Reload this Page >

French pronunciation: Place des Vosges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I alway READ it and SEE it, but I've never heard it SAID. So to SAY it, it's "Ploss-dai __________"? Thanks for your help! (Please, don't work too hard on the finer points of "Ploss-dai", okay?)

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Wayne

the last word should be pronounced "Vozh" where the zh sounds like the s in leisure.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Thanks, Wayne! (It was not knowing the "g" part that was getting me)!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Eye Spy

Jim, it's a long "o" -- like the "o" in "toe." VOE-ZH. Wayne was right. There's a circonflex above the 'o' so whenever you see that accent above an 'o', the 'o' is always long.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Christina

I don't know the origin of that word, but it has kept its old spelling and in modern spelling would be "Vôge" which you would probably know how to pronounce. You do see it spelled with a circonflex rather with the original "s" in some geographic matters in its region around Alsace. You probably know a circonflex represents a lost "s"; a "g" is always pronounced that way before an "e". I don't think there is a circonflex with there is an "s", it's one or the other.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Bill

Circonflex? I don't think there's any corconflex in Vosges.<BR><BR>I agere with the pronunciation, but not the circonflex.<BR><BR>Rhymes with loge.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:59 PM
kalena

Christina suggests that voge has a circomflex. <BR>Q; what happened to my earlier post in french? We have to allow for a little leeway when it comes to good fun.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:10 AM
xxx

Christina rocks.<BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:15 AM
jules

Christina added that &quot;it's one or the other&quot;, an 's' OR a circonflex.<BR>Vosges or V&ocirc;ges<BR>but the latter is hardly used.<BR>That is how f.ex. &quot;vostre&quot; became &quot;v&ocirc;tre&quot;, hostel h&ocirc;tel, hospital h&ocirc;pital, etc..

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 05:47 AM
Ira

I am wondering: is that little hat above the 'o' a circonflex or a carat?<BR>I thought that a circonflex was a squiggly thing under a letter (usually c).

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
xxx

No onr has included the pronunciation of the &quot;Place de&quot; as well for novices. I'd do it, but not very good at phonetics.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Martine

Ira,<BR>The accent circonflexe is the little hat.It has nothing to do with the pronounciation of the vocal, but in fact it is an apostrophe you have to write on a vocal when the letter s is left out of the word (f.i.ethymologicly).<BR>example: &ecirc;tre (= to be) comes from the Latin word esse (the s is gone in the French word). <BR> Il est (with s), but vous &ecirc;tes (without s) <BR> frais (fresh)--&gt; fra&icirc;che<BR><BR>And the little sign you have under the letter e is a &quot;c&eacute;dille&quot;. You write it when the c is pronounced as an s and when it precedes an &quot;a&quot;, &quot;o&quot; or &quot;u&quot;, like in fran&ccedil;ais, gar&ccedil;on, re&ccedil;u.<BR><BR>You pronounce Vosges &quot;Vau&quot;je (with the French &quot;je&quot; and without the English &quot;w&quot; sound at the end of Vau)<BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:39 AM
tracy

hi . . . try:<BR><BR>plahss day VOHzh<BR><BR>hth! = )

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering how to pronounce Vosges and just ran a quick search. This gave me my answer and was an amusing read - deserving of a second round.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM

When I went to school it was spelt &quot;circumflex&quot;, but maybe something's changed. Jim, I think &quot;place&quot; should be pronounced more like &quot;plahss&quot; than &quot;ploss&quot; but I'm open to correction there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:39 AM

circonflex is the French spelling.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM

..as to the etiology of the name...it was the Place Royale..post revolution the &quot;county&quot; (departement) which was the first to pay its taxes was the Vosges and hence the name...or so ive been told..