French Lessons?

Dec 12th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Danna

French Lessons?

I'm planning to visit France in 2006. Any suggestions for a taped "French for Travelers" or somesuch lessons that you would recommend. Or just general suggestions for a non French speaking visitor. I've figured out the basic greetings, but not much beyond that. Also info on the Champagne district appreciated. I've been cut and pasting all of your messages. Thanks again!

Dec 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
xxx

2006? With that much time, you can enroll yourself in a four year college and get a BA in French!

Dec 12th, 2002, 07:06 PM
x

lol.

Dec 12th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Frenchman

Danna,
Though the most recent post was mean. The poster had a point. Enroll in a local Community College and take french lessons there. Save on the cost of all the french language books and tapes. Learn the language from true instructors.

Also, unless it is truly important to you [to learn french]. You'll find that, you can get by with the basics (Bon jour! Au Revoir!). The French are very forgiving of individuals who at least try to speak thier language. Just always remember your "hello" and "thank you".

Dec 12th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Quinty

I am using several methods, but one I like is the CD-Rom "Learn to Speak French" by The Learning Company. It's very interactive and you practice speaking into a microphone and it will guage your accent (it tries to). Also, I like to pair that with something in print, and I like the book "French in 10 Minutes a Day". That way you can learn by writing some of it. I learn best with complementing methods.
I spend about 2 hours a day on it (started 3 weeks ago) and already know around 200 words. The hardest part is saying them. I know that sounds funny, but I can put the sentences/thoughts together in my head, but making those words/accents come out of my mouth at a decent speed is hard (think tongue twisters). It's all a matter of practice.
Good luck!

Dec 12th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Ronda

Quinty, if you have trouble with pronounciation, you will like the Pimsleur Method. Really great speaking practice I believe. I am 1/2 way through set No. II. There are 3 in all with 30 lessons. In San Jose they now have them at the library. I purchased mine on e-bay.

Dec 12th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Quinty

Thanks Ronda - those French R's are a killer! Seems like our English speaking mouths just aren't meant for them! I can get them out okay, but I think the faces that I make trying to do so must be pretty scary!

Dec 14th, 2002, 02:19 PM
janie

I just posted this on the other language thread, but for speaking, I recommend French With Michel Thomas CDs -- get the set of 8. For comprehension of spoken French, I liked the French on the Go audio cassettes, a set of 2.

Dec 14th, 2002, 02:26 PM
StCirq

If you have cable tv, you might be able to get France 2 news nightly. Here in the DC area it's on at 7 pm on channel 24. I find it's a great way to improve my vocabulary and listen daily to people speaking the language. There is a certain amount of language, IMO, that you can pick up through "osmosis," if you make a point to expose yourself to it daily. You also have the added benefit of keeping abreast of political and cultural events in France.

Dec 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Danna

Thank you for your advice... for the xxx and x I'm able to do this in my spare time, but no, I have no options for college choices and I asked for much less pricey $/&/time option suggestions. I plan on being as polite as possible. Frenchman, thanks for your comfortable advice. Good manners have always done me well in English, Anishinabeg, Dansk or other languages I've encountered. Quinty, Rhonda & Janie. thanks, I do have time to check out a cd while I'm driving, cooking, or hanging out. St. Cirque, I have cable but not France 2 even though I can get Canadian Broadcasting. I appreciate the advice about interactive and sound based recommendations. Many thanks! I'm cut and pasting all your thoughts. Many thanks

Dec 14th, 2002, 05:55 PM
xxx

Are tapes/CD cheaper than the college?
The 3 set Pimsleur CD = $750 retail. 3 term night French credit classes at our local community college is $230/term * 3 = $690. The community college class teaches so much more than even the Pimsleur tapes/CD.

Dec 14th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Sue

I know quite a bit of French grammar from high school many years ago, but have been taking lessons recently at Alliance Francaise to try to learn conversational French.Also, the Pimsleur tapes are absolutely terrific for sentence structuring and practicing the French accent. I try to work with these tapes an hour or two a day - driving, walking the dogs, etc.- very easy to do, and the constant repetition (and speaking out loud) does wonders. Well worth the money! (Expensive, though). Take a look at www.pimsleur.com
to get a idea and listen to some of the lessons.

Dec 29th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Ronda

xxx, I purchased my first set of Pimsleur CD's on E-Bay and paid around $125 for them. Now that the San Jose library has them, I check them out for FREE. I also have checked out the French in Action videos and tapes from the library and purchased the companion books and workbooks on E-Bay. We get the French in Action programs on our educational station here in the SF Bay Area.

Dec 30th, 2002, 12:58 AM
alain

Dear danna,
I am a real beginer in French also,I have some good books foe study French grammar ,i will sent to you if you like!

Dec 30th, 2002, 12:59 AM
alain

Dear danna,
I am a real beginer in French also,I have some good books for study French grammar ,i will sent to you if you like!