What's the coolest city in Spain?

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Frank

What's the coolest city in Spain?

I'm visiting Spain this summer and I'm trying to find out where I can go to have the most fun. My party is looking for places with great scenery and a good night life - good food, good bars and cafes - that sort of thing. Also, we are all about 30 so it would be nice to find a place with travelers similar to us. Madrid and Pamplona are already on the docket. I've read some good things about Bilbao but I'm still not sure about it.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Jean Valjean

Barcelona!

Bilbao is very interesting (just the Guggenheim justifies the trip), but for an exciting city with an excellent night life, nothing beats Barcelona (except maybe for Madrid, the jury is still out on that one)

If you want a REALLY active night life, have you considered Ibiza?

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Frank

Thanks, Jean. I don't know about REALLY active. I'm a pub kind of guy - not into the disco/club scene at all. Tell me about Ibiza...

Apr 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Jean Valjean

Barcelona is definitely the place to go.

When you get there, buy the "guia del ocio" at any newstand. It helps if someone in your party speaks some Spanish. It has a (VERY) long list of pubs, bars, restaurants, discos, theaters, cinemas, etc.

Try going to the area inside the streets of Calvet, Madrazo, Santalo and Diagonal. It is full of restaurants ("No me quite pa" on Maria Cubi and "Los Inmortales" on Sagret are quite good), bars (Marcels on Santalo has the best Patatas bravas) and discos. You get there taking the FGC (not the Metro) from Plaza Catalunya to the Muntaner station. Most people in the area are locals, late 20's early 30's.

Ibiza is one of the most intense party places in the world. There's one disco (can't remember the name) that opens at 6am, and gets going until 10-12 pm!

Apr 26th, 2002, 09:23 AM
cooter

San Sebastian in the north is a much better base than Bilbao, but allows an easy day trip to Bilbao. Good food, good bars, beatiful scenery. Expensive, though. Close to Pamplona which you are already visiting.

Apr 26th, 2002, 02:00 PM
xxxxx

The European who are serious about partying, clubs, and nighlife in general go to Ibiza, Spain. Enough said. Hope you are OK with topless Nordic women all over the place.

Apr 26th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Lea

I agree with Jean about Barcelona. Barcelona has a mix of everything and is definitely fun and beautiful. Barcelona has great bars, cafes, restaurants and interesting people. The street performers are incredible and it is truly a walking city.
Ibiza is so overrated and not pretty at all. The party scene is for degenerates and the island offers nothing of class or beauty.
Ibiza is an overblown frat party with a bunch of wannabees. I grew out of Ibiza in my early twenties (I'm 31)and it gets very stale.
You will love Barcelona. By the way, Seville is also a great place with tons of pubs and cafes.

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Barry

Hi Frank -

Barcelona and Seville are definitely your two best choices!

Apr 28th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Vanessa

Bilbao, Barcelona, Madrid, Costa del Sol, & Seville should be on your list. Spain has so many beautiful and exciting cities full of rich culture and fantastic nightlife. You will have a truly wonderful time.

Apr 28th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Rob

I love Barcelona and Madrid for partying. Ibiza is another HOT spot.

Apr 30th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Frank

Thanks to everybody for the feedback! It is much appreciated.