Hotels in Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna

Oct 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
bill

Hotels in Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna

We are planning a trip to Austria next year and would appreciate hearing your comments (good and bad) about hotels in Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna.

Oct 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Rex

I recommend the Hotel Heiligkreuz, which is in nearby Hall in Tirol. Website and other details on previous postings here - - search "Heiligkreuz".

And a strong thumbs up for the Goldenen ente in Salzburg.

I have not been to Vienna yet.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 6th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Ira

Hi Bill,
You haven't told us about your tastes, needs, interests, etc.

However, I stayed at the Kaerntnerhof and liked it.
http://www.tourist-net.co.at/hotel/k...erhof/kh1e.htm

Oct 6th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Bob Brown

I like the Carlton Opera in Vienna.
It is reasonably priced, air conditioned, great breakfast, and located just outside of the ring.
Inside or on the ring usually means higher prices.
In Salzburg, the Golden Duck (Zur goldenen Ente) is ok. It is a small place with a very good restaurant, and a first class breakfast as well included in the room rate.
The drawback is that the rooms are fairly small, and the building is not airconditioned. It can get warm in the summer, I might add.
On the other hand, the hotel is right in the heart of old town, on Goldgasse, within walking distance of many attractions.
As for Innsbruck, I have no clue.
Although I was there last year, we stayed in an apartment a few miles away and went there on a day trip.

Other than the hotels in downtown Salzburg, last year we stayed at the Sallerhof in the suburb of Grödig and drove into town.

Oct 6th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Patrick

Perhaps my very favorite hotel in all of Europe is in Vienna -- the wonderful small Konig von Ungarn. But you must book well ahead and directly with them as they pay no commissions to anyone and are always full.

Oct 6th, 2002, 08:31 PM
ttt

up

Oct 6th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Jan

WE were in Innsbruck two nights ago and stayed at the Weisses Kreuz. Great location in the Altstadt with good service and a reasonable breakfast. Our room was small...it was a standard but I understand that the upgrade to superior is worthwhile. Not much charm in the room but the hotel overall was great...a bargain at $92 for a family of 4. Innsbruck itself was a nice surprise, very charming city.

In Vienna, we stayed at the ANA Grand Hotel. 5 star with a 5 star price. Rooms and lobby beautiful, concierge awful, sending us to a mediocre restaurant and then, husband ended up the evening with food poisoning. Maybe it is not fair to blame the Concierge, but we asked for recs on an excellent restaurant suitable for a 10th anniversary and he sent us to an extremely marginal one + he had attitude.

In Salzburg, our hotel was a 10 minute walk to the Altstadt. I don't remember the name but it was not memorable for either positive or negative. I recommend staying in the Altstadt if at all possible. We will be going back...we loved the city.

Ok...enjoy your trip...Austria is beautiful!
Jan

Oct 11th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Julie

We were recently in Salzburg and stayed at the Sacher Hotel and in Innsbruck at the Europa Tyrol. Both cities have their positive auras. In Salzburg, we loved the Hohensalzaburg and Gedeidestrasse. Both are very adventurous. Please feel free to take the mountain trips up including Hungerburg in Innsbruck, which we enjoyed

Oct 18th, 2002, 11:17 AM
John

Salzburg: Blaue Gans is in a great location on Getreidegasse. The Karajan rooms (larger sized, with couch and sitting area) are nice (129-159 Euro/nt for double). Cheaper, but nice, is the Am Dom--ask for the larger rooms. Around 95 Euro for double, great location on Goldgasse just up from Zur goldene Ente and next to Mozartplatz in Altstadt.

Vienna--stayed at the Kartnerhof and it was awful when we were there (June 2000)--across from a loud disco, unfriendly manager (and I rarely get cranked at hotel personnel) and a relatively unclean room with a weird bathroom. Try the Post--it looked much nicer and was inexpensive.

No Innsbruck experience, sorry.

Oct 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM
BillJ

Hi Bill. In Vienna, I would enthusiastically recommend Konig von Ungarn. A classy hotel, nicely priced, just right around the corner from Stephensdom Square, and the main shopping streets. Easy walk to Hofburg and all the restaurants and cafe's you could want. Herr Eisenstein, who seems always to be there, is a particularly friendly and helpful hotel manager. Our room had lots of room, with a nice bathroom and large shower over tub. Also an inroom safe. The breakfasts were very good, with all sorts of breads and pastries, and eggs to order. I made arrangements by email, then sent my credit card info by fax. I confirmed the reservation by email about a month before my departure from US.
In Salzburg, we stayed at Goldener Hirsch. It is right on Gedeidestrasse, one of the neatest little shopping streets we've been on. It is a splurge, but we felt well worth it. The breakfast is not included, and expensive. But we just walked to the nearby famous Cafe Tomaselli for an excellent baked omelet and watched the sun come up over Alt Markt. The Goldener Hirsch is a member of the Starwood "Luxury" system, and have an 800 number for reservations purposes.
The location of both hotels is outstanding. Have fun!

Oct 18th, 2002, 05:39 PM
lizbeth

Bill,
I stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth in Vienna and absolutely loved it. The rooms were pretty in a traditional way but not fussy. Bathrooms were big and comfortable, excellent housekeeping was evident everywhere. Overall atmosphere is kind of sedate but I liked that - I mean, I'm not an 18-year old backpacker anymore! The breakfast buffet was so generous that I didn't feel hungry until way after noon time.
The Kaiserin Elisabeth is just a couple of blocks from the Konig von Ungarn mentioned in posts above. Both these hotels are smack in the center of the Old City, right around the corner from St. Stephen's Cathedral and very close to a major U-bahn stop. The neighborhood feels very safe at night due to all the restaurants and cafes open late.

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:06 AM
BTilke

I've stayed at both the Kaiserin Elisabeth and the ANA Grand and enjoyed both of them, although they are in different categories--the KE being less expensive than the ANA Grand, which is one of Vienna's luxury hotels. Jan, I'm sorry the concierge was so unhelpful. During the week I spent there, the concierge staff were very friendly and helpful, making reservations for us at Steiermark, Novellie's, and zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer (white chimney sweep). They gave us very detailed directions on how to get to the Steiermark from the subway. What was the crappy restaurant you were sent to?
BTilke (Brussels)

Oct 19th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Dick Yeager

bill,

Last May, my wife and I stayed at the Hotel Goldener Adler in Innsbruk. Great location right at the start of Old Town. It is also across the street from the large Inn River.

The hotel features an excellent restaurant. It is probably the oldest hotel in Innsbruk. The hotel has a very "unique" elevator.

It is now associated with Best Western. A very nice hotel...recommended.

Dick

Nov 6th, 2002, 12:38 PM
bill

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Nov 6th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Anne

Bill, just returned from Austria. We stayed at the Villa Auersperg in Salzburg. Very nice and clean, big room, BUT... we had a problem with the phone (we had a critical need to call home) and the front desk offered no help at all, and (my fault here for forgetting my money belt in the room), I had about 100E stolen from the room. Note that the villa doesn't have an elevator, but the hotel does (they are next door to each other). Very pretty place...I'm not sure if I'd stay there again, but it was a great location and I think we were just unlucky (and stupid for leaving money when we went out to dinner!). 99E/night for twin, including a very nice breakfast buffet.

In Vienna, I highly recommend Pension Pertschy. 120/night for the nicest room we had in Europe. 4 star, VERY close to the Palace and St. Stephens, huge room, big breakfast buffet, internet access in the lobby, the most helpful staff we found.

Hope this helps!!

Anne

Nov 6th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Corinna

I can highly recommend the Hotel Jedermann in Salzburg - we stay there at every visit.
http://www.hotel-jedermann.com/hotel/index.htm
It is in walking distance (8-10 Min) of the Old Town, very reasonable prized and absolutely adorable.
Free Internet access and a wonderful breakfast room/buffet are extra goodies.
The young couple who owns/runs the Jedermann speak English as well.
If you can, try to catch a concert at the Hohensalzburg Castle - an unforgettable experience!
Dinner at the Stadtkrug on the roof terrace (Linzergasse)(after a walk up the hill to see Salzburg at your feet) is also to be highly recommended.
Try to purchase a "Salzburg Card" (24/48 hrs)it will gain you free admissions into virtually all attractions plus free transportation within the city.
Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities in the world - so enjoy!

Nov 6th, 2002, 04:43 PM
jeff

Hi Bill,

I stayed at some great hotels in Austria. In Innsbruck, I stayed at the Best Western and loved it. The Best Western's in Europe are nothing like the ones in the United States. It was a short walk to the Maria Theresia Strasse. In Salzburgh, I stayed at the Auersperg Hotel. It was right by the old city and a short walk to all the sights. The breakfasts were wonderful. In Vienna, my favorite hotel is the Hotel Regina. It is where Sigmund Freud had coffee every morning and is very close to a beautiful church which I believe is called the Votiv Kirk.

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Kimberly

Last year in Vienna we stayed at the Bristol Hotel and loved it. It was very romantic, but a little pricey (approx $250/night). We probably could have paid a lot less if we had booked ahead; however, we literally walked in off of the street to book the room. We had a reservation at the Altstadt Hotel and stayed one night and checked out. It was was very plain and we wanted more luxury for our last big trip before a baby.

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Claudia

We just got back from the Czech Republic, Salzburg, and Budapest. I can recommend the Sallerhof in Grodig (just outside of Salzburg, if you have a car. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Be sure to catch a concert at the Hohensalzburg fortress, if you can. We also enjoyed the hikes from the top of the Untersberg mountain, near Grodig.

Nov 7th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Linda

In Vienna, I enjoyed the Hotelpension Arenberg--4*, Best Western but with posh Vienna feel. It is within the Ring, close to the Air Terminal, U-Bahn stop and about a 4-5 minute walk to Stephensplatz. They have homemade muslei. A nice 3* is Hotel Drei Kronen, just outside the Ring, near an U-Bahn stop, about 8 minute walk to the Opera House. It is near the University so visiting professors stay there and a nice outdoor market is across the street and a small grocery store down the street. The buffet breakfast is very good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO