FrenchRestaurant Rating Book

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Toni

FrenchRestaurant Rating Book

Would anyone have information on the French Restaurant Rating Book that a few tourist had in Venice when we were there? It looked like, I think, a man holding the world on his back? Where does one purchase this book?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:10 PM
pam

Although I do not have my copy handy at the moment and so therefore cannot check the cover picture but you might be refering to the Zagat Guide's, These can be purchased online at amazon (and other places) and at any Border's.<BR>As I recall, the cover is some sort of maroon or red.<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:46 PM
ryan

Not sure which book it is, but it would not have been Zagat's. There is no picture as you described on the back cover.<BR><BR>That said, the Paris Zagat's is a great guide. The reviews are based on reader comments, not professional reviewers.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Betty

Toni,<BR>The image you are describing sounds like a "Guide du routard." Check this website to see if this is what you saw.<BR>http://www.freetravelguides.com/guideduroutard.html<BR>You will see on the lower part of this page a long list of Guides du routard, one of which is "Guide du routard hotels et restos France anglais" which can be ordered from Amazon.fr but you would probably pay more for the shipping than for the book itself. Amazon.com did not have it at present. You might try another online bookstore. As the title suggests it is not just for restaurants, but also for hotels. Happy hunting!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:42 PM
StCirq

Toni:<BR><BR>You're referring to the H&ocirc;tels et Restos de France: Le Guide du Routard. It is bright red and has a man who looks like a backpacker on the front cover carrying a knapsack that is a globe. It's a fabulous book, IMO! It's published by Hachette, and if you're headed to France, can easily be purchased in any French bookstore or Maison de la Presse. I THINK it's also published in English, but am not sure. A search on Amazon would probably confirm that.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:43 PM
StCirq

By the way, it's not only a restaurant guide, but a hotel guide, and one that I have used exensively for hotels/inns/B&Bs in the provinces and have rarely been disappointed.