French Music CDs in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone make recommendations for French music CDs that I can buy in Paris? Whenever I step into an environment with French music playing in the background I am instantly transported into a tranquil and more pleasurable state of mind. There is an innocent, transcendental quality to it that enthralls me. Despite the language barrier the music never ceases to move me. The formula that really gets to me is solo French vocals accompanied by a single instrument, usually the accordion or guitar, and a good deal of whispering and breathing in between The light, gentle musical arrangements can be so soothing and hypnotic. I am not sure of the name of the genre that my preference would fall into, but I think it’s towards the classical, romantic end of the French music spectrum. Is it "chanson"?

I would really like to develop a knowledgeable interest in this genre, and eventually acquire a good collection of its music. However, I am lacking knowledge of its fundamentals, in terms of its most influential artists/albums/songs. Hopefully this thread will serve as my “crash course” to French music; where I can get to know the “essentials” or “must-haves” of my genre of interest, as well as info on lesser known artists who make beautiful music nonetheless.

I’ve read that Virgin and FNAC are two good music stores in Paris. I am familiar with the Virgin deal, but I don’t know much about FNAC. How does it compare with Virgin? Where am I better off buying French music in Paris (not limited to these two stores)? Does the FNAC store have English-speaking staff?

Thanks to all.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM

Ok, though this one is not French but Belgian, he sings in French, and he has made some of the most beautiful chansons ever: Jacques Brel.
I think you should be able to find plenty of 'best of' compilations as well. And I think the staff at any music store will be willing to help you as well. If you don't know any French, try this phrase: 'Pouvez-vous me recommender quelques CD's avec des chansons françaises, s'il-vous-plait?'
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Most of the staff at FNAC are young and speak some English. There's an information desk -- at least at the one by St. Lazare station, if I remember, and there are floors and floors of merchandise. It's more, to me anyway, like the Best Buy of France, and they have a remarkable selection of CDs and DVDs.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM

I don't think there is a specific name for the kind of music you like (perhaps some chanson, but not exclusively) -- a lot depends on the performer, their particular style, and what is popular comes and gos. However, in France what you are looking for will be in the music CD stores in the section labeled "Varietes - Francaises". This will be distinct from the real global pop/rock etc stuff (and probably won't be in the world music section, either -- it is a distinct section labeled that way in these stores).

I like both FNAC and Virgin, they are both fine and have very large selections and various sales so you can get good prices on some discs. They also have listening stations for the more recent things so you can use that to try things out. The main distinction in the stores is the FNAC is larger and has a lot more other kind of merchandise than Virgin, and also has a much larger book section, it seems to me. For music CDs, either will do.

The accordion will be in older things, mainly, I don't think you hear that in more current music. Just as a starter, some singers I like are Keren Ann (her discs in French, she has a recent one that is mostly English, I think) which would probably suit you. You might also like a recent 2002 disc by Carla Bruni which is pretty good and in French--Quelqu'un M'a Dit. That one is hard to find outside France, at least cheaply.

For males, I always like Francis Cabrel and Renaud, and Maxime le Forestier.They aren't older singers singing traditional French torch songs or anything (like Edith Piaf), although they all have been around a good while now (I'm dating myself, they are from my youth when I started listing to music so started late 60s/70s). I don't know if they'd be like what you want or not.

For older stuff, I like Barbara and Mouloudji, which is probably the kind of songs you are thinking of. I also like some Juliette Greco, and Jeanne Moreau actually had a couple albums that weren't bad (the actress).

I find some of the more wellknown French traditional singers more hit and miss for me (like Aznavour); I don't like Piaf that well, nor Brassens or Jacques Brel, although you might. Patricia Kass is a wellknown more contemporary French singer but isn't like what you are seeking IMO (she is more easy listening, too much so for my taste).

I think you'd like Keren Ann, she is definitely tranquil and whispery, and some of her earlier discs were not released outside Europe, so Paris is a good place to buy them (eg, "la biographie de Luka Philipsen&quot.

Some FNAC clerks speak English quite well. They don't tend to have clerks right on the sales floor helping people (they are in customer service stands), so I'm not sure you'd get real customized help with what you are seeking, but you can always ask.

As long as you are buying discs published by major labels, I think those are the best places to buy as they'll probably have the best selections and prices.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM

When it comes to whispery, Jane Birkin takes the <i>gateau</i>. She's actually British, not French, but has lived in France for most of her adult life and sings in French (and mostly songs written by her late paramour Serge Gainsbourg). Her kitschy stuff from the 70s are almost novelty pieces; some are so bad that they're funny. She has a new CD, however, <i> Arabesque</i>, that is just fabulous. She' s singing the same old songs but with a new band--they're mostly Algerian and they play some North African instruments and enahance the songs with North African rythyms and vocals. You can buy this CD in the states, though.

Another breathy French band that you can buy in the U.S. is Air. Keren Ann is a good choice too, but again, her current CD is readily available in the States (I think she may live in New York now). Another bi-continental band that I like are Les Nubians (afro-influenced music sung in French). If you like hip hop, check out M.C. Solaar. You can buy some of his CDs in the States, but the selection is not as great.

I love the FNAC near the Bastille. If you or anyone you know likes jazz, they have a private label jazz series called &quot;Jazz in Paris&quot; featuring a wide range of musicians who have had a creative relationship with the city--e.g., Miles Davis, Donald Byrd, Stephane Grappelli. They are nicely packaged with moody photographs of Paris scenes on the cover and very reasonably prices (about 6 euros or so).

Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:58 PM

There are a ton of compilation CDs of French &quot;cafe songs&quot;. On my last trip, I picked up one called &quot;Cafe de Paris&quot;, a 3 CD compilation with about 60 songs. I had a hard time picking just one.

You might also want to pick up an American compilation called &quot;A Bachelor in Paris&quot; from Capitol Record's Ultralounge series. It has 18 pop standards with a French/Parisian theme.

And, of course, you could get the soundtrack to &quot;Amelie&quot;.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Buy the series, Les Enfoires, not available here. It's a yearly concert by all the top French singers who tour to raise money for &quot;the restaurant of the heart where they feed the poor.
Everyone from Johnny Haliday to Patricia, Kaas, Axele Red to Patrick Buel.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM

http://groups.msn.com/coluche/lesenfoirs.msnw
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM

Try Carla Bruni's &quot;Quelqu'un Ma Dit&quot; - yes THAT Carla Bruni.
You heard it here first: &quot;Supermodel makes more than decent album shock!&quot;

Sold a million copies plus in France on release in 2003; and it is easy to hear why - lightly jazzy guitar, breathy vocals, sexy and sophisticated, simultaneously innocent and knowing and none of it forced.

Should be easily available in the States or in any FNAC or disqueterie in Paris or elsewhere in France.

Buy this record!

Dr D
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:02 PM

Sorry, that should be Bruel, here's an example of one year's concert

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/al...LBUMID=1341867
Dr D. I have that cd.
It was a huge hit in Paris when it came out.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:03 PM

Although she doesn't fit your absolute mold, just thought I'd put in a vote for one of my favorite French Canadian singers - Natasha St-Pier.

If you google, you will find many of her songs online.
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM

why don't you click on Fnac website and listen to musical extracts. try Vincent Delerme, Bejamin Biolay, Raphael, Etienne Daho new album, Yann Tiersen etc... I think you may like those ones
when you click on &quot;vari&eacute;t&eacute;s fran&ccedil;aises&quot; you'll have a good look to all french singers.
enjoy!
if it works (very long one) try this link :
ttp://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=1530459&amp;OrderInSession=1&amp; Mn=3&amp;SID=d0228623-f727-118b-65c4-bfec5ebfe21a&amp;TTL=250520051027&amp;Origin=fnac_ google_home&amp;Ra=-28&amp;To=0&amp;Nu=2&amp;UID=060d53f50-2835-0306-8c3d-31124daf2f6e&amp;Fr=0
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:31 AM

oups! I missed the first h of http but you can start from www.