Hotel choices in Dordogne - help please

Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:44 PM
Jane

Hotel choices in Dordogne - help please

Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Manoir de Hautegente in Coly, The Relais St Anne in Martel or Pont de l'Ouysee in Lacave. I'd like any personal experiences or recommendations from people who have stayed there. Thanking you in advance.Pont de l'Ouysee includes board, but it is expensive ($240 per night including half board) I was wondering whether it was worth it?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:32 PM
oliver

Hi jane,

I don't know these hotels but I suggest you "La Villa des Consuls" in Sarlat. THis is not an hotel but apartments with terraces in medieval buildings that you can rent for minimum 2 days. We stayed there last summer and it was really wonderful.
Their website : www.villaconsuls.com

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
topping

Does anyone have information to help Jane make a decision?

Apr 25th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Leslie

Jane, I stayed at hotel Pont de l'Ouysee early last May. I loved it - in fact I had an inquiry from a Foderite a couple of weeks ago and my e-mails kept getting returned. I asked my husband re: prices and he thought we had paid about $100. or 700FF for the room. We ate the least expensive of the three offered menus and it was about 180FF apiece (not including wine or water). This comes to approx. $160 - not the $240. you were quoted. Perhaps your menu was one of the more expensive ones and you are going in "high season"? At any rate, the room was nice, but not outstanding. But the setting was absolutely idyllic and the food was very good. The breakfast was also delicious. I'm usually let down by French breakfasts. but this was a treat. Though the weather was cool and dreary, the view from the dining rooms and lounge was through panoramic windows that brought in all the lush greenery. By the way, most of the diners were speaking French. When we left the area, we drove by the Relais St. Anne and it looked very nice. I would go back to Pont de l'Ouysee in a heart beat, but at the rate I paid.

Apr 25th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Jane

Thanks for your input Leslie.
During the summer (high season), I was told that we must take half board with the price of 138 euros per person. I don't think it depends on your menu choices, that was the price.
Did you find that it was a convenient location? We were going to use it as a base to explore the surrounding area (Martel, Collenge, Padirac and Rocamadoor).
Also, the Rivage book, "Charming Hotels in France" states that there may be a problem with noise from people who are lingering over dinner on the terrace. I guess the bedrooms overlook the terrace where the meals are served in the summer.
Was this a problem or did you visit there in cooler weather when meals were served inside?
Do you think it is worth 276 Euros for 1/2 board?

Apr 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Leslie

Jane, the bedrooms did overlook the terrace and it's possible that you could be disturbed by the noise - one party of 4 or 6 was dining indoors downstairs and didn't leave until almost midnight. Since it was cool, we had our windows shut (& the heat on) and the noise didn't bother us. As far as the cost, it's hard to say - it's really a personal decision. I wish I had seen the inside of St. Anne in Martel, because that was the only alternative we found in that area. I suppose you have to figure what you would be willing to spend for a hotel and some good meals elsewhere and decide if you can do better. It's hard to put a price on that setting - it was so lovely. I think the best overall value we found in the Dordogne was the Esplanade, in Dome. Great food, great views from the right rooms. Very reasonable prices. Probably more touristy, but we always travel in late Sept./Oct. or May. But it was in a whole different area.

Apr 26th, 2002, 01:04 PM
oforparis

Jane,
I stayed at the Manoir de Hautegente in 1997 or 1998 and found it delightful. If my memory serves correctly, it was peaceful, the rooms were fairly large, the fabrics were beautiful, the bathrooms were marble, the bathtub huge.
The staff was quite pleasant and there was a great resident dog.
We had dinner there (there is not much else around) and I don't remember the food but I do remember the candle caught the flowers on our table on fire!

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Pat

Jane,

I recommend Hautegente highly. My husband and I stayed there last year and it was fabulous. It is a little out of the way but close to Lascoix (sp?). The manor is very elegant, only outdone by the hosts. The food was fantastic, if you're lucky and the weather is glorious, they will move all the tables outside to eat "creekside". The breakfast was very elegant. The room gigantic and very comfortable. I think about it often. We also stayed at Moulin D'Abbaye, and L'Esplanade. Both were very good. We long to return though to Manoir de Hautegente because it was an experience, not just a place to spend the night. The half board price was a bargain. I recommend it highly. I also brought home accustom made duvet from the neighboring town, a delightful place. It has an outdoors pool that the other guests seemed to really enjoy - (we brought no bathing suits to France). The grounds are quite beautiful, where you can sit and relax and enjoy a Kir Royale while you peruse the menu. Two nights seems adequate for the area. They will gladly make reservations for your visits to the Grottes if you like. Hope this is what you were looking for re: information.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:03 PM
StCirq

You are obviously looking to visit sites in the far eastern Dordogne and Quercy, and if that's the case, I'd say the Hautegente is certainly a desirable property. I don't know the other two hotels you mention, but I can vouch for the Hautegente, where I've strolled the grounds, looked at rooms, and eaten a well-remembered meal.
Someone mentioned getting reservations to the grottes, so I'll offer that if your intention is to use this as a base for visiting the prehistoric sites in the Dordogne and Vézère valleys, it's a bit out of the way, but it seems you've already done your homework - for visiting Collonges-la-Rouge, Martel, Gouffre de Padirac, and Rocamadour, it's an excellent choice.