Reload this Page >

5 days at Lake Garda

Search

5 days at Lake Garda

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Joanna

5 days at Lake Garda

My husband, 7 year old son, and I will be staying in Desenzano for 5 days at the end of June. We will have a rental car and are interested in day trips which my son might find interesting. Places to hike/walk, villages with good gelato, playgrounds, cable cars into the mountains. Any suggestions about activities with children would be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:05 AM
liz

Be sure to visit Sirmione, which is an ancient village on a little island or peninsula which extends into the Lake. That is good for a day, walking around, lunch etc. We enjoyed the boat trip of the lake both in the morning and at sunset. The town of Salo is pleasant and we stayed there for several days. I must say I don't think this is a prime region for kids, much more romantic for couples, with extremely fine dining in some historic mansions around the lake, terrific scenery, etc. I don't know where Desenzano is...I think Sirmione has some hotels that might have family programs, ie. child care during the day so you could so some stuff on your own. We also lunched at a restaurant up the mountain near where they have skiing in winter, again, adults only type event with a 5 star menu. For sure he will love Sirmione because it is a story book village, but I think the area is rather limited.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:07 AM
liz

PS You can do a day trip from there to Verona and even Venice I understand, and of course Milan is not far away.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:27 AM
liz

PPS I went back and looked at the websites for Sirmione again and really think you should stay there. If you are staying in a hotel there you can drive through the pedestrian zone. There are two 4 stars with pools, it will be plenty hot in June and your boy will enjoy an afternoon swim. THis village is just so charming and gorgeous, it makes a much better base than Desenzano which is nothing special. Also all the boat trips etc. leave from Sirmione as well so you won't need the car every day. This village will really give your child the experience of feeling he was in Europe!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:30 AM
GAC

Don't forget Gardaland (for Kids), and D'Annunzio's Vittoriale in Gardone Riviera. I would take the car for a spin up the western shore to Riva, and then down the eastern shore to Peschiera del Garda, and back to Desenzano. I would also take a ferry to Riva and back. Sirmione and Salo' are certainly worth a visit.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Rex

Spent 7 days at Garda last september on the Fodorites' Italy 2001 trip, and could have filled 14. Not one inch of the perimater of the lake is to be missed (though we did not fit in all of it). Also recommend Trento, and la Rotonda (though maybe not so interesting to a 7 year old).<BR><BR>The Gardaland is a good suggestion, and I seem to recall there is a "theme dinner" restaurant near there - - like "Roman Times" or Medieval Times or something like that. Might have the problem of a "ringleader" addressing the address in Italian? All of Lake Garda is a very popular area with Italians. Comparable to a place like Kentucky Lake or the Finger Lakes. Far less an international crowd (though quite a few Germans) than Lake Como, by contrast.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:14 PM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Steve James

Hello Joanna,<BR><BR>Well, besides GARDALAND which GAC mentioned, you've got lots of options for renting a boat at various resorts around the lake, of course, and some resorts have beaches.<BR><BR>The nearest cable-car ride I can think of is up Monte Baldo at MALCESINE. On a clear day this should be a good area for hiking. If you want to go a little further afield into the DOLOMITES there are many places for chairlift rides. <BR><BR>Just north of Riva at the north end of the lake is the CASCATE DI VARONE, - a waterfall INSIDE the mountainside, - which is spectacular as well as fun. You can walk through rock tunnels at several levels to see the waterfall. Expect to get wet!<BR><BR>Riva is great for gelaterie, - but then most places are. <BR><BR>At Bolzano there is the famous ICE-MAN, and at nearby CALDARO there's a cog-railway up the mountainside. Lake Caldaro, too, is beautiful.<BR><BR>As Liz says, even Venice is doable as a day-trip. There are so many options, but it depends how far you want to drive. <BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 07:41 AM
sten

Is the road from Riva to Limone open?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Steve James

Sten - Have you heard that it's not?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:48 AM
chris

Last year at this time the road was closed because of huge construction. I, too, would love to know if it is open all the way down the west side of the lake now.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Donna

Last year the road from Limone to Riva was closed because there was a landslide. The road was supposed to open late July 2001--should be open now.<BR><BR>In my opinion, the northern end of Lake Garda is much more scenic than the southern end. There is a lot to do on the norhtern end if you are the active sort--windsurfing, canyoning, hiking ,tennis etc. The mountains head straight into the water--very pretty. The southern end is much flatter, and seemed more crowded to me. My kids did enjoy 'Aqua Paradise' which is a water park--not much different than the water parks in the US, except for the occasional topless women, which my 14 year old certainly enjoyed

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:21 AM
xxxx

tt

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
GAC

The scenic Gardesana road from Gardone to Riva was open last year in mid- July. They are making the road wider at points (it is very narrow with lots of tunnels), so there is some construction activity in places.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:14 PM
larry

You will enjoy Marostica, as will Sam.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:39 AM
KAM

Hi all, <BR><BR>Just topping by way of adding a thanks! I am spending 4 days on Garda, in the town of Garda (because it is easy to day trip from), and wanted you to know I love all these suggestions and keep them coming!<BR><BR>Steve-thanks in particular about the waterfall, I even have an Italian Lakes guidebook that doesn't mention that. <BR><BR>- Kristy

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Joanna

Thanks, everyone (especially you, Dad!), for your thoughtful suggestions. Has anybody been to the Parco Viva Naturale just east of Garda? I see it mentioned in the Lonely Planet book but nowhere else. We are planning a few days in Venice after Garda, as well, so will have this time just to explore the Veneto.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:34 PM
ttt

topping<BR>