iPod Touch - A Few Questions

Apr 17th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

iPod Touch - A Few Questions

I'm definitely not up to speed on techno-gadgets, beyond a notebook - which I am not taking with me. But someone is loaning me an iPod Touch for our trip to Italy and France. I think I've got it figured out about downloading podcasts (like NPR's Fresh Air), music, and even a couple of Rick Steves AudioGuides, etc.

But - will I be able to use it for email and internet searches for restaurants, etc? I was hoping I'd find access to WiFi hotspots or that the hotel might provide access. I just read on this forum something about SIM cards for iPads in Europe, and, boy am I confused now. Sorry for my utter ignorance, but I just need a little clarification here about what it takes to use the iPod Touch the way I imagined.

Any recommended apps? (Just in case I get this figured out). Thanks!
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM

You can't use SIM cards in iPod Touches because it doesn't have a cellular radio like the iPhone or iPad.

You can log into web email sites like Yahoo or GMail easily. But since the iPod isn't yours, I don't know about configuring the built-in Mail program to retrieve your own email.

Yes with Wifi, you can use it for browsing -- if you can borrow and iPad even better with the bigger screen.

If you're not sure about whether you will have Wifi access where you're going, try to download as much stuff before you leave. Or check with the hotels where you're staying about whether they have Wifi in the hotel and if they charge extra.

I wouldn't expect to find open Wifi if you are out and about though.
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM

You can use the iPod Touch to do Internet searches when connected to a WiFi hotspot, no sim card required. You can set the iPod up to download your emails automatically when connected to a hotspot, but you will have to set up the email program on the iPod. Otherwise you will have to go online and check you email through your own hosting service (internet provider).

You can only download Apple apps to the iPod if you have an iTunes account, but there are other Apps out there that do not require you to sign into an iTunes account in order to down load.
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM

I am not a big fan of proprietary hardware but I just helped someone set up her iTouch. I agree with all that has been written but I should like to add that with a bit of pre-planning you can download many useful apps such as maps of the métro system and have them ready to use when you arrive.

McDonald´s and Starbucks (among other places) will have free wifi so if you take the time to setup your email accounts, you will have access to very useful tools.
Apr 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM

We used the Metro app last year while we were in Paris (and the Tube app in London, also) . One does not need to be on line, and we found in invaluable to plan our Metro trips. I think I paid 4.99 (??) for it, worth EVERY penny!
Apr 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM

For France, there is the Louvre app (which is pretty big in size), Versailles Gardens, Fotopedia Paris. These are all free.

I also like Metr0 (number zero at the end) which will give you a metro search engine (input two stations and it will find you the routes) for several metro systems in the world.

There is also Cityzeum which uses GPS to show you attractions nearby. RATP Lite and SNCF Direct are for the French train system.

These are all free.

There are paid apps. like the Lonely Planet and Fodor guide apps. which are electronic versions of their books.
Apr 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Since it isn't your own iPad Touch, just go online in a WiFi area by clicking on "Safari.: Once online,enter your provider's website, etc..I used it all over Europe but only when WiFI was available.
Apr 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this info so far. This iPod Touch belongs to DD but she told me to erase and reset everything on it, then load what I want. (It will be erasing over the next 2 hours)! She is away on business, was too busy to show me much other than turning off and on, sync it to my iMac (not too clear on this yet) so my learning curve is very steep! I only have a week to get this figured out.

Appreciate all the tips for apps. We are going to Italy and then Paris. Metr0 sounds handy. I will check out Cityzeum, Fotopedia Paris, and others mentioned. Definitely the Fodors guides. I already have the books but they are heavy and take up too much precious space.

Is there something like Yelp for Venice, Rome, Paris, etc? (restaurants, especially, with maps so we can see where to eat if we happen to be hungry in a particular neighborhood?
I have no clue how to set up the email, so unless there are some instructions on this thing, I will have to leave that out, I guess.

Please keep the recommendations coming! Thank you all!
Apr 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I haven't tried it but this one seems to have good reviews:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paris...316996121?mt=8

I think something like Yelp may be only on the French app. store. For something like restaurants, I'd look at reviews online and compile a list from sites like this one, especially trip reports and so forth. You can put that list into the iPod Touch if you want but you can also easily just print it out and take the printouts with you.

That's what I do, make custom Google Maps and print it out with the locations of interest marked on the map.
Apr 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM

If you have Yahoo, Gmail, Aol, etc. you just access your mail the same way you would on an internet cafe computer. Go to the website and log in.
Apr 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM

elnap,

You'll need to set yourself up with an Apple
App Store account to be able to download apps.

There are lots of apps, many free, in the Travel section of the store.
Apr 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM

There is a notepad on the iTouch screen where you jot things down. Look at this app..iSecure where you can enter your important codes and info. On iTunes AppStore, look at a language translator and a currency converter, both very useful. Also, look at Rick Steves free apps.
Apr 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM

If you have saved doc files with info you'll want access to, you can open an account with a service like Dropbox -- you save a file to Dropbox from your computer and pick it up with the Dropbox app on the Touch. I have scanned copies of our passports, air and hotel reservations, list of prescription meds, etc., in my Dropbox files.
Apr 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM

elnap29, I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread - I'm taking my iPod Touch to Italy in a few weeks, and the information here has been REALLY helpful! So thanks, everyone.

I did want to say - once you figure out how to get iTunes on your computer and sync your iPod, the system is really easy to use. I think you'll love it. My mom just got an iPhone (before any of her tech-savvy [adult] kids!) and she loves it. She does a lot just with the Safari button on the phone, not bothering with apps, so if you have wifi where you're staying, you'll be able to do a lot.
Apr 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

You all are amazing! So many helpful tips here! I do already have an iTunes account; however, my husband also has one on this same iMac computer so that has complicated things a bit, as he is going to use an iPod also. (Sync 2 iPods on 1 computer ?) I am now about to take a long drive to an Apple Store for a group "workshop" on iPod Basics, so I hope that helps somewhat.

Your app recommendations are wonderful! I must share one that I found; Talking Italian Phrasebook. It is free, put out by Fiat, has some essential phrases, including "I want a Fiat 500" - LOL! The rest of it seems pretty convenient, but if anyone knows of a better app for some limited Italian for travelers, please let me know. French, too. (We have a Rick Steves Language Phrasebook, but taking books takes up so much space and weight.