friendly/unfriendly places

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 02:25 PM
a

friendly/unfriendly places

Is it multiple choice or essay?

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Sheila

I don't know, a. After all, what is life; why are we here? <BR> <BR>And did you mean Europe or this increasingly unpleasant Forum?

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 02:56 PM
confession time

This was an unsuccessful attempt to cut and paste in a thread on Fodor's grab bag topic board. It looked like a wholesome alternative to the kill/canonize our fellow board member threads, so I thought it would be nice to put it here. Didn't work, obviously.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Sheila

Great idea. I only posted after I'd spent 20 minutes searching for the thread you were trying to cut and paste. I had thought I'd seen it here, since this is the only forum I read. <BR> <BR>So, I'll kick off your question with a real answer... <BR> <BR>So far it would have to be Northern Spain, when I went on my own. people went out of their way to converse and be nice. It was great!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Al

Our vote has to be for Antwerp. We speak as much Flemish as we speak Swahili. People took us by the hand and led us to the places we asked about. Bus drivers would draw us little maps on scraps of paper showing us how to get to museums once we got off their buses. Hotel people would carefully coach us on how to pronounce the Flemish names. What a joy!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:25 PM
sandy

Scotland gets my vote for friendly. Nicest people I ever met.We went into a pub in Nairn to ask about a boat that was tied up nearby. It was just beautiful! Of course, there was a man there who know the guy who owned it. Insisted on calling him up so my husband could ask him about the boat. Even bought us a drink! <BR>That's just one example . . . <BR> <BR>For unfriendly, I'd have to say the security people at the Frankfurt airport. They scare me to death!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 07:11 PM
clairobscur

I vote for Portugal for the most friendly country

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:50 PM
nickie

Sandy, why do the security people in Frankfurt scare you - did something bad happen? We found them really friendly, just astonished that we would declare something coming into their country. They had to run and get a chart to tell us what to pay, and we all laughed about it. <BR>Anyway, to the original question - would have to say in my opinion Austria is the most friendly place I've been, and Yugoslavia the least friendly.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Holly

<BR>Nickie: When and where were you in Yugoslavia?

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 11:46 PM
Santa Chiara

Most friendly: No contest. Australia. They're more friendly than people in my native state, Texas. <BR> <BR>Least friendly place: Norway, at least to single women traveling alone. Downright hateful. Have traveled extensively and have never encountered such coldness and hostility anywhere else.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 02:05 AM
Fwhiteside

Friendliest ? Japan no contest ! <BR>Unfriendliest ? Sorry Francophiles but that's got to be France !

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Frank

Ireland, friendliest. <BR> <BR>England, least friendly.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Anne

Friendliest : Dutch & Spanish <BR> <BR>Least Friendly : Americans (very superficial)

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Angela

Friendliest - The French (perhaps not so friendly in the really big cities - as would be the case in most cities), But in the small towns and countryside they are great. Also agree that the Dutch are generally really friendly & the Irish and Scottish also. <BR> <BR>I have met a few unfriendly people but cannot generalise to an unfriendly place.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Jane

Isn't it funny how the friendliest to one person will be the unfriendliest to others, and vice versa. <BR> <BR>My parents went to Europe for the first time in their 70's. They came back raving about the Norwegians and how nice they were to them. And on things like this, my parents weren't easy graders. Santa Chiara had just the opposite impression. <BR> <BR>Personally, I can't point to any particular country as friendly or unfriendly. Just to particular encounters - I try not to generalize to a whole nation. (Kind of preachy - sorry).

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Shelley

Friendliest: Italians, Portuguese, Spanish <BR>Nastiest: Only individual encounters with creepy people -- most people take pity on tourists, even me, a native New Yorker

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:41 AM
elvira

It also depends on your definition of "friendly". I was born and raised in a notoriously "cold" part of the U.S. - New England. If your car gets stuck in a snowdrift, the farmer brings out his draw horse or tractor and pulls you out. The extent of his verbal interaction will be "stand over there is it in neutral? Ayuh". In another part of the country, you'll get lots of conversation and smiles, but no one stops to help. Which place is friendlier? <BR> <BR>I like this sort of question; it makes me examine my perceptions - in one country, everyone was talkative and willing to strike up conversations in local drinking establishments and eateries; in another, barely got two words out of anyone, but on more than one occasion, someone helped me get on the right train by actually leading me by the hand and putting my suitcase on the train. No big sendoff smiles are waves goodbye, but they got me on the right train. Hard to say which country was friendlier....

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:30 PM
nickie

Holly, I should have said the former Yugoslavia. Went to Ljubljana, Zagreb, Belgrade, Novisad, Polanka, Obrovac, Brcko, Sarejevo, and Banja Luka(my family has relatives over there). Our car was disabled, my brother had soup spilled on him twice, my mother was pushed into the street countless times - and those were the nicest things that happened.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Holly

Nickie: Oh. I don't think I would like that, either.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 03:22 AM
Bill

<BR>I really appreciated Elvira's analysis, 3 messages up. What IS "friendly"? There are some cultures in which people are more - for lack of a better word - "shy". But they are very willing to be helpful and can become very warm and friendly if the social situation gets them past the awkward step-one. I think this is what is going on with the totally opposite impression of Norwegians, mentioned above. I've never been to Norway, but it's a character trait I've seen in a number of merican of Norwegian ancestry. <BR>As to which type of person you'd rather run into in your travels - the naturally effusive type or the reserved but helpful type - well, that all depends on you and on your circumstances at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -