From Gare du Nord to Boulv St Germain 5 with luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 arriving by Eurostar to the Gare du Nord and are going to our apartment just off Boulevard St Germain on Easter Saturday, any one suggest which is the best way to get there, taxi or train? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM

How much luggage? What is your preference for budget or convenience?

If it were me I would cab - but I'm allergic to luggage on public transit.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Each of us would have one suitcase and a hand luggage. Do you know approximately how much it would cost for a taxi?
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Using this site: http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ra...herche-avancee you could determine if it is really possible to use public transportation. Just make sure that you type out Boulevard Saint Germain correctly in the full street address that you enter as your destination.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:53 AM

Take a taxi. They are right outside the door of Gare du Nord. It should be around 10-15 Euro and that is not much more than bus or metro fare will rn for 5 people. They do have larger taxis that take many passengers
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:50 AM

It will probably be a bit more than 10-15 euro. That would be about right for 1 or 2 people but with the extra charges for the 3rd, 4th and 5th
passengers plus the extra baggage charge it will
be in the 20+ range. Still not a huge price and worth it in my opinion to be dropped right at the front door of your apartment.

Don't go out the front doors at Gare du Nord... the taxis are at the side and you'll see signs.
Only use a taxi with a "Taxi Parisien" sign on the roof.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:31 AM

I have just returned from Paris and add to other comments that a taxi is a far batter option. There will undoubtedly be many stairs and other 'obstacles" with train travel and it would be far more 'pleasant' to taxi it. There were 4 in our party and we travelled by one taxi from Gare de L'Est to the Marais with lots of luggage for under 20 euros. The metro is great but not with lots of luggage.......
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM

I don't think the fare would even be 10 euro without surcharges for luggage, I'd count on 15-20. Maybe in the middle of the night when absolutely no traffic, so I'd count on it costing more than that. But I'd do it, also, unless the luggage were pretty small. I might feel differently depending exactly where that apt is, but bd St Germain is very long. If it were right across from a metro stop, for example, I probably would take the metro. As long as you didn't have to transfer (which you shouldn't as line 4 goes right from Gare du Nord to St Germain).

So if it is right near Odeon or St Germain des Pres metro stop, I'd take the metro.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we just came throguh the gare du nord last weeek, though we used the RER B in both directions.

There ARE elevators up from RER platform level, but sadly not all the way up to the Eurostar departure level. the same applieson arrival.

so I think that I would be inclined to get a cab.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Last Oct we arrived at Gare du Nord and stayed in the St Germaine area. We took a taxi --can't remember exact fare but it was in the range quoted by other posters above. Given the sometimes endless stairs in metro stations, I'm glad we took a taxi to our hotel instead of lugging our luggage up and down stairs.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM

If your lodgings are east of the Boulevard St. Michel, you could take the 38 bus to the Boulevard St. Germain and transfer to the 63. It would not be as convenient going west.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all your advice and comments. I do think taking a taxi would be the best option for us as a family, don't want to wear the kids out too much, we already have 3 flights of stairs to climb to get up to our apartment.