one way or the other. Once the 2 4 1's become an issue, if the savings are significant (I travel single so I don't use them so I don't know and I emphasize that, I don't know how significiant the savings are, I assume substantial), I really in my heart of hearts think the idea of using oyster PAYG on those days you don't use the 2 4 1's will work and probably be somewhat cheaper than just springing for a 7 dayt travelcard...is it a tad more meaning you have to plan in advance and perhaps it is a tad of an inconvenience to stop off the day before to pick up a 1 day paper travbelcard at a national rail office so you have to decide if it's worth it to you. If it were me, being the cheap person I am and if I were using the 2 4 1's, I would probably opt for the oyster PAYG with 1 day travelcards for those days I want to do a 2 4 1 but again in the end, it isn't going to make all that much of a difference one way or the other.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

xyz123, thanks for your comments- that was very helpful. I'll look closely at the list of 2-for-1's and then decide which, if any, we'd actually use. (There are some afternoon teas- I wonder if they're any good??)