Fraterna Domus - Rome - Is it safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Fraterna Domus in Rome with my school from July 11th -14th, and after reading many reviews on its location, schedules, meals, rooms, cleanliness etc, I couldn't find a review on it's safety. I just basically wondered if it had a safe as I'll be taking my camera, money etc, and also, most importantly, a place to store my suitcase, such as a wardrobe or even space under the bed, as it was very expensive and I'm worried it might get stolen. I'm just hoping someone can put my mind at rest!
Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Do you mean the convent? Why don't you email them and ask if they have a safe.

E-mail [email protected]

Won't you be taking your camera with you during the day and taking photos? I'm guessing you won't be leaving it in a safe during the day.

Storing suitcases...I'm sure there's some place in the room to put it. I think you're worrying about something that is nothing.

Is it your suitcase that was expensive that you are worried about being stolen or your camera? Either way, I wouldn't worry. I've never had a suitcase or a camera or anything else (including money and credit cards) stolen from a hotel.

Just enjoy your time in Rome and be happy you have this opportunity!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM
J62

You can always bring a thin cable/bicycle lock if you want to lock your suitcase to the bedpost.

I think that's overkill, but if it gives you peace of mind you can buy a lock like that Walmart or Target for just a few $$.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM

With a name like that you know that it must be safe to be there..
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:07 AM

Anna, my now-17 year old daughter stayed at Fraterna Domus last summer on a two-week academic program. Her group spent several days in Rome at the beginning of their program, then went to Florence for four days, and returned to Fraterna Domus for several more days.

I told her about your post and question, and she wanted me to tell you that it's a very safe place! The nuns and other guests are very friendly. She said it feels like family, and meals are taken together. (The food was great, she said.) She had no problem leaving things in her room at all.

Actually, she found a wallet that had several hundred euro in it and turned it in to the nuns... they were able to return it to the owner.

We dropped her off at the convent in Rome and had a chance to meet one of the sisters. It seemed like a very very safe place to me. The front door was locked and we had to ring. People from the street can't just walk in.

I hope you have a wonderful stay. My daughter sure did!

Kathy
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Kathy for taking the time to ask her for me! My teachers didn't give us any information on it so I was worried it wouldn't be very nice but I'm glad I know a bit more about it now! I'm glad the nuns are friendly too as a lot of the reviews I'd read said they were very ignorant and hostile, but I guess you never know till you experience it yourself!

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have a great time!

Anna
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Adrienne for your advice, and for taking the time to answer my post! I'm sure your right and it's something I shouldn't worry about!

Thanks again,

Anna
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Anna - You should be more worried about pickpockets on the streets than the nuns stealing your suitcase!

Get a copy of "Let's Go" guide book and read about street safety - nothing valuable in your day pack, moneybelt (although I don't use one myself), never lay anything down anywhere, even in a shop or restaurant. Do not hang your purse over your chair in a restaurant.

Just be cautious but don't spend time worrying about pickpockets. I'm sure your teachers and chaperones have everything under control.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM

The nuns at Fraterna Domus ignorant and hostile? Where on earth did you read "a lot of reviews" that said that?

Some of the nuns don't speak English and some prefer not to; that does not make them ignorant. They are very kind and helpful if approached respectfully; they may become less friendly if approached with a condescending attitude or with the suspicion that they might steal a suitcase.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't stayed at Fraterna Domus, but other convents in Rome have signs up about watching your belongings in the breakfast room and other public areas. These are convents and they do take people in from the streets at times if they have space and there is a need. They may have somewhere to keep things, but perhaps not a safe, just some shelves in a room/closet they keep locked. You would need some kind of container or something you could lock/seal if you wanted them to keep something for you.