Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to venice, florence, and rome next month, heard about crime especially in rome, suggestions on how to protect your valuables?

Search

Going to venice, florence, and rome next month, heard about crime especially in rome, suggestions on how to protect your valuables?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we'll be going to venice, florence, and rome next month, heard that crime is a problem, especially in Rome. What is the best way to protect yourself from becoming a victim? Is a fanny pack better for guys than carrying a wallet? What about purses for women? Being paranoid or rightly concerned? Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:15 PM

big advise....just practice common sense...that's all. Crime is everywhere, so keep your valuable close to you or hidden.

Save travels
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM

I agree with Carlos. Act the way you would in any large city in your native country. (If you're an American, NYC, for example.)

Personally, I'd avoid the fanny pack like the plague. In terms of a purse, I would recommend something that you can keep your hand over the opening at all times, and I'd recommend a purse that zips close, and maybe even has a flap over the zipper.

The only place I've known of pickpockets in Rome is in the train station, but I myself have never been a victim.

Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and always have your hand or hands on your valuables, such as your purse.

You will do fine. Enjoy yourselves!

BC
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM

The men I traveled with put their wallet in a jacket pocket or front pants pocket.

A purse with a zipper and an inner zipper section for the wallet might be a good prevention.

Consider a slim pouch that goes underneath your jeans, for your passport or a second credit card. (Not the daily money you would need to access). REI has several brands. Use of these money belts or pouches has been debated in the past on this website. I like them. Others don't.

My husband opted for a similar pouch that went down the front of his shirt. This would be too noticeable with a lightweight summer shirt.

My opinion is that there is more theft (but less violent crime) in Rome. But even if there were no more crime than in your home town, the odds are that a few travelers will still take a hit. And if it happens to be you, there would be more hassle to replace stolen items than at home. And it would cost you valuable travel time.

Whatever you choose, be aware of your surroundings. Things happen fast, especially in a crowd.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM

My family never had a problem last year in Italy. However, we were SUPER aware of our surroundings. I bought a purse that could be carried across the body, and kept at least one hand on it. It had a full zipper with a flap.

We did meet a couple from Washington state that had had a camera stolen out of the backpack worn by the wife.

Be extra careful and you should be fine.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Hi

This topic pops up from time to time. I agree with CarlosSandoval...just common sense and you should be fine. Don't get so paranoid that you can't enjoy the stay because you worry too much at least. My wife and I went to Rome last year and we stayed near Termini and we didn't experience any problems at all. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are overly concerned get an under-clothing money belt to use. They come in styles that go around the waist, or around the neck, strapped onto the leg, etc.

Personally I just use a normal pocketbook at keep it close to me, but I'm not overly concerned about crime when traveling.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Pickpockets usually go for the wallet, so don't carry a wallet -- take a credit card and some folded Euro notes, inside a zippered compartment in a purse or divided between shirt and pants pockets. No need to be paranoid because there's nothing obvious for a pickpocket to grab.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM
MaureenB

Using common sense is the best defense. Even so, a would-be pickpocket did manage to unzip my purse in Venice one evening. I felt a jostle, and checked my purse, which was small and tucked closely under my arm with a strap over my shoulder. I still can't figure how the young man was able to unzip it, but he did. If I hadn't been aware of my surroundings, and sensitive to being jostled, his next move would have picked out my wallet, situated at the top in my purse.
So, I escaped that time, but learned how bad it would have been because I foolishly had all my credit cards and cash in the one wallet. My daughter chided me about that one. Her advice, which is good, is to separate those valuables, so you might only lose one credit/debit card, not two or three, to a thief.
This advice goes for any city anywhere, not just Venice, obviously.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Fanny packs or back packs of any kind are asking for trouble - first because they mark you out as a tourist and second because you can;t see what's going on behind you.

Just folkow the normal precautions you would in any city:

Keep your valuables in your wallet(front pocket for men if you don;t have an inside jacket pocket) and inside a closed/zipped purse for women (wear purse over your sholder or bandolier style - not hanging from your arm)

Never put your things down anywhere unless you hold onto them

Be aware of people around you and don;t let yourself be squashed up against others in a crowd (if theat means taking a cab instead of a bus - do it)

Don;t call attention to yourself by standing in the middle of a sidewalk examining maps, guidbeooks etc - always walk over to the side of the street in a non-crowded area.

Pickpockets are found everywhere - and they will steal from those who make it easiest.

(I had a friend who was constantly having her purse/wallet stolen - because she wandered around thinking of other things with her purse unzipped, put it on the seat next to her on the bus and on the back of the chair or sidwalk when sitting in a cafe. Her checkbook was stolen (really lost) so many times the bank closed her account and told her to go elsewhere. And all her fault because she was oblivious to everything around her.)
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As Maureen touches on, I think one really easy thing to do is to not keep everything in one place. Especially if two people are traveling together, split up the cards/cash. Or even solo I leave some of each item (cards/cash) in my hotel room or have it divided up between my purse and somewhere else on my person.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I have a friend that puts her money, credit cards, atm cards etc. in two small cosmetic cases. The items she does not plan on needing she puts in the inside zipper compartment of her purse and the other cosmetic case holds what she will need for the day and she puts that in the bottom of her purse. Not a bad idea I suppose as it seems like most pickpockets are looking for wallets.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Be especially careful, aware and alert when you are in a very crowded place such as Ponte Vecchio in Florence or on the bridges over the Grand Canal in Venice. This holds true for any city but when you are traveling in an unfamiliar place or jet lagged you are even more vulnerable.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Due to OPs' warnings about crime in Rome I used a money belt for the first time on this year's trip to Rome. It worked well and \i didn't get lumbered with carrying everything as normally happens if I carry my handbag. WE did take a rucksac that got passed around the family to carry water, camera, snacks, etc. I'm planning on using the moneybelt again in floernce and Venice, so it obviously works for me.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I use one of those "healthy bags" which has a two-direction outside zipper with two tabs; I use a twistie to tie the tabs together; there's an inside hook, and I put my credit card and money in a change purse that has a zipper with an opening and attach it to that hook. When paying for purchases, the change purse gets opened but never comes out of the purse itself. I also wear it across my body, not on my shoulder or back. The bag is certainly not designer wear, but it gives me a sense of security.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
GBC

I think the key to not becoming the victum of these, usually, petty crimes is to be aware of your personal space. You need to feel that there is an area of two or more feet around you that is your personal space. If someone, anyone, comes inside it, go instantly on alert. Remember that the most successful pickpockets are the ones that pretend to be helping you. Don't stop to read signs held out to you. Be about your business and nothing else.

Remember, that with the same awareness that you would exercise in any American city, you will be fine. Don't allow it to impact your travels.