Free Wi-Fi Sites - Keeping Data Secure

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Free Wi-Fi Sites - Keeping Data Secure

I will be carrying an iPad mini & Android phone (data roaming turned off). What steps should I take to make sure my phone & ipad data is secure while in places with free wi-fi?

My European SIM card with data is too expensive for regular use.

I recently read that having a saved password for social media sites is bad. Right? I had thought the opposite would be true because you're not typing in any passwords.

I won't use my bank app unless I use the data plan from my SIM.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:43 AM

If you save the password and your ipad is stolen anyone can post to your account. Very bad. At home I save many passwords (but never banking passwords) but never save any passwords for the notebook I use when traveling.

Don't you have anti virus and firewall loaded on your ipad? If not then you should. Firefox checks downloads for security. I doubt you will need more than this.

Can't help with phone.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM

You can set your passwords so that when you type them you only see ******* on the screen. I thought all passwords automatically defaulted to "hidden."
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Right, I never save passwords even on a home machine. Anyone who has the system can then access your accounts.

Firefox defaults to saving passwords which I always considered insane. Don't know about iPad Safari default.

In theory if you are on a secure site then your password can't be compromised when sent (though we now know the NSA can crack that). A bigger problem is if there is a virus on your system or one you use in an Internet cafe, which can intercept passwords.

Sadly, there is always some degree of risk, usually acceptable.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM

Passwords are transmitted whether you type it in or have it saved, so it makes no difference.
It is impossible to be secure on a public WiFi network.
However the chance of your information being intercepted is small.
If you save passwords on your devices protect the device with a master password. Not foolproof, for phones there are machines that will crack a password, but it is better than nothing.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Passwords are transmitted whether you type it in or have it saved, so it makes no difference.

Sure but it's normally encrypted when it's transmitted. Passwords aren't generally sent out in the clear -- unless it's a poor site.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM

My European SIM card with data is too expensive for regular use.

You should get a cheaper card. 20 Euro for 4-5GB worth of data isn't really expensive.

I recently read that having a saved password for social media sites is bad. Right? I had thought the opposite would be true because you're not typing in any passwords.

Not to split hairs, but there's a difference between having your browser remember your password and having a site remember you.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM

While connected to public wi-fi I would use a vpn client; just google for a free one for Ipad. Same true for Android. As far as data safety in case device is stolen you can use a more complex screen lock for either device; more likely thief wouldn't bother with cracking it and will flash new OS thus deleting all data on the device.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Make sure that the free wifi site is really being offered by the cafe and not by the data thief with the laptop sitting beside you.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM

I've heard that some people have a word document with lots of text in it - including one "word" that is your password. they then copy and paste the "word" that is the password into the password site (obviously have the browser not remember passwords).

That would defeat a keylogger, but may not if another type of hack is on a network.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM

I always assume that the Wi-Fi is subject to snooping whether free or not. For transaction using SSL, you are already protected. However, there are many instances sensitive info is transmitted in the clear. Think about resetting your password. They send you existing or a temporary password unencrypted. If the email you are using is SSL protected, gmail works this way, the messages are encrypted between gmail server and you but not between the sender and gmail server. For hotmail, you have to consciously turn on the SSL for all transactions. I use VPN when I have to receive sensitive info over an unprotected airwave - the last leg.
I keep seldom used account info, FF accounts, etc. in keepass which encrypts the container. For often used accounts, banks and credit cards, there is nothing written down. They are not the accounts I have problem remembering the account info.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have a learning curve.

Spark chaser, what Sim do you have. I just bought a new one.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM

I have an account with T-Mobile Deutschland. I can get a weekly pass for most of Europe for 9-15 Euro and that's what I do because that what works best for me. I use Lebara in the UK.

Check this thread out for help on selecting the best SIM for you: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...m-threads.html