Freelancing the islands

Search

Freelancing the islands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freelancing the islands

We are planning to go to the Greek Islands, arriving in Mykanos on June 6 and leaving Santorini on June 30. Our plan is to book 5 nights in Mykanos but leave everything else open, relying on ferries and rooms to be available when we decide to move. We are looking at Andros, Naxos, Syros, and Milos as other possible destinations.
Will we have trouble finding places to stay or getting ferry service during this time?
We have been to the Islands before in '87 and '00 and it seemed there were always people meeting the bus into town hawking rooms. We also got ferries easily, but that was a little earlier in the season.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM

No problem with rooms or ferries during June. Island capacity is geared to the high season of July and August, so outside those months there are plenty of vacancies.

Every island has ticket agents, and it is possible to buy your ferry tickets right up until shortly before departure. That is my favorite way to island hop. You can stay on each island as long as you like, then move on.

There are still people waiting at the ports soliciting their rooms, and prices are much lower than if you book in advance. You can also call a day or two ahead to book your room when you decide where to go next. If you have done some research, and have a list of hotel telephone numbers with you, it is easy to secure a room that way.

Connections to Milos from the other islands you mention will be your biggest challenge, but not impossible. Check the ferry websites in the spring, or just play it by ear when you get to Greece
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall! Booked our tickets to Athens. Have you ever taken a room with a person waiting at the port? Might be a nice way to get to know some locals.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Just be sure you don't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere if you take a room from a local at the port. Have a general location in mind if possible and don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for knowing where the room is located. Take a map of the island with you for reference and have them point to the room location:

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM

When I am island hopping the way you describe (freelancing), that's how I normally get my room. As brotherleelove said, though, be sure you know the location before you agree to take the room. Also, if you are looking for something up-market, you won't find it at the port.

There are several advantages to getting your room when you arrive on the island rather than making advance reservations:

1. Prices are lower, often about half what you would have paid had you booked in advance.

2. You get a free ride from the port to the room. Sometimes you can even get a free ride back to the port when you leave, as the hotel owner is probably going there anyway (to meet the incoming ferry).

3. You haven't committed yourself to staying for a fixed period. If you don't like the room or location, you can stay one night, then find something better. You don't even have to accept the room once you've seen it, but you won't be driven back to the port when you refuse.

4. You have more flexibility. If you love the island, you can stay a little longer before moving on - if you don't, you can get on the next ferry.

There are some variations to this strategy: do some research before-hand, make a list of hotels that look attractive, then call ahead the day before you arrive. The best deal I got last June was when I called a hotel on Naxos where I had stayed before while waiting for the ferry to depart Paros. An hour later, when I landed on Naxos, the hotel van was waiting for me, and I got the room for €20/night. They even gave me a free ride to the airport when I left four days later.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM

If you follow the owner to the house in town or elsewhere, watch where you are going, especially when itīs dark, because if the room doesnīt suit you, the owner will not bring you back to the harbour.
G.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM

If you had no problem getting on a ferry earlier in the season, then why should you have a problem in June. Well maybe you must have a cabin or something (surely not) but as a foot pax - hey just walk on.

And it's a much better way to go than booking everything in advance.

Shame more people don't have the balls to busk it.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very practical advice. We will definitely go with ideas of where we want to stay and some possible hotels if needed. I've ordered Thomas Cook's Greek Island Hopping and Loney Planet Greek Islands (whose newest edition won't be out until April!). I am currently reading Fodors and back posts here. Are there any better books out there?
We decided to book only to Athens and back and take more time to decide on what island to start and end at. Have read here to take a day to get over jet lag in Athens and have at least a day there before catching a flight home.
Any must sees outside of the islands we've listed? We did visit Santorini for three nights (loved it)and have been to Rhodes and Crete on a previous trip. Is there enough to keep us occupied in the Cyclades for 3 1/2 weeks? We love history, like to explore in the mornings and relax at the beach in the afternoon. Are there any islands we should plan to have a car rental or can we get around on the buses. Can you rent a moped or small motorcyle without a motorcycle license? Are they easy to find?
Afterall- My husband did the first post and he misspoke, last time we were there was in late July. Our last trip was on a sailboat for a week and the weather stranded us in Syros. We caught a ferry to Mykonos and right on to Delos. Because of the time it took, we didn't get to stay too long before heading back. (we plan to go to Delos again) That was the extent of our ferry experience. We have done a few no reservation trips (Germany, Scandanavia, Ireland). The flexibility is great but it is more work!