Search

Frascati and Positano or Amalfi Coast?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frascati and Positano or Amalfi Coast?

Hi Fordonians,

I am taking my mom back to Frascati where she was as a young girl I'm doing this trip on a somewhat budget. I'm thinking we'll stay in Rome and make a day trip to Frascati? Unless you think we should spend one night there? Here is my dilemma though. I dream of going back to Positano where I was very brief many years ago and I would also love to visit Cinque Terre where I've never been. How do you recommend doing this and if I have to choose between these places which one? Capri is another place I would love to see. I haven't decided for how many days so I'm pretty open there although I know it gets pricey with hotels the longer we stay of course. But I'm trying to see as much as possible this time around. Or at least the places I've dreamed of going back to We are thinking of going in September btw. I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations from you all. Thank you in advance!
Old May 10th, 2019, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your budget is tight, your plan is a little ambitious, but we don't know what "tight" means in your case. It's a long way from Cinque Terre down to Positano so you're going to have to decide what you can afford to do in whatever time you have available. Positano is an expensive place to stay so Sorrento may be a cheaper option.

In any case it depends on where you're flying into. If you are in Europe, then Pisa, head south via Rome. If you're in the US, then it will depend on where you are and where you can fly into. If you can do Naples, then do the AC from there, head north via Rome and then the CT. If you can fly out of Milan to home, then that should do it.
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! As you can tell I don't have all it all planned out yet Only a wish to see all these wonderful places Thank you for the suggestion about Sorrento. I will definitely keep that in mind. And you'll probably see me back here once I have some kind of plan
Old May 12th, 2019, 02:08 PM

Frascati is a nice old town but the gems of the Castelli Romani (sp?) - the string of towns sloping up to the large volcanic lake and neat old towns, including Castello Gondolfo, where popes vacation and retired ones seem to live. going around the lake is cool all the towns are connected by rail so if chose Frascati I'd add a day for that.

But the Castelli Romani area would not be my pick - the Amalfi especially offers a lot of day trips and neat old seaside town - great place for a week or more. do day trip to Capri from Amalfi by direct ferries in summer.

The CT to me is just too crowded now - those are tiny towns that can barely absorb the bus tours and day trippers - hiking trails can be crowded or muddy, etc. too. Plus it's a long way from Rome.

You need no car to visit any of those places and really don't want one anyway in those places. For lots on trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Book tickets Rome to Naples as soon as possible for neat discounted fares.
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:54 PM

Positano is on the Amalfi Coast; kind of between Sorrento and Amalfi the town. I know folks who do enjoy staying in Sorrento; we've visited for the day but frankly we prefer Ravello up in the hills above Amalfi -- if you want to consider it there's an excellent and really reasonable b&b there called Casa di Vania, in the same building as another one, La Bella Vita. Positano is nice but I agree with above that it may be pricey. Also the traffic along the AC can be quite intense depending on when you go and can take a fair amount of time (the big blue SITA busses are great, though). Ferries exist but also take time. Be mindful of trying to jam in too much would be my best suggestion. CT towns are closer together and reachable by local train, ferry, and (some) walking.

The CT is easier to get around and closer to hubs such as Florence, even Milan, Genoa and the like. But as noted above it gets crowded, somewhat depending on when you go. We found it less pricey (if you get b&b/guesthouse accommodation) than other regions and the AC.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! I have finally started to plan somewhat and we are thinking of spending a few days in Positano mid September but now everything seemed to be booked there. Would have loved to stay at Hotel California in Positano that got great reviews but that is also fully booked. I know Positano is very pricey but does anyone here know of anything reasonable there? We are happy with a basic standard room with a great location most of all. But if we are not able to find a hotel in Positano where do you recommend us staying to be as close as possible? Grateful for your advice
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 06:03 PM
kja

Have you checked booking.com? That's where I'd look.

If your goal is to be in an affordable place near Positano, you might want to consider Amalfi or even underrated Salerno. Many people recommend Sorrento; I prefer to actually be on the Amalfi Coast. Ravello is sublime, but at least as pricey (if not more so) as Positano.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 06:13 PM

What exactly is your budget for a hotel?
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Hotel in Positano

Two years ago I stayed at The Hotel Pasitea throughly enjoyed it but if you come by bus from Sorrento get off at the first stop for Positano which is the top of the hill , and we caught the local bus done into Positano
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 04:25 PM

In Positano you might try Hotel Poseidon. I know I have seen many Fodorites recommend it. Positano is lovely and we dream of going back.

As an alternative, have you considered Ischia?
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Hotel

Thank you all for your suggestions but I’ve realized I’m too late in the game as most hotels are either too pricey or fully booked. I have decided to postpone Positano until next summer and instead do it right. Earlier planning and booking of hotel rooms. If I’m thinking of going June or July of next year should I book hotels now already?
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:38 PM
kja

Most hotels don't book this far in advance.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Hotel

Oh, how far in advance could I book a hotel then?
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hotels in Positano do indeed book way in advance. Leaving it until 2020 will usually end in disappointment. How far in advance will depend on individual hotels so try booking online first. If the booking system won't let you book, then email the hotel(s) you like and ask them direct.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 01:24 PM

For high season, some favorite hotels do book far ahead, so when you pick dates, check out your choices. We could make good recommendations for you if we knew the price range. Many do not care for Sorrento, but there are some wonderful hotels with great views. Have a look at Hotel Minerva up on via Capo, which has an incredible terrace with great views, and they do sell out. Also check out Hotel Lorelei et Londres, which just reopened after being closed for ten years, and has an absolutely magical setting and views. I have not stayed there yet since they reopened, but hope to.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hotel

Thank you for the hotel recommendations! I just didn’t realize how expensive accommodations were there. And how booked everything turned out to be. If I’m only going to spend 4-5 days there I feel as though I want to stay in Positano. But I can’t spend more than $300/night and hopefully a little less than that. Is that even possible between June-Sep? Would I be able to find a hotel there with that kind of rate last minute or better wait until next summer? Is it a big difference going there in June or Sep when it comes to crowds etc?
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 08:07 PM

Not sure you will find better rates for next year, just more options still available. Last minute looking will likely be frustrating any time.
Although I would happily stay in Positano or Amalfi, etc., I think the best areas of Sorrento are often overlooked.
I looked only at a few things in Sorrento that I am very familiar with and would highly recommend. The Minerva is booked through the beginning of November and has a lot booked already for next year. The Lorelei is still under $300.00 per night and does have rooms this September. That, I am sure, is because it just reopened this month. When people who loved it for years, find it has reopened, I bet it will be booked solid. There are a few more, and some lovely places further South, but if your heart is set on Positano, there must be other Fodorites who can help you.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Positano

Thank you for your reply and Sorrento recommendation! Although at this point when I have more time to plan it all better I am thinking of splurging and stay in Positano. Since mom is 75 and even though she’s in good shape I want to consider her age and make it as comfortable and convenient for her as possible. And if it’s only for 4 nights and once in a lifetime kind of trip it might be worth it. So I’m thinking flying from Sweden to Naples and take a ferry to Positano? And from Positano we can see Sorrento, Ravello and Amalfi coast by taking the local bus? And a boat trip to Capri. From there we take a train to Rome and spend 2 nights before flying back to Sweden. If we plan on going end of June next year should I start booking hotels in March or even earlier? And is it a big difference in temperature and crowds between June and September? Very grateful for all your advice on this one