Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Florence to Brussels- HOW to do it?????

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:29 PM
cherie

We're staying in Florence a week and then want to go to Brussels/Brugge for another week. We were thinking about driving but a lot of yo advised against it- so I've checked on flying. Ryan Air flies out of Pis but we can only take 15kilograms of luggage Virgin Express flies out of Rome but we can only take 20Kilograms on it. We thought about a sleeper but heard you practically have to sleep on the luggage to keep it from being stolen on the train. Is there an airline that flies out of Florence? I can't find one except Alatalia and they only have one flight at 7:30 am that goes to London - then later in the afternoon to Brussels . Would driving really be that bad???? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Rex

These are not the absolute baggage limits - - they're just the free baggage limits. You can take up to 40-45 kg per person (which is a ton!) - - you just have to pay the excess baggage charge (maybe). Usually, there is SOME threshold for EACH bag - - and once you go over that, you will be forced to use air freight. It used to be 100 pounds (domestic in the US) - - I don't know about europe. I can tell you of experiences traveling with laser printers (close to 70 pounds each) a few years ago - - no big deal really - - and no surcharges paid.

In your exact situation, I would fly Rome-Brussels on Virgin-express. Train ride from florence is one hour shorter, and flight arrives in BRU - - not Charleroi ("Brussels South").

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM
travelling

You will have to pay excess: Virgin charges 5 Euro per extra kilo, Ryanair 6 Euro. How much are you planning to take along?

Apr 29th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Debbie

You should check out europebyair.com they have many $99 flights that go to Brussels. I just went to their site and Florence is greyed out but you can fly from Milan or Rome for the $99 fare. I would ask about florence just to see for sure.

Apr 30th, 2002, 07:47 AM

topping

Apr 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Rex

Since you have two threads on this same question...

combining, and topping...

Author: cherie ([email protected])
Date: 04/30/2002, 11:38 am

Message: We will be in Florence for a week and then plan a week in Brussels/Brugge. Is there an airline that flies out of Florence to Brussels? We were going to do a sleeper train but I read that you really have to stay alert or sleep on top of your luggage so we decided to fly. Can't find any flights direct from Florence to Brussels. Any advice???? Ryan air flies from Pisa but will only let you take 15 kilograms of luggage.

---------------------------------------

Author: Ian ([email protected])
Date: 04/30/2002, 12:10 pm

Message: Flight SN3140 with SN Brussels Airlines (ex Sabena) leaves 16.15 arrives 18.10 - www.brussels-airlines.com

Apr 30th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Liz

About the overnight train: The safety issues you raise MIGHT be true in a couchette compartment, but a private sleeper compartment is quite different. Not cheap, of course, but don't toss the idea, yet.