Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Friends Reunion in Europe - with kids - location ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for suggestions:

A group of four couples with 9 children [most in the 3 - 5 age range, one infant, one 8 year old] are planning a reunion of sorts in Europe for Spring 2010. Husbands are old high school friends, so we all know each other very well and comfortably. One family is currently living in Germany, hence our decision to meet them in Europe. However our interests and travel ideals vary; i.e. - some like architecture and history, while others want simply to sit in the sun with a cool drink. Something along the Mediterranean sounds good to this writer, although I/we could easily settle elsewhere (Provence, Tuscany, etc.)

Preliminarily, our time frame looks like a 10 day trip, although this is subject to change, given timing and $$. We'd like to rent a villa, and will probably cook in for many meals. The "German" family will have a car; and we will likely rent one or two among the other 3 families.

Any thoughts on a good location to maximize our time, interests and needs to keep our kids occupied? A tall order........
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I would actually suggest Lago di Garda ahead of the Med or Tuscany. It would give the architecture and history buffs some chance to explore (Verona, Milan, etc.) as provide the kids with swans and bike rides and even Gardaland!

The family in Germany will have an easy drive down.

You'd have to do some research to pick just the right town with respect to charm, ameneties, outdoor activities and access to other tourism, but I suggest Bardolino for starters.

I suggest that you meet for a week and then let people split up. Some might want to go to Venice or Firenze.

The problem with the Italian mediterranean is that the most scenic parts really aren't great for kids (much too hilly) and the parts further south are really hot, and not well situated for tourism.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM

PS: Also on Garda it might be worthwhile to consider Peschiera del Garda or other towns on the southernmost shore with a train station for car-less, independent motion to tourist destinations away from the lakeside (like Verona), but which also offer boat service to the other towns on the lake.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zeppole! I'm just a beginner with Europe, so your detailed suggestions are very helpful!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I think zeppole's for your trip advice is perfect.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Check the school vacation dates for all of the areas that interest you (France has three different zones, for example.). If you are in Europe during a Spring school vacation, it can make an enormous amount of difference.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac - Ahhh. Yes, thank you! Zoecat - thanks for validating what sounded like great ideas from zeppole.