Italian Lakes

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:19 AM
mike davies

Italian Lakes

I am off to the lakes in early April with my girlfriend. Any advice on Hotels, things to see and do, which lake. lake garda sounds good.

Mar 5th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Steve James

My choice would be Lake Garda, - and I would choose to stay in Riva del Garda at the north end. This is a lovely town and the scenery here is quite stunning, - more like a Norwegian fjiord! The Brenta Dolomites are within an hour's drive if you have a car, - and if not, you can get to Lake Molveno by bus, - well worth the trip.

Most of the towns/villages around the lake are worth a visit, - but especially Limone, Malcesine, Torri del Benaco and Sirmione. The beautiful cities of Verona and Trento are also within easy reach for a day-trip.

Steve

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Steve James

- cont.-

Other things to do/places to visit:-

Watersports (- though I guess April's a bit early!). Torbole is renowned for wind-surfing. Limone would be a good place to hire a boat....

From Malcesine there's a cable-car ride for fine views on a clear day.

North of Riva visit the Varone waterfall, - inside the mountain! Nearby Lake Tenno and Lake Ledro are attractive...

There are some beautiful walks from Riva.

Gardaland in the south...

Will you have a car?

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
StCirq

We liked Lago Maggiore by far the best. Garda didn't appeal much to us, though we admittedly saw only the southern parts of it. It may have been the car bomb that went off not far from us as we walked through Sirmione that has colored my impression. At any rate, we spent a week in Stresa on Lago Maggiore and loved it. We stayed in a fairly unspectacular but perfectly acceptable hotel called Italie et Suisse across from the boat landing, which was ideal because we could easily get out to visit the three islands on day trips and could cross the lake and visit other towns without driving.

Mar 5th, 2001, 11:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Mike, I have travelled the Lakes on many trips and there are 4 seperate destination to consider. Each has its own merits--it is hard to compare them.
I love the north end of Garda, but it still would be my #4 if I had to choose.
I will reserve judgement on the other 3 locations pending more info. Are you driving? How much time? First trip ? Is budget a factor? Where do you arrive and depart? Lots of factors !

May 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM
cmt

anything to add?
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Mia

ttt